The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SUV's and crates

Default SUV's and crates

So since the labmobile got crushed by a massive tree and the mess, hassles, insurance stuff has finally been completed I'm now ready to look for a replacement one. The one simple question I have that will speed up my search is:
    What do you drive that can fit 2 midwest side by sides? I'm just trying to eliminate even looking at anything that minimum will not fit in as many online width specs on SUV's don't really give the true backspace bottom width at the narrow point.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Suburban - take third seat out, fold back seat down, 2 crates side by side in the back and at least one more in front. My sub gets 20 -21 mpg on trips and ride is smooth plus the advantage of rear air conditioning or heat in the back keeps dogs very comfortable
    trog
    trog

I m getting the Prius V its the wagon looking one, but it only holds my one big cage (27 h 23 w 36L) get 44/40. I have a tacoma 4x4 double cab with a 6 foot bed camper shell bed rug when I need to hold more than 1.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Last year I bought a 2002 Cadillac Escalade AWD with power everything. Not only does it have lots of room, very comfortably on those long rides to trials and looks great in the fields but my dogs have not complained once.
    Terry C.

You can't win if you don't play, every dog has his day

Sunny Dee Light MH QAA (Sunny)
    Sunny's Black Gold Texas Tea, Derby Dog (Crude)

A few more specifics may be needed. What got crushed was a 92 ford explorer 4x4. I don't really want anything bigger than that as I'm just not comfi driving anything bigger. On the other side I need to have something that in an emergency I can get all 4 labs in and that includes the fact that Buddy will only travel in a crate while the other 3 are happy using their seat belt harnesses. 4 wheel drive is a must. I need to be able to get to the vet in the case of an emergency and winter weather in the south and my crazy driveway is a factor.
    This will not be a primary vehicle.

Hometown: Rural Ames, IA. College: Maryville, MO

The Escalade and Chevy Tahoe are about the same size as the Explorer, maybe sitting a little higher. The Explorer is a terrible vehicle, I have had two friends die in them. The new version of the Explorer is the Escape, which has a lower center of gravity for more stability.
    One way you could find out if everything will fit is to test drive it over to your house real quick and see what works.
    Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Quote Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
    The Escalade and Chevy Tahoe are about the same size as the Explorer, maybe sitting a little higher. The Explorer is a terrible vehicle, I have had two friends die in them. The new version of the Explorer is the Escape, which has a lower center of gravity for more stability.
    One way you could find out if everything will fit is to test drive it over to your house real quick and see what works.
    First, let me say that I am sorry for the loss of your friends. That being said, based on the size of the tree that hit the Explorer and how well the crates held up after both taking the brunt of the hit in the dog zone I trust that vehicle to be sturdy. Had the tree hit the camry it would have been split in half. But the way I drive or can drive the SE V6 Camry on any road is not the way I would drive any SUV.

Take a SERIOUS look at the Toyota FJ Crusier..

We LOVE ours..

They are NOT carpeted,,,, its easy to keep clean.. Just let mud inside dry. vacuume,, and wipe out residue with damp towels.
    I have decent ,Quality all weather floor mats..
    Carpeted vehicles just suck, if ya use em..

The back end all folds down to give plenty of room..
    2 crates easily.

GREAT OFF ROAD!!!! I mean REALLY impressive..

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 10-19-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Take a SERIOUS look at the Toyota FJ Crusier..

We LOVE ours..

They are NOT carpeted,,,, its easy to keep clean.. Just let mud inside dry. vacuume,, and wipe out residue with damp towels.
    I have decent ,Quality all weather floor mats..
    Carpeted vehicles just suck, if ya use em..

The back end all folds down to give plenty of room..
    2 crates easily.

GREAT OFF ROAD!!!! I mean REALLY impressive..

Gooser
    i'll second this. i dont have an FJ cruiser i have a 4 runner (02 model before they were big and bulky like they are now) but my buddy has one he fits 2 large ruff tuff kennels in his no problem. fold back seat down and have them facing out. could probably fit 2 more if you put them butt to butt facing out the passenger doors. you'd have to check on that though

i'm pretty sure i can fit 2 ruff tuffs in my 4 runner but i'm not positive. i know the intermediates could fit no problem. i like my car but my next one will be the FJ. i have wanted one since they came out
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 10-19-2012 at 12:16 PM.

I have a Nissan Xterra and can fit 3 crates in it - doesn't leave lots of room for much else, but they will fit! I get around 21-22 mpg around town a bit more on the highway and 19-20 towing the dog trailer. 4WD, comfortable seats for those long road trips. I have had it for 5 years and 139,000 miles with no major problems of any kind.
    Andy

"You can't win until you are not afraid to lose."

Luckydux Cheese And Quackers CD MH - Briezy (7/20/99-4/4/14)
    Luckydux Drakehaven Hot Ticket*** - Ticket
    Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks - Lizzie
    Luckydux Quacker Jaxx WC JH - Jaxxy
    Luckydux Graham Quacker WC JH -Graham
    Luckydux Penny In A Parking Lot - Penny