The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hasn't come into heat ????

Default Hasn't come into heat ????

I have a 18 month old tiny female Lab that weighs 50#'s. She was a FT Breeding and has not come into heat. Has any one experienced this or any suggestions?
    Last edited by Jeff Brown; 10-16-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: change title

My young one (NAFC sire, QAA dam) that weighed in at a whopping 46 lbs when I had her OFA's done had her first heat cycle at 22 months. I'm relatively certain she had not had one prior to that since even a "silent" heat should have been indicated by my male.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug "Josie"
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH "Terra"
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH "Pow"
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise "Sky"
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot "Crash"
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza "Ben"
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister "Sissy"

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

How was your pup until she came into heat. I am ready to wash mine out. She has 3 screws loose. She came out of a high end FT breeding. I wanted to run derby but wont embarrass myself. She is the first dog after 17 years that I failed a JH with. I am heading to the vet today to rule out any medical problems. God females are squirly.....

Jeff,

I have a 4 1/2 year old that I just bred and had 9 puppies with. At 4 1/2 years old she only had 2 previous heat cycles. I had all kinds of test done with my Vet and they all came back ok. I also have a male that lives in the house with her, so I am 100% certain that we never missed a cycle either.

I guess what I am saying is ..... dont worry about it. Think about it this way, she's not coming into heat during trial, hunt test or hunting season.

Chad Radt
    HR Wildrose Theodores Lucky Seven MH, "Seven"
    Say Good Night Irene QAA, "Peace"

Fuel the Champion Within, PURINA ProPlan Performance
    TriTronics Dealer

Banned

I've had several that did not come in until after their second birthday. I've had two that were three years or more before their first cycle.

WRL

Just like in human women athletes, dogs heat cycles can be irregular or absent when in training or at a high level of work. My bitch will only come in once a year when in training.
    Jennifer Brown DVM, DACVS, DACVSMR, CCRT
    K-9 SportsVet

HRCH Maranatha's She's Got Phanesse MH, SAR U-1
    Maranatha's Black Talon Phallon JH, SAR U-1

www.lpkennels.com
    www.k9sportsvet.com

Lady's and gents what about their general attitude are they or were they squirly. Mine ceratinly is.

I got one she will be 2 in Dec. Have not had a heat yet,or one that I noticed. She is in the house so I should of noticed it. No males around so I'm not worried about that. Her litter mate has already had 3 heats??Yeah she is a little nuts. Speaking of nuts, I thinking about getting another male pup next... Jim
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brown View Post
    How was your pup until she came into heat. I am ready to wash mine out. She has 3 screws loose. She came out of a high end FT breeding. I wanted to run derby but wont embarrass myself. She is the first dog after 17 years that I failed a JH with. I am heading to the vet today to rule out any medical problems. God females are squirly.....
    I ran 5 intact females, ages 18 months to 3.5 years, in HT and some Qual this summer, they vary in degrees as to being affected by their cycles, and IME, their first one is often the worst as far as hormonal changes/affected in the field-wise. As for when they come in, mine have been anywhere from 10 months to 26 months, with one at 27 months now and no signs. She's hard-bodied, zero fat, trains daily. But if your female has always been "squirrely", as your post seems to indicate, that may just be what she is, hormones or not, or she's just immature and will grow up eventually.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Person View Post
    I got one she will be 2 in Dec. Have not had a heat yet,or one that I noticed. She is in the house so I should of noticed it. No males around so I'm not worried about that. Her litter mate has already had 3 heats??Yeah she is a little nuts. Speaking of nuts, I thinking about getting another male pup next... Jim
    Jim Thanks very much. How have you been. Funny you should mention the male. My exact thoughts. Female dogs are nuts. I had a MH that could not do a multple when she started to come in to her cycle. Then 3 weeks following it was. Oh I know what that is --Women are Brutal... Dogs that is.