The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for new trainer, older labrador

Question Tips for new trainer, older labrador

Hello all! Thanks to all who spend time here helping others!

Pertinent Background
    I have a two year old yellow Labrador. He comes from a great line and is probably smarter than I am.

He currently: sits, lays down, stays (working on removing the word "stay" and we are almost there!), retrieves short distances, 90% on staying still when a bumper is tossed (waits for me to say "back" or "go", or his name), and various other family-type commands (like leave it, drop it, get in the car, etc etc)

Goal

I would like to hunt fowl with him, and would like to participate in AKC Hunt Tests.

What I THINK I Know

From what I can gather, I really need to sharpen his obedience before I do anything else. He comes when called 90% of the time and doesn't heel at all (and as I mentioned before, working on "sit means sit"). Once I get these tightened up, I would like to move on to more hunting specific items.

I have been looking at both Fowl Dawgs and Smartworks as a program.

The Question(s)
    1) Do you think I will have a harder time because his is already two?
    2) Am I right that I should focus on heel, sit means sit, and recall before I move on to anything else?
    3) With a goal of hunting and hunt tests (and knowing my background), which program would you recommend and why?
    4) Will I be able to do this on my own, or should I be sending him off to a pro?
    5) How do "clubs" work? Can I just join one and get help from others? And would you recommend joining one?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I tried to make them as clear and to the point as I could. I just feel a little overwhelmed with what direction to go from here.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't comment on FD since I have never used it but have used SW and like it, I believe a plus would be the fact that Evan posts on RTF. You have the right idea with OB and if you go with a pro afterwards it will save some time and $$.
    Good luck on your journey.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Welcome to the RTF FattChris!
    Great lookin' Dawg ya got.
    Yes you can do this on your own.
    Yes you can do this with a 2 year old.
    Yes OB (sit, here, heel) is good but a great many go quite far without nailing that down, for real!

How do clubs work?
    Well ya got a group of goofy so-and-so's just like you. They like dogs more than relatives. They will stand in a cold drizzly and toss a very very dead duck, for your dog to retrieve. Asking only that you in turn do the same for them.
    Now be warned all clubs, every single one, 75% of all the work is done by 10% of the members. And those members are always looking for fresh meat (thats you). Have fun, be as helpfull as you are able, don't try to do everything (they will make scamper jokes about you) and take everything you hear with a grain of salt.
    Best part about a club is the membership list. You can pick up the phone on a thursday eve and plan a weekend of training and get live birds and training grounds and people to toss.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Thanks, guys! Is there a forum on here somewhere that acts as a groups directory? I would like to find one near me, but am having trouble locating anything within a reasonable drive.

tell us were your at, we ARE the group directory.
    we are the group of guys and gals standing at the tailgate of the pick up truck after a test.
    ask us anything.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Sweet!

I am located in Heber City, Utah. Closest notable town is Park City, Utah (ski resort town), then Salt Lake City. SLC is about an hour, though.

Quote Originally Posted by fattchris View Post
    I am located in Utah.
    Your screwed!

just kidding, 30 second search gives this club
    http://www.utahretrievers.com/faq.html

says they have members in Herber Valley
    is Herber city in Herber Valley?

and this club as well

http://www.gslrc.us/Home.html

Thanks! I had been googling, and even ran across these guys. Missed the part where they said Heber Valley somehow (yeah, Heber City is in Heber Valley).

I am ashamed I am a full time web programmer - I should have caught this the first time

Thanks again!

I personally kinda like Chris Akins program Duck Dog Basics. Simple basic pretty decent start to a dog. Everybody is gonna give you there theory on programs. All our good in their own way but find what makes you feel most comfortable and confident
    Bay's Smokin' Aces Royal Flush "Ace"