The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Salmon Poisoning

  1. #1
    Senior Member Gun_Dog2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mohawk Valley
    Posts
    8,686

    Default Salmon Poisoning

    I thought I would post some info regarding “Salmon Poisoning” for those who live in the NW or visit the NW. I’ve had 3 situations with this in the past few years, lost one dog, almost lost one and fortunately was on top of the third with Pete a few weeks ago. I’ve come to appreciate that many vets are not very informed of this condition and in general the medical community still does not know much about the possibilities of dogs getting it twice. My dog Trapper contacted this 2 years ago and I just about lost him but 3 days on IV’s and he pulled through. 2 weeks ago he pulled a dead carp, a very decomposed carp at that, out of the river and one of my other dogs Pete took it away from him. After waiting the incubation period of 7-10 days I noticed a small behavior change in Pete on day 8. By that night his temp had gone up slightly and he just picked at his food. By morning he had eaten his food, but was clearly not himself. I got a stool sample and headed to the vet. At this point I could have put him on oral meds and probably been ok, but I asked the vet to keep him overnight and use IV meds to make sure we got a good treatment going. He has recovered very well.

    Left untreated the mortality rate is 90%+ and even if treated, if not caught early the mortality rate is high. Salmon Poisoning is a bit misleading as any fish can carry the parasite. Its easy to diagnose under microscope as the flukes show up easily in the stool. My vet is talking to OSU about studying Trapper as he is a confirmed case of re-exposure in the wild and he showed no symptoms of problems at all. This is nothing to mess with and early diagnosis is key to treatment.

    http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/salmon.aspx


    http://oregonvma.org/care-health/sal...soning-disease


    /Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

    Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

    https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jennifer Henion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Dogs can also get it from the water - no contact with fish is necessary. My golden got it when he was a pup just by swimming/drinking in a small backwater area on the riverbank. He had no contact with a fish or a carcass. The flukes or worms can be in the water where an infected fish likely was at one time.

    This makes diagnosis very hard for owner. I knew the danger of salmon poisoning, so watched pup and river bank closely to make sure of no contact with fish parts. Had no idea a backwater pond might have flukes. It took 10 or so days before the symptoms showed up: no appetite, very lethargic, diarrhea and then vomiting.

    And of course, these things usually happen on weekends when the vet office is closed. The meds and electrolytes worked very quickly - pup was back to normal in 24 to 48 hours.

    Jennifer

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    And its not the fluke that is the real issue, its the parasite it carries.

    Salmon poisoning is definitely something to take very seriously.

    WRL

  4. #4
    Senior Member labsforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Molalla OR
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Fortunately we have not had the problem but are vigilant as we live with the Molalla river behind us and salmon and trout fish. I have heard that a dog can get it more than once because there are different varieties as well. Good to know not just salmonids can carry it.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

  5. #5
    Senior Member 7pntail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lodi ca
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Very toxic from what I understand. I do a lot of salmon fishing
    with dogs on board the boat. I have a harness on board to keep the labs away from blood, and do wash downs after each fish. I have been lucky so far after many years of fishing. My pup managed to eat a container of cured roe last week on the boat as we were drifting my favorite riffle. Big concern for me--but no sickness. Lots of bright fish pills in the poop. sigh of relief! Try my best to keep them away, but....

    I had four dogs , two girls, and a deck hand (my dad) on board last week and Briar still managed to find trouble. Alternative---leave em at home.

    It is rare, but it is also lethal.


    Good post, thanks. John




    Most of the time the girls out fish me!
    Last edited by 7pntail; 10-16-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca


    There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

    Aldo Leopold

  6. #6
    Senior Member chesaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    297

    Default

    I haven't heard of this in Alaska where we feed our dogs salmon as a good source of protein. I have a garbage bag full of fish in the freezer. Someone recently told me about salmon poisoning and I could hardly believe such a thing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Howard N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    7,687

    Default

    Mary, our salmon don't have it.

    Thank God.
    Howard Niemi

    You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

    get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

  8. #8
    Senior Member Jennifer Henion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    It's my understanding that if the fish are frozen, the flukes have been killed. And I know for a fact that if the fish has been cooked thoroughly, the flukes have been killed.

    John - it's actually not rare - at least not here in Del Norte County and up in Oregon in Curry County. Our vets see it on a very regular basis. Might be rare in other parts, however.

    Oh by the way, NICE FREAKIN FISH!

  9. #9
    Senior Member 8mmag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Clarkston, Michigan
    Posts
    337

    Default

    When we lived in Vancouver, WA we had a dog get salmon poisoning, he almost died. First question the vet asked when he saw him was has he eaten any dead fish (spawning season for the salmon was over a month or so ago and the stream behind the house had rotting carcasses in it). A couple tests, a couple shots at the vet and a bottle of pills later he saved our dog. He was up and going again in 18 hours and back to normal in 24-36 hours.

    I think he told us the flukes aren't in the meat, but rather in the guts of the fish and it wasn't harmful for the dog to eat salmon meat, but NO guts. Am I remembering this correctly? This is certainly not to condone letting dogs drag fish carcasses out of the rivers & streams and let them eat the meat, just looking for clarification.
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

    R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    872

    Default

    Well perhaps I learned something today...Is this an issue EVERY where in the US. Because about 2 weeks ago, my 6yo CLM brought me a half rotted dead carp out of the swamp....(eewwww!) but while it was really stinky, I did not know what it was until he got it back to shore...He seems fine and no ill effects at this point but I did not know it was that dangerous.....He has caught little carp before too...I will definitly watch him more closely!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •