The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: is it possible?

Default is it possible?

That the set ups at the national could be disected and talked about(without critizing judges) so that rookies like me might learn sumthin? LIKE concepts? how the blind was influenced? you guys get the idea.......naw itll just get blown up>
    Marty Lee
    HRCH Daisey's Rambunctious Rascal "Rambo"
    Co-Owner HRCH Summers Gusty Breeze "Gussie"

That would be nice to see. I watched Flight C a while yesterday afternoon, and it looked like the out-of-order flyer was really scrambling their brains.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Lee View Post
    That the set ups at the national could be disected and talked about(without critizing judges) so that rookies like me might learn sumthin? LIKE concepts? how the blind was influenced? you guys get the idea.......naw itll just get blown up>
    Sure it can be talked about ...Dog training 101 class now in session ....All those that ran should have some interesting comments on how their dogs did a certain test....Can't wait to hear (read ) more...Steve S

so that rookies like me might learn sumthin?
    marty, whether or not you or i could actually learn something will always be in question. i look forward to the discussion you have initiated anyway!
    john mccallie

I would love to read some analysis of the diagrams and factors, what the tests seem to be designed to accomplish, how those with experience would predict dogs would respond on various tests, choices the handler would have to make... and then added to/commented on by those who are there and can see how the dogs are actually running and the choices the handlers are making, and why.

For example--I looked at the diagram of Double Trouble last night and was wondering whether I would pick up the short indent right after the flyer, or whether I would go outside-outside-in, and I wondered how most people were doing it and why--or if they were letting the dog choose, etc. I got a partial answer to it, but would love to see actual discussion.

Please?
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

I was sort of interested at C to see how folks handled the shot flyer, which was the second bird down with the gun station at about 108 yards. I started out saying that I would have to send my dog to pick up that one first, but then I saw several do that and not have a lot of luck with the other two marks. I did see several try to pick it up in the usual last-down-first-picked-up mode, but there seemed to be a fair amount of handling on that first mark, and there was a blind over there too which the flyer suction was undoubtedly pulling them toward, although the blind was a bit further out than both marks it was run between.

Even the right bird, which seemed to be pretty much a flat (or maybe angle-in - my vantage point was to the third base side of the line) throw at 89 yards up a slight hill, seemed to cause problems. This one was going to be running right into the sun when it got later, but I don't think that was an issue while I was there.

Of course, there may have been a whole lot more to the placement of the birds other than distance, and I can't speak to that since I did not walk out there and see where they actually were.

I have two friends with dogs in that flight. I'll try to talk with them and see if I can get any insight on how their handler approached it.
    Last edited by RookieTrainer; 10-22-2012 at 11:05 AM.