The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Water problem

Default Water problem

I have stumbled upon a water problem. I have a 9 month old lab that loves the water but not far out. I can throw marks out to 20 yards in the pond and she does fine but throw them any longer she goes about 5 to 10 yards out and turns around. And when I scold her she just cowers down to me and just shuts down. I've tried doing "fun bumpers" with her and it still not working. I think I started the problem by throwing my own marks so I got a buddy to throw them and we have been doing that for about a month now and nothing has changed. Also we don't let her come back without having a bumper in her mouth. Think it will change with age? Any suggestions would be a big help.

Have you tried birds? Sometimes a flapping pigeon or a dead duck in the water will draw them out.

But first introduce to birds on land and get him as birdy as possible.

I wouldn't do any scolding around the water.

I would also try running water, shallow enough so that the dog can run in the water. Another technique would be to throw a duck at say thirty yds and as soon as dog enters water throw another at about 20 yds.

Another is to try to get your dog to follow a more experienced dog.

Hope this helps. I wouldn't give up, sounds like a confidence issue.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Have you done a force fetch program with your pup.?

......when I scold her she just cowers down to me and just shuts down. I've tried doing "fun bumpers" with her and it is still not working. I think I started the problem by throwing my own marks so I got a buddy to throw them and we have been doing that for about a month now and nothing has changed. Also we don't let her come back without having a bumper in her mouth...........Any suggestions would be a big help.
    The established expectation is "water isn't much fun". Another "issue" (don't know where you are located) may be water is coolng off which will add to the problem. You can't force a dog to "like" water if things have been going badly (see bold comments).

Try using real ducks (birds) on land and transition to very short throws in water. If this "wakes up" her instincts and you let up on your pressure and personal goals, she might just forget the things you subjected her to (then again maybe not).

For sure you must get back in a "fun groove}.......and soon!
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Have you tried getting in the water with her? Idk where you're located but if water temps are warm enough,Get in the water and play fetch. Bumpers, birds, frisbees who cares what you use. It's gotta be fun. Seems like water has become a drag to your pup when it should be the best thing on earth. Quit scolding and start teaching.
    "A dog has nothing, yet is seldom dissatisfied."

Name:
    Chris Krause

I would follow a step by step retriever training program.

This problem should have gone away once you have gotten past the swim by sessions.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

You can just do what they call "Rapid Fire", which is to throw another as soon as she gets in and starts to swim. You can also throw another if she starts to loose confidence. Throw as many as you need to get over the hump.