RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Prayers Please!!!

8K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  Jamee Strange 
#1 ·
I woke up this morning just like any other morning. I fed Spook then got in the shower. I finished getting ready for work then put Spook and George outside for the day. About 8:00 a.m. this morning I got a phone call from a number I didn't know. So I answered and the strange voice at the other end of the line asked, "Do you have a black dog?" My heart stopped I replied yes. He said he just got hit by a car. I told him where I lived he said he's at the end of my road laying in the grass. I jumped in my car and sped off like Richard Petty. I hadn't made it very far and I got a call from Rogers Animal Control saying they were taking him to the local vet. I arrived at the vet expecting the worse. To my relief spook was laying on the table breathing hard but somewhat ok. The diagnosis right now is a small brake on the pelvis, but he will be doing x-rays at noon. I left the vet to go home to see how he got out and the gate was open. I don't know if spook jumped and unlatched the gate or if someone opened it. I'll be putting a lock on the gate from now on. I know everyone on here are dog lovers so I ask as you read this to say a short prayer that everything else will checks out ok and that he has a speedy and healthy recovery. Never thought I'd tear up over a K-9, especially one I've only had a year. Boy was I wrong.

Thanks for the support,
Andrew Fairchild

See less See more
#30 ·
I have been there- Dog hit by a car. Broken pelvis. Shattered hip socket. Looking at 4-5K in expenses. Only which would yeld a marginal pet at best as told by the vet.

My wife and I had to make the decision. It wasn't easy. But in the end I didn't want Daisy to suffer, not even for one day. She was bred to retrieve and loved her job. Watching her in pain and just laying there made the decision easier.

My only advise for Spook is this. Do what is right for the dog to make it painless. Forget your emotions, your not one in pain.

#31 · (Edited)
^^^.. Agreed. I've never been accused of being a wordsmith or carefull with my words. But in the long run if you can't do what is best for spook ,do what is right. Its easy to offer advise from a computer to someone you have never met. But its a situation alot have been in. In the end you have to make that call. Prayers

#36 ·
Thanks for the support and prayers. Spooks relaxed and crated at home. He really is a tuff dog and doesn't show signs of pain. He can walk, when i take him outside to use the restroom without too much pain. When I walk into the bathroom he sits up and wags his tail. I know he loves hunting, but he's also a family dog that loves being with people. I'm not a vet and I still have months of praying to do, but if I were a betting man i'd bet spook will make it through it and prolly be able to live atleast the normal life of a pet. Hunting is another question with all the stress he will put on the pelvis. As long as he heels with no pain in the end my prayers have been answered. Like I said he's happy and relaxed at home showing no signs of pain, only signs of boredom from being couped up all day. My training isn't done. I've decided if he can't hunt, i'm going to train him to be the smartest pup in the world.

Thanks to all,
Andrew

#38 ·
Prayers sent your way! I hope everything turns out ok for both you and Spook!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.