The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wont pick up goose

The training program that I recommend is Total Retriever Training, 2d edit. See banner above. There are several other good ones:
    Smartworks by Evan Graham
    Fowldogs by Rick S.

There is lots of information on this site about these programs. You could do a search and find tons of information about who likes what, and what is contained in the program.

Ken beat me to the punch in recommending Mike Lardy. I second his opinion on Water Dog by Richard Wolters. It is very much outdated and doesn't deal with force fetch or ecollar conditioning.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 10-16-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Brooke, from what you describe I would re-evaluate my use of the collar. You also need to use other types of pressure. I think you have a couple of options. You can FF using other methods. You can work on a forced hold. You can counter condition the ecollar.

I have to ask if your dog might have gotten hurt while retrieving a goose, maybe a feisty cripple, tangle in some weeds, etc.?

If you would like to hear more, PM me.
    I mistakely used the e collar about a year ago to correct a drywall chewing incident in our mudroom - fixed the drywall problem but now i have caused a training problem. What other types of pressure do you recommend? What other methods can i use for force fetch (other than the toe hitch or ear pinch). If i can train her without the collar that would be ideal - i had to use the collar on my old lab since she was very stubborn. Using a different method would be great. Brooke never got hurt from a goose - i have made sure they have all been dead and there was nothing to get tangled in.. It is just odd to me that she will do what i ask of her in the yard but will not retrieve a goose in the field.. I saw your pm but i am currenlty working so i cannot give you a call.

From what you've typed i dont really think you've given ear pinch, collar pressure a fair shake at this point by going through a GOOD force fetch program, and are giving up on it from 1 poor choice a year ago. Youre also making an assumption that the ear pinch will cause a result of her not wanting to be near you. can you find a reputable pro close to you that could see your dog and make a professional assessment?

My old dog jumps with glee with the e collar and i guess i thought Brooke would as well, but it is very apparent to me: two different two dogs may require two different types of training. i only tried the collar for training a couple of times. as soon as i put it on her she will not even retrieve. i learned about FF from ppl on michigan sportsmans forum and from what i have read online. i have not taught her to hold - i have been focusing on the basics of sit, stay, direction, use of smell, and bringing the bird all the way back to me. holding was next on my list but i have refocused on her actually picking up a fresh goose as this seems to be a bigger problem to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BlaineT View Post
    From what you've typed i dont really think you've given ear pinch, collar pressure a fair shake at this point by going through a GOOD force fetch program, and are giving up on it from 1 poor choice a year ago. Youre also making an assumption that the ear pinch will cause a result of her not wanting to be near you. can you find a reputable pro close to you that could see your dog and make a professional assessment?
    Ok that was one of my concerns: maybe i am not giving it a good enough attempt.. i will have to check around for a pro here...

it sounds to me like you took your old dogs E-collar and "Lit Up" your young dog for flossing with the wall-board without propper, fair E-Collar conditioning. Also sounds like you have a smart dog that remembers the wall-board situation. This is a good dog to train.
    BUT....
    From the wee few posts here, I feel you can not do it alone. You can not do it from the internets. You can not do it from waterdog. Let us find you a local retriever club with a good am. or a pro near you.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

You sir, have no foundation under your house that you are trying to build. No meaness inteded. You are, for sure, in need of a plan. Follow the advice above, find some QUALITY material and some QUALITY help.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Why such a secret as to where here is?

It is not uncommon for dogs to do things in the yard and when they get out they just want to sniff around. I have seen this a lot in dogs brought to me to train. They need to get out of the yard and explore. There used to be an old adage on ob, that you had to do ob in five different places before you could consider a dogs ob was good.

To a certain extent the same is true with retrieving.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 10-16-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Put the e-collar away for the season. Your dog only associates it with getting lit up for chewing on the wallboards.
    Finish you goose season.
    They afterwards start with "Hold". Only pressure needed is gentle pressure. Your NOT slamming or shoving objects in his mouth. I would use small canvas dummies, or wooden dowels and I only do it a couple of times for short periods of time making sure you are praising at the proper time. I have a overly sensitive dog that I have in my house now and we may work on hold many times of the day useing lots of praise for effort. Work up to longer periods of time. "IF" you feel that you are NOT making progress then seek out professional help. If money is an issue then work out a deal (I'll throw for you, Or clean your kennels, fix your... if you can help me with my dog).
    Same thing with the collar.
    Good Luck
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Hi Brooke11, I just went through this last month with my yellow male. It's not unusual for the dog not to pick up the goose. they're big, heavy, birds, and a lot more to handle than any duck. His first experience was with a goose my buddy shot during early season. Threw it out in the yard, very excited, went out, mouthed it, sniffed it, pulled some feathers trying to pick it up gingerly, and finally looked at me as if to say " just what am I supposed to do with this monster dad?". He's been force fetched and knows hold, I put the goose in his mouth, commanded hold, praised, then give. Put it back in, hold, backed off a few feet, commanded here, he dropped it. Back in, hold, here, and he brought it to me and held it. My buddy took it out about 30 yds, threw it, I sent Zip, he got to the bird and really had to work at getting it in his mouth, and brought it back, lots of praise. That was it, he started jumping around excited, and no more hesitation with geese. But through all of this, I needed the very basics, fetch, hold. I agree with the others here, find some experienced help, look around for a club near you, that would give you some people to help get you going. Good luck.