The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for new trainer, older labrador

So, if I go with Smartworks, which DVD should I start with? The "flow chart" on Evan's site is not very clear. (Or I am not very bright )

Quote Originally Posted by fattchris View Post
    So, if I go with Smartworks, which DVD should I start with? The "flow chart" on Evan's site is not very clear. (Or I am not very bright )
    I would recomend you to go ahead and get Evan's Basic package. comes with dvds and a written book. also when you get started read several chapters ahead it will clear up some questions you will have. when you finish this Basic program you will have a hunt dog better than most average guys in the field AND your dog will have the tools to go on into advanced training. good luck with your dog!
    Marty Lee
    HRCH Daisey's Rambunctious Rascal "Rambo"
    Co-Owner HRCH Summers Gusty Breeze "Gussie"

thanks! Once I get it, which DVD should I start with - or do they run in conjunction? (Or is there material that will tell me all of this once I get it?)

thanks! Once I get it, which DVD should I start with - or do they run in conjunction? (Or is there material that will tell me all of this once I get it?)
    you will want to start with Obediance DVD. but thye package is laid out step by step.....like i said read ahead several chapters and kinda get the idea of where you are going and what you are trying to accomplish.
    Marty Lee
    HRCH Daisey's Rambunctious Rascal "Rambo"
    Co-Owner HRCH Summers Gusty Breeze "Gussie"

thanks! I will buy them today and post my progress!
    "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

Sweet!

I am located in Heber City, Utah. Closest notable town is Park City, Utah (ski resort town), then Salt Lake City. SLC is about an hour, though.
    You aren't far from a couple of great clubs. Lee Kay is where most of the training days are held. An hour is not too far to go to train with good, friendly folks. Steve Shaver also posts to RTF and I'm sure would be a good resource. Again, the Utah folks are wonderful and are comprised of some folks with very talented dogs and the knowledge to see which direction you should take with your dog. If you get bitten by the bug-instead of thinking an hour is too far to go, you'll be on the road to ID, MT, etc. On that note-the Billings folks are special and a weekend training with them is worth the drive.

Good luck!!

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Wade View Post
    You aren't far from a couple of great clubs. Lee Kay is where most of the training days are held. An hour is not too far to go to train with good, friendly folks. Steve Shaver also posts to RTF and I'm sure would be a good resource. Again, the Utah folks are wonderful and are comprised of some folks with very talented dogs and the knowledge to see which direction you should take with your dog. If you get bitten by the bug-instead of thinking an hour is too far to go, you'll be on the road to ID, MT, etc. On that note-the Billings folks are special and a weekend training with them is worth the drive.

Good luck!!

M
    Thanks! And good points
    "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

JMHO, but if this dog is age 2 and you still don't have his OB solid, 'maybe' you should have some basics done by a pro if the budget allows for it. It seems like it would give you and dog a jump start if you really do want to pursue this. And I don't mean to be negative - just realistic

I don't read it as the Dawg in question can't do anything. Just that the owner wants to know what to do. Just cause a dog is 2 don't mean it has been in constant training all that time. Once upon a time some folk never even started actual training until a dog was 2, so I hear. And dogs don't know how old they are, only what cubbord the biskits are in.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin