The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hasn't come into heat ????

My husband and I were given a female out of the FT/HT breeding. She was 2 1/2 and only had 1 heat cycle. She was 43 #. We put 7 lbs on her and she finally started having regular heat cycles at 3 1/2. She was just too thin. She just had 6 puppies 7 days ago and she is 6 y/o.
    Last edited by Patti Benton; 10-16-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    Patti

HRCH UH Benton's Magnum Opus MH WC - Magnum (500 points) September 11, 1994 - May 9, 2007
    HRCH UH Fowl Play's Dust Devil - Dusty (500 points) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006
    HRCH UH Benton's Ria of Opus CGC - Ria (1520 points) March 2, 2002 - August 6, 2012 we miss you baby girl
    HRCH CH Go West Mamma's Last Nerve CGC RN RO1- Emma (450 points and counting)
    HR GRCH Benton's Opus Pocket Change CGC- Penny (40 points - just getting started)

When I read a post and the owner states how much a dog weighs I always wonder the height of the dog. My four year old is 50 pounds of muscle and 20 inches tall. She had her first heat at 16 months. Her niece who belongs to my friend is also around 51-52 pounds, but is 211/2inches tall. She looks very lean and had her first heat at 19 months. I own the great niece and she weighs 56 pounds and is 221/2 inches tall. Her body type is not as lean as her aunt, but not any where close to having the muscle mass of her great aunt. She is 22 months old and has never had a heat. My older female never seemed to have a problem marking until the forth time she came in heat and then I could tell she was off her game. It took her this long to figure out she had hormones. I have been told to wait until after 24 months old before having any test done. I'm hoping that since my older girl just came in heat Monday, my younger girl will want to join in and save me a trip and the expense of a vet visit. I have heard that if you want your female to go into heat enter her in a trial. I just lost $140. in entry fees for my older dog and I just turned in the paper work for my younger girls first agility trial. Hope that does the trick, since the hunt test did not bring on her heat. She did get the junior hunter title, so can't complain.

Terri
    Last edited by Terri; 10-17-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    When I read a post and the owner states how much a dog weighs I always wonder the height of the dog. My four year old is 50 pounds of muscle and 20 inches tall. She had her first heat at 16 months. Her niece who belongs to my friend is also around 51-52 pounds, but is 211/2inches tall. She looks very lean and had her first heat at 19 months. I own the great niece and she weighs 56 pounds and is 221/2 inches tall. Her body type is not as lean as her aunt, but not any where close to having the muscle mass of her great aunt. She is 22 months old and has never had a heat. My older female never seemed to have a problem marking until the forth time she came in heat and then I could tell she was off her game. It took her this long to figure out she had hormones. I have been told to wait until after 24 months old before having any test done. I'm hoping that since my older girl just came in heat Monday, my younger girl will want to join in and save me a trip and the expense of a vet visit. I have heard that if you want your female to go into heat enter her in a trial. I just lost $140. in entry fees for my older dog and I just turned in the paper work for my younger girls first agility trial. Hope that does the trick, since the hunt test did not bring on her heat. She did get the junior hunter title, so can't complain.

Terri
    ************************************************** *********************************************

Terri some of your comments are very interesting. Like a couple of other responders they too also had tiny labs (as I will call them). I have never measured her height but she is small. I commented to one of the vets yesterday who owns an FC in pointers. I felt she did not have the stamina that my 4 yr old does who is also a female. I will also tell you I had a MH who absolutly could not buy a mark when she started to come into heat. I used to laugh about it. I would end up shuting her down for close to 3 months. With the pup I dont know if it's her brains or becuase of hormoines. I am giving her the benifit of the doubt before she becomes someones pet. Thanks Jeff

Jeff - I had 1 female that had pin point marking a month before her cycle and as you said couldn't buy a mark while she was in heat. Then Emma was dumb as a box rocks the month before and great while in heat.
    Patti

HRCH UH Benton's Magnum Opus MH WC - Magnum (500 points) September 11, 1994 - May 9, 2007
    HRCH UH Fowl Play's Dust Devil - Dusty (500 points) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006
    HRCH UH Benton's Ria of Opus CGC - Ria (1520 points) March 2, 2002 - August 6, 2012 we miss you baby girl
    HRCH CH Go West Mamma's Last Nerve CGC RN RO1- Emma (450 points and counting)
    HR GRCH Benton's Opus Pocket Change CGC- Penny (40 points - just getting started)

Patti Laugh Out Loud -- LOL