The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching a pup to Hold ......

Updated:
    So I tried to take some of your comments and use them. I got her to take a cut broom handle and started with that. When I could get the handle in her mouth I would simply keep my hand under her bottom jaw. We worked on this everyday. Until she would take it herself and hold it with the command. Then I moved to a small bumper. We are at that point now. The other night she held it a little over a minute then when she got antzy I commanded give and took from her. She doesnt fight me with this anymore. No ear pinch or shock collar. I do pet her head and gently talk to her and when she does well I praise her. I have just found with her that (because she has been the most loving dog I have been around) that when I praise her and love her she will perform to task at hand. We have been doing this for a little over two weeks. I still have to force the bumper in her mouth just a little but when she will take it like she does the broom handle we will have improved a whole lot. Thanks for your help.

That's a golden retriever?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

She looks just like my fox red lab, right down to the white blaze on her chest. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    That's a golden retriever?
    Yes it is(for the most part) !! Father full blooded long hair normal looking golden. Mother is half-golden and half-chessie. She is short haired and looks very similar to mine. I have seen pics of some of the other pups that were in this litter and they have long hair. Although she isnt full-blooded she is golden. Def not a lab. Its funny when I take her out, half of the people think she is golden and half this she is a lab.
    Last edited by 8ptDuck; 11-12-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Good looking girl nontheless

Good job 8 pt!!! As long as you have a workable plan for your goal and you know what your dog responds to best, you can achieve a lot!!