The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wont pick up goose

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
    Hi Brooke11, I just went through this last month with my yellow male. It's not unusual for the dog not to pick up the goose. they're big, heavy, birds, and a lot more to handle than any duck. His first experience was with a goose my buddy shot during early season. Threw it out in the yard, very excited, went out, mouthed it, sniffed it, pulled some feathers trying to pick it up gingerly, and finally looked at me as if to say " just what am I supposed to do with this monster dad?". He's been force fetched and knows hold, I put the goose in his mouth, commanded hold, praised, then give. Put it back in, hold, backed off a few feet, commanded here, he dropped it. Back in, hold, here, and he brought it to me and held it. My buddy took it out about 30 yds, threw it, I sent Zip, he got to the bird and really had to work at getting it in his mouth, and brought it back, lots of praise. That was it, he started jumping around excited, and no more hesitation with geese. But through all of this, I needed the very basics, fetch, hold. I agree with the others here, find some experienced help, look around for a club near you, that would give you some people to help get you going. Good luck.
    Thanks ShawnR - this is very helpful advise and a technique i have not yet tried. I will give this a shot

Thanks to everyone that is offering up suggestions and reading material. I really appreciate all the help This site is offering WAY more ideas than the michigan sportsmans forum and i am glad to have joined!

Hi again all.
    well have taken your advice and have been working on FF with my dog and after about a week i now have a couple more questions based on what i am seeing from her. I am using the ear pinch method. It took her about one afternoon for her to get the picture - grab bumper and pinch stops. She is now grabbing the bumper upon the fetch command without any pinch whatsoever. She is also holding upon my command (this took her two days). So i got the dead goose out of hte freezer and she is now only bringing that back half way and then proceeds to drop it and lick it. So i dont know if this is because i have not FF'd her enough yet (i kinda quite pinching her since she will grab the bumper out of my hand upon my command)?.. Or do i need to FF her wth dead birds too? It may also be that i am trying to work with her too much (and she is getting board) but i dont know since i have never taught FF. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

FF should take MUCH longer than a week...as in weeks to month(maybe more) of short 5-15 min sessions. You have not FF the dog at all. You need some help or a good FF video to watch.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    FF should take MUCH longer than a week...as in weeks to month(maybe more) of short 5-15 min sessions. You have not FF the dog at all. You need some help or a good FF video to watch.
    Ok. Thanks, that helps. All i did was watch the methodology on YouTube just to get an idea.. I will look into a video...Thanks again.

Someone here did post some youtube videos of thier progress throughout. You check those out if you can find them as another reference. I would still look at a complete video.
    Kendall Layne

Ah Ha found it! Check these out...there is even a critique from the RTF's. This is a good watch/read. This will not replace some professional instruction on a teaching video, but this is what you should expect.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...estions-Needed
    Kendall Layne

Thanks for these clips - they are very helpful!

Was finally able to bring down a buffle yesterday and a malard today on the water. Brooke retrieved both like a champ!