The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a good whole smoked duck marinade/rub recipe?

Default Anyone have a good whole smoked duck marinade/rub recipe?

I have tried smoking ducks a few times, but have never been real happy with the results. Gonna give it another try.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

No matter what you do it is still a duck.....Best recipe I have seen is grinding the duck up mixing it with pork and then put it into sticks, with some spices. Sorry cant help you with the smoking.

Duck is a Duck Regards,

Aaron
    AFC Iron Lines Sergeant Pepper "Pepper"
    FC FTCH Westwood's Sunday Silence "Buck"
    Sweet Swingin' Fred MH ***

www.southforkkennelsllc.com

Quote Originally Posted by 7pntail View Post
    I have tried smoking ducks a few times.......

you silly californin's

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

They are to hard to light.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ht=recipe+book

John, have you done the duck on a stick yet? I'd suggest leaving the smoker for other stuff. Slice it up, make up this simple marinade, and grill them quickly.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/dow...pesJan2006.doc

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

If you want the smoke flavor, cold smoke first them cook as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    If you want the smoke flavor, cold smoke first them cook as you like.
    Or do the duck on a stick recipe and add a little liquid smoke to the recipe.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Have you ever considered preparing it Peking duck style...served with mandarin pancakes,green onions and hoisun(plum) sauce....the key is to soak the duck in a salt brine before hand
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I smoke whole ducks on my electric smoker quite often. Teal are the best. I inject the ducks with a butter/garlic/hotsauce/jalapeno/seasoning (or you could buy some cajun injector) 24 hours prior to smoking. I often stuff the cavity with green onion sausage. I have a pan that sits over the heat and I fill it with water, beer, and orange juice, I cut up a couple of apples and an onion or two as well and throw that in the pan too. I use lots of pecan or hickory. Smoke them for 4-5 hours depending on the size of the bird.

Ci-Bon!!!

We have had good success using a simple simple brine of equal parts of brown sugar and salt added to water until the water will float a raw egg. We then soak the plucked (not skinned) duck overnight. Then smoke at 180 to 200 degrees - a good indicator the duck is done is when the moisture in the body cavity evaporates. We then slice and serve with lemon wedges, crackers and cheese. We do the same with pheasants but we place the pheasant in a cloth ham net bag that has been soaked in olive oil to keep the skinned bird moist. Lot of work but worth it.