RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

SUV's and crates

11K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  fishdogs 
#1 ·
So since the labmobile got crushed by a massive tree and the mess, hassles, insurance stuff has finally been completed I'm now ready to look for a replacement one. The one simple question I have that will speed up my search is:
What do you drive that can fit 2 midwest side by sides? I'm just trying to eliminate even looking at anything that minimum will not fit in as many online width specs on SUV's don't really give the true backspace bottom width at the narrow point.

#2 ·
Suburban - take third seat out, fold back seat down, 2 crates side by side in the back and at least one more in front. My sub gets 20 -21 mpg on trips and ride is smooth plus the advantage of rear air conditioning or heat in the back keeps dogs very comfortable
trog

G
#3 ·
I m getting the Prius V its the wagon looking one, but it only holds my one big cage (27 h 23 w 36L) get 44/40. I have a tacoma 4x4 double cab with a 6 foot bed camper shell bed rug when I need to hold more than 1.

#4 ·
Last year I bought a 2002 Cadillac Escalade AWD with power everything. Not only does it have lots of room, very comfortably on those long rides to trials and looks great in the fields but my dogs have not complained once.

#5 ·
A few more specifics may be needed. What got crushed was a 92 ford explorer 4x4. I don't really want anything bigger than that as I'm just not comfi driving anything bigger. On the other side I need to have something that in an emergency I can get all 4 labs in and that includes the fact that Buddy will only travel in a crate while the other 3 are happy using their seat belt harnesses. 4 wheel drive is a must. I need to be able to get to the vet in the case of an emergency and winter weather in the south and my crazy driveway is a factor.
This will not be a primary vehicle.

#6 ·
The Escalade and Chevy Tahoe are about the same size as the Explorer, maybe sitting a little higher. The Explorer is a terrible vehicle, I have had two friends die in them. The new version of the Explorer is the Escape, which has a lower center of gravity for more stability.
One way you could find out if everything will fit is to test drive it over to your house real quick and see what works.

#7 ·
The Escalade and Chevy Tahoe are about the same size as the Explorer, maybe sitting a little higher. The Explorer is a terrible vehicle, I have had two friends die in them. The new version of the Explorer is the Escape, which has a lower center of gravity for more stability.
One way you could find out if everything will fit is to test drive it over to your house real quick and see what works.
First, let me say that I am sorry for the loss of your friends. That being said, based on the size of the tree that hit the Explorer and how well the crates held up after both taking the brunt of the hit in the dog zone I trust that vehicle to be sturdy. Had the tree hit the camry it would have been split in half. But the way I drive or can drive the SE V6 Camry on any road is not the way I would drive any SUV.

#8 · (Edited)
Take a SERIOUS look at the Toyota FJ Crusier..

We LOVE ours..

They are NOT carpeted,,,, its easy to keep clean.. Just let mud inside dry. vacuume,, and wipe out residue with damp towels.
I have decent ,Quality all weather floor mats..
Carpeted vehicles just suck, if ya use em..

The back end all folds down to give plenty of room..
2 crates easily.

GREAT OFF ROAD!!!! I mean REALLY impressive..

Gooser

#9 · (Edited)
i'll second this. i dont have an FJ cruiser i have a 4 runner (02 model before they were big and bulky like they are now) but my buddy has one he fits 2 large ruff tuff kennels in his no problem. fold back seat down and have them facing out. could probably fit 2 more if you put them butt to butt facing out the passenger doors. you'd have to check on that though

i'm pretty sure i can fit 2 ruff tuffs in my 4 runner but i'm not positive. i know the intermediates could fit no problem. i like my car but my next one will be the FJ. i have wanted one since they came out

#10 ·
I have a Nissan Xterra and can fit 3 crates in it - doesn't leave lots of room for much else, but they will fit! I get around 21-22 mpg around town a bit more on the highway and 19-20 towing the dog trailer. 4WD, comfortable seats for those long road trips. I have had it for 5 years and 139,000 miles with no major problems of any kind.

#11 · (Edited)
If you say this is not your primary vehicle why an SUV? Much better for just a few dog is an extended cab pickup with a 4 hole topper. Tundra, Ford, Chevy all similar if not the same as SUV versions up front. With a topper all of the dog junk and smells and training gear are separated from the passenger cabin. Way nicer. Plus it's not a good idea to have a dog in one of those seatbelt harnesses in an accident. I just saw a video of crash dog dummies in various seat restraints and it wasn't pretty. Far better to have them in a hole.
edit: Plus you can't leave your dogs in a closed locked SUV but you can lock the doors on their kennel holes, crack or close the vents and run fans if you want. Never need to worry about heat or cold in a topper.

Here's a 4 hole topper on a Ford
http://www.cphsales.com/photoalbum/Toppers/photos/photo26.jpg

on a Chevy
http://www.cphsales.com/photoalbum/Toppers/photos/photo3.jpg

on a GMC
http://www.cphsales.com/photoalbum/Toppers/photos/photo10.jpg

This is what a 4 hole topper looks like from the back. Water Tank, Electric, Drawers
http://www.cphsales.com/photoalbum/Toppers/photos/photo23.jpg

#19 · (Edited)
...Much better for just a few dog is an extended cab pickup with a 4 hole topper. ...
Folks who want trucks should have them. I don't like the bad rear and side visibility. Without a dog box, crawling in a topper is not my preference. I have an old Sequoia with the back seats removed holding 2 intermediate and 2 large crates that can be removed one at a time when I want decoys middle seats, etc. I had a Dodge AWD Caravan that had more space, but not as much clearance and not as durable.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Trunk Transport

The Toyota FJ cruiser would be worth a look if you could see out of it.

#12 ·
I have a mini-van, which I'm not recommending, 'cause it would be nice to have an SUV on some of those roads you encounter at hunt tests. I don't have any SUV recommendations (wish I could buy one myself, but will have to save my pennies for a while).

However, I do have some advice about space: Measure the total width of your crates when they are sitting side-by-side. Add an extra half-inch or inch, because you'll want enough wiggle room that you don't have to wedge them in with a crowbar. Also measure the length and height of the crates and write it all done. Take your notes and a tape measure when you go vehicle shopping.

If you're using the vehicle primarily for transporting dogs and hunt tests, look for one in which the seats can be completely removed, not just folded up. The volume occupied by the folded seats is volume you could use for all the junk you need to haul to a test. All of the seats behind the front row in my van where removed the day I drove it home and stashed upstairs under a dust cover. If I don't beat the van to death on bad roads, the seats will be reinstalled when I sell the vehicle.

When you're doing your vehicle measurements, look for anything jutting out that might interfere with the crates. Look for available (sturdy!) locations to attach tie-downs. (Because all crates in a vehicle must be tied down securely.) Measure the open space when the side doors are open. If you have to put anything bulky in through the side doors, an extra few inches can make a big difference.

Look for a vehicle with lots of air flow vents in the back for the dogs. Tinted windows make a huge difference in how warm the vehicle gets, too.

Kelly

#13 ·
Recently went from Suburban to Ford Expedition. If my Suburban EVER got anywhere NEAR 20 -21 mpg. I may have kept it.
The Expedition is doing us very well. Dog crates, gun box, decoys etc. 4 WD.
Ford Motor Co. handled their own financial business without a hand out from U.S.

#14 ·
Chrysler Town & Country works for us. Good mileage and a comfy ride for dogs and us. Two crates facing the rear and two more facing the sliding doors (one left facing and one right facing) with the captain chairs folded down.

#15 ·
I'm with Breck on the truck. You can just get a cap and put the crates in the back. Some 2X8s or 10s and some plywood and you can add a platform for the crates with storage underneath. Or, you can go with an aluminum and stainless drawer unit for the platform.

A.R.E. makes a cap with "windoors" on the sides that have a screened slider window, and can open like the door in the back. Lock the truck and open the back to keep the dogs cool.

#17 ·
I have a hyundai santa fe and its really roomy but still "mid size " I can fit two intermediate crates side by side in the back with all 4 passengers also. Or 3 crates easily with seats folded. The 3rd crate is a large. The back is wide enough for the large crates side by side but the seats have to be at least part way forward since its about 3 inches short at the top where the seats lean back. The cool thing is the seats lock into about 5 different places and I can leave them up but just click them forward. Anyway... its been a very flexible suv. I live on a mtn and drive off 2x a day get 21 mpg. O trips i average 24-25. I have 149,000 miles so far and counting....

#21 ·
We have a Suburban and we have a XL Wire crate and a L Veri Kennel in the back and a L Veri Kennel in the middle row. This allow use to put stuff in front the crates in the back and behind the crate in the middle. I have also seen people put 2 L wire crates with side doors in the middle. This only leave a little room for stuff in the very back.

#22 · (Edited)
I recently went through this hunt-Scratched all GM products for reasons similar to what someone else already stated. Couldn't find an SUV in my prooce range that had mileage over 20, and almost ended up with an Odyssey Van. Then a friend suggested looking at the Ford Ecoboost engine...

I have a 2013 Explorer w the Ecoboost engine.

1. It is enough power for me, but if you really want "hole shot" or pick-up, then don't get the ecoboost engine. I like the economy, and haven't felt the need for more quick acceleration response. My husband is not a fan-he has a lead foot.

2. Safety features are outstanding. Blind spot detectors, intelligent cruise control, even cross vehicle traffic indicators when backing up. The car is made for someone like me who is not confident driving a larger vehicle.

3. The third row seat will probably never see the light of day-it remains folded, and I have a Weather-Tech mat that fits perfectly over the carpet.

I got the bench seats, to make a more flat cargo area when folded, but there is a small gap between the folded bench seats and the rear cargo section. It is not a major problem, as I can use my old cargo mat to cover it if necessary. There is not enough room between the wheel wells for 2 large crates, but there is room for three crates plus cargo if all the seats are folded, and you're willing to turn a crate sideways. I could also use the roof racks for cargo.

Just got back from a long road trip- had 3 Labs comfortably in the back cargo area (not in crate) the rest of everything was in the second row seating area (folded down). Averaged about 24mpg-overall I'm very happy with it...

----city driving mileage is not as good as I expected - 19-22, depending on how much stopping we are doing...lately it seems like the lights are longer, and the stops are far more frequent...sigh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.