The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Some outstanding judging...

Default Some outstanding judging...

It seems that we tend to talk about the negative aspects of judging and test setups more than we do the positive side of things. Well I wanted to tell everyone about the awesome experience I had this weekend. After an extrememly crushing test on Saturday (1 dog walked away with a ribbon) the handlers were pretty much licking their wounds on Sunday and the look of doom gloomed on everyone's faces. We watched the test setup on Sunday morning. The judges actually stood at the line, knelt down at the dog's view and had the BBs throw the test. One of the marks was impossible to see so the judge's moved it. It was a straight forward triple with a incorporated blind. The distances varied, but the terrain and wind caused a couple of dogs to go out. For the quartering and sit to flush, the judges had a nice field with good cover to hunt, when the dog "flushed" the bird, the majority of them flew nice and high and the judges allowed you to get the bird as if you were hunting (i.e. keep quartering if need be, send the dog, kick the thick brush to re-flush the bird...) We lost a dog for breaking. Then it was on to the water marks and blind. While they were setting it up, they were talking to the handlers explaining why they choose the marks they choose and what they were looking for. They had a really tight incorporated water blind and they began to discuss it amoung themselves how they would judge it if a dog had a big hunt on the go-to bird and stumbled across the location for the blind (it was not hot) and decided it was way too tight to keep the judging clean. They moved it just enough that there was a clear line for the blind, the opportunity for suction to the old fall but an opportunity for the handler to react to the dog's behavior. I was floored by the judging. The only dog's we lost were dog's that couldn't complete the test, had a true dog day and dog's that were pulled by there handlers. It was awesome. These judge's were very enjoyable to run under. No tricks. Straight forward tests with clear objectives. When the judges are like the ones we had Sunday it makes all the difference in the world. By no means were the tests easy either, the pucker factor was really high on the marks. For some reason the middle birds on both sets of triples was the most diificult for the dogs and handlers even though if you looked at the test you wouldn't of thought otherwise!

FOM - had fun this weekend!

I was just having fun with rtf search, looking for threads about great judging. Not many to chose from. We are quicker to rev up the bus than we are to hand out the praise. Found this 7 year old thread by Lainee that nobody responded to. Like her, seven years ago, earlier this month ran a NAHRA test with some wonderful judges. Wanted to take a moment to say thank you. Thank you every judge. You give a weekend of your summer and open yourself up for public criticism just so I can play my game of choice. I appreciate that.
    Lainee do you remember the test and club?

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken,

Based on my records it was an HRC Finished test (Flash's first pass at that level). I want to say it was the Southern Colorado HRC held down Lathrop State Park, but it's been really long ago.

Here's a picture of us with our ribbon:

Edit: Actually after looking at the picture it had to be at Pueblo State Wildlife Park, I also did Upland that weekend too and failed! I remember I forgot to change out my orange hat for my cammo and I took a razzing for it! I had a hat on my head, I never thought twice about it!

2nd Edit: The more I think about I can recall one of the judge's face but not name...ugh! Now you will have me wondering what his name is all day.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane....

FOM
    Last edited by FOM; 05-28-2010 at 10:44 AM.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:

MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I would love to compliment the judges in a Senior test where we wiped out big time on the first marks. The judge took a couple of minutes to tell me I had a great little dog, she explained how I might have helped her when we got in trouble. She was great! Took the sting out of losing early. Then she asked for my dog to run as test dog in the water blind and marks. (Where she did fab.) More judges like that would really encourage newbies to stay in the game.

I posted some pictures last week of the started judges and my 2 boys from Bayou. They were absolutely fantastic with them. Also had a young man that ran a few dogs that had Down's Syndrome in the same weekend and they were great with him also. Both were encouraging to all the young participants, smiling in the pouring rain, and most of all, approachable by everyone in the area. I personally didn't run a dog under either of them but my 2 will never forget them.
    Richard Gravely

HRCH "Hammer" MH***
    Nick of Time Ride Da Lightning (future GRHRCH/MH)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Ken,

Thanks for the walk down memory lane....

FOM
    you are very welcome, that old snapshot would be a fun avatar swap, for a bit
    most all of us here on RTF run under judgement, very few here do not.
    the summer of testing is upon us.
    THANK YOUR JUDGES !

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin