The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Therapy advice for post posterior & anterior surgical operation?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Victoria, British Coliumbia
    Posts
    385

    Default Therapy advice for post posterior & anterior surgical operation?

    Nearly 20 weeks ago a young 15-16 month old BLF was doing a straight line drill over a plank when it miss judged the distance and srtuck it's knee against the plank and tore it posterior and anterior ligaments. The dog was operatted on for the knee injury. After 18 weeks of being restricted initially to the crate then graduating to a comfortable room in the owners workshop followed by daily limited distance walks on a lead the young dog is still favouring the leg. Tearing around the mowed short cover farm yard for a single thrown bumper. The young dog gets only one bumper then it goes back on lead for controlled walks. Most other times young female is showing she is favouring the rear leg by moving about on three legs.

    When the owner took the dog in on the 4th of October the Veterinarian said to give it a month before returning for assessment of the dogs progress.

    The owner is a medical doctor and is thinking that his hoped for field trial dog may become a companion dog on his hobby farm.

    Is there any advice I can pass on as far as therapy to improve the prospect of the dog running as a trial dog?
    Last edited by Ironwood; 10-22-2012 at 10:41 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tuttle, OK
    Posts
    1,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    Nearly 20 weeks ago a young 15-16 month old BLF was doing a straight line drill over a plank when it miss judged the distance and srtuck it's knee against the plank and tore it posterior and anterior ligaments. The dog was operatted on for the knee injury. After 18 weeks of being restricted initially to the crate then graduating to a comfortable room in the owners workshop followed by daily limited distance walks on a lead the young dog is still favouring the leg. Terroring around the mowed short cover farm yard for a single thrown bumper. The young dog gets only one bumper then it goes back on lead for controlled walks. Most other times young female is showing she is favouring the rear leg by moving about on three legs.

    When the owner took the dog in on the 4th of October the Veterinarian said to give it a month before returning for assessment of the dogs progress.

    The owner is a medical doctor and is thinking that his hoped for field trial dog may become a companion dog on his hobby farm.

    Is there any advice I can pass on as far as therapy to improve the prospect of the dog running as a trial dog?
    If the owner is a MD I am surprised he has not done some sort of formal rehab on the dog or put the dog with a facility for rehab especially if she is a field trial prospect. "terroring around a mowed yard even for a single fun bumper" may not be an adequate rehab program. Would certainly be worth a call to VOSM for rehab advice. http://www.vetsportsmedicine.com/reh...ces/index.html\
    http://www.vetsportsmedicine.com/index.html
    Last edited by frontier; 10-21-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

    In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

  3. #3

    Default

    i dont post on this site very much but this is a area i may be able to help you. The best rehab for the dog is swiming. There is less presure put on the joints an the dogs get excirse and birds.It is cheaper than paying for a under warter threadmill. Here in the PNW it can cost up to 60.00 Per hr. I have rehabed lots of them for my clients in the past and found long blinds with birds to keep attitude up works. I use a hunting vest on Max who belongs to Mark Medford last year and he is running with the best of them now. I am thinking about getting a tank of my own to have here as the winters make it hard to get them in h2o for enough time. PM me with your # and lets talk. Tellus
    Last edited by Thumbs Up; 10-22-2012 at 12:55 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member JusticeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Illinois/Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    If the owner is a MD I am surprised he has not done some sort of formal rehab on the dog or put the dog with a facility for rehab especially if she is a field trial prospect. "terroring around a mowed yard even for a single fun bumper" may not be an adequate rehab program. Would certainly be worth a call to VOSM for rehab advice. http://www.vetsportsmedicine.com/reh...ces/index.html\
    http://www.vetsportsmedicine.com/index.html
    Definitely not adequate. need to find a rehab doctor. The dog needs to get her leg underneath her. Tellus is correct in that swimming is a great tool, and if he can help you out, that would be great. She obviously had a more extensive injury since she lost both the cranial cruciate ligament and the caudal cruciate ligament, she is still far behind. She should be doing leash walks for at least 40 minutes per day, figure 8s, sit-to-stands against a wall, balance exercises on a balance board or bosu ball, etc. There are many TPLO protocols on line, if that is the procedure she had. Or, if you need one, I can email it to you.
    Susan

    FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member EdA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Definitely not adequate. need to find a rehab doctor. The dog needs to get her leg underneath her. Tellus is correct in that swimming is a great tool, and if he can help you out, that would be great. She obviously had a more extensive injury since she lost both the cranial cruciate ligament and the caudal cruciate ligament, she is still far behind. She should be doing leash walks for at least 40 minutes per day, figure 8s, sit-to-stands against a wall, balance exercises on a balance board or bosu ball, etc. There are many TPLO protocols on line, if that is the procedure she had. Or, if you need one, I can email it to you.
    I must respectfully disagree about swimming, dogs can and do guard the surgically repaired limb by swimming with three legs only. Once full weight bearing is achieved swimming is good exercise to build back muscle mass but prior to full weight bearing it is of much less benefit than leash walking or the underwater treadmill.

    To find a veterinarian who is a Diplomate in the newly recognized American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation visit the ACVSMR website
    http://vsmr.org/diplomates.lasso

  6. #6
    Senior Member JusticeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Illinois/Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I must respectfully disagree about swimming, dogs can and do guard the surgically repaired limb by swimming with three legs only. Once full weight bearing is achieved swimming is good exercise to build back muscle mass but prior to full weight bearing it is of much less benefit than leash walking or the underwater treadmill.

    To find a veterinarian who is a Diplomate in the newly recognized American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation visit the ACVSMR website
    http://vsmr.org/diplomates.lasso
    Some people use underwater treadmill, but what has popped up in this area is small pools for rehab in addition to, or in place of, the underwater treadmill. I have seen dogs on 3 legs in the treadmill, also. They put a floatie on them or a small light weight, just like in the pool. So, you're right in the fact that it should be done under the guidance of someone who knows what they are doing and can make sure that all limbs are moving effectively. What is nice about the rehab pools or the treadmills are that the water is clear enough you can see what is going on. The people that I work with, the techs actually are in the tank, and/or pool with the dog.
    Susan

    FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member Sabireley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Culpeper VA
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    I used a cone cavaletti for post TPLO rehab as well as swimming and a dry treadmill. The dog did favor the bad leg when swimming early on in the rehab.

    http://dogkneeinjury.com/cavaletti-exercises-video/

  8. #8
    Senior Member jenbrowndvm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    127

    Default

    There are a lot of details I am sure we are missing in regards to the injury, surgery, and rehab. I definitely agree with most of the posts in that in order to optimize the dogs recovery that you want to consult with a veterinarian that specializes in rehabilitation in athletic dogs. You can find certified rehab therapists by state and country at www.caninerehabinstitute.com and www.utcaninerehab.com. There are a couple of good rehab people in the PNW. Not all rehab therapists will have a lot of experience with FT dogs and the expectations, so you may want to query them about their experience with FT/hunting dogs and the specific injury your dog has.
    Jennifer Brown DVM, DACVS, DACVSMR, CCRT
    K-9 SportsVet

    HRCH Maranatha's She's Got Phanesse MH, SAR U-1
    Maranatha's Black Talon Phallon JH, SAR U-1

    www.lpkennels.com
    www.k9sportsvet.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •