The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steadying Drills

Default Steadying Drills

Can someone give me some drills to work on steadying my dog while training by myself? I don't really have anybody to train with most of the time.

Depending on what foundation you have established, assuming the dog is old enough and he basically knows what you want.

If you are alone, have the dog sit 15-20 yards away from you and throw bumpers toward him. Kind of far away from him at first then closer and over him. Eventually landing right in front of him. Don't let him retrieve, go pick them up yourself. Again this is if you have the ability to stop him from a distance if he goes. He will gladly do as you wish, it's just getting him to understand what that is.

Of course it would be best to have him at your side and a helper throwing.

Good luck with your dog.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I don't know any steadying drills. I do know how to steady a dog to shot and birds. I follow Total Retriever Training by Mike Lardy. His process is as follows:

Put a short lead and choke chain on the dog. Hold the lead taut while he is at heel. Launch the bird or dummy. Hold the dog still and make him sit. Then release and let him drag the lead.

Move to where you can keep the lead on the dog but let it be a little loose or a slight sag. If he moves, make him sit with the lead.

Then progress to where the lead is dangling loose. Maybe stepping on the lead.

By now the dog should be ecollar conditioned. So you can now use the ecollar to improve line manners.

This is a long process and doesn't happen over night. You can look at some of the Rowdy (by Pirate) video clips and see the taut lead process. I think one is titled that and another is titled strechting out.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...28by+Pirate%29

If you are training alone I would suggest Dennis Voigts dvd Training Retrievers Alone. You didn't mention if you were following a training program. If not, I would suggest: Total Retriever Training, 2 ed, by Mike Lardy. It is available through YBS Media as is Dennis' dvd.

If you are strapped for cash Mike Lardy has published his Retriever Journal articles in three volumes at only $25 each. Volume 1 would help you a lot.
    You really didn't provide much information for us to work with to help you. If you have a very young puppy I would suggest Bill Hillman's Training a retriever Puppy.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 10-21-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
    Can someone give me some drills to work on steadying my dog while training by myself? I don't really have anybody to train with most of the time.
    Teach SIT .....Then add distractions...start with little ones , like a hand tossed bumper, then learn how to do "stand alone's" as they are called by some....Finish with live birds being shot....Steve S

a trainer told me to take a tennis ball an get the dog excited and bounce the ball in front of the dog then throw is and send the dog

I refer you to Dennis Voigt's DVD. Loads of info there.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Are you just starting a young pup or are you trying to develope steadiness for the upcoming duck season?
    True steadiness cannot be expected (fairly) unless you train with live birds. Steady with a thrown bumper or dead duck and steady with the real thing are 2 different animals.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Sit means Sit

I know I dont do a very good job of demanding a very high standard for it.
    You can easily work on it everyday in real life situations.

Not a command you repete several times after you give it. Dog complies NOW.. very quick response ... and doesnt move anything... anytime,, any situation,, untill you tell it to do otherwise.. You can practice this everyday,, under several different diversional circumstamces..
    I get reminded all the time I miss opportunities to enforce the sit standard. Each time you do,, the dog learns its not important to you. YOU have to make it very important to you..

I am working on a routine where the dog sits,, then given a cue to just move its head or at maximum its front feet, to either pull to you or push. dog cannot though break sit.. Butt stays planted..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Sit means Sit

I know I dont do a very good job of demanding a very high standard for it.
    You can easily work on it everyday in real life situations.

Not a command you repete several times after you give it. Dog complies NOW.. very quick response ... and doesnt move anything... anytime,, any situation,, untill you tell it to do otherwise.. You can practice this everyday,, under several different diversional circumstamces..
    I get reminded all the time I miss opportunities to enforce the sit standard. Each time you do,, the dog learns its not important to you. YOU have to make it very important to you..

I am working on a routine where the dog sits,, then given a cue to just move its head or at maximum its front feet, to either pull to you or push. dog cannot though break sit.. Butt stays planted..

Gooser
    Gooser- how are you doing that?? I have been trying for the just moving the head thing for a while. Just curious what your command is and your method. Thanks!

Jamee
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

I have seen it taught a couple of different ways. One way was with singles off multiple guns,and have the dog move with you to each gun station . Gradually refining what part of the dog moves . If the butt comes off the ground, " sit" enforced, and no bird is thrown. If the head moves only dog is rewarded.

another way was in a training group session where folks would sit on buckets in a circle, and when the dog moved correctly, bumper was thrown from the guy who the dog moved correctly to, to the center of the circle for the dog to retrieve .

Takes time, and a very good sit before you even start.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"