The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tick borne diseases and spot-on preventatives / long

I have found out the Bayer Advanix collar will be out around the first of the year. I had to ask the folks that went to the handlers meeting at the Grand to see if they remembered when it would be out, still can't find out the name.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

If this has been discussed, I apologize.

Would our dogs have better protection if we applied half the monthly amount and did it every 15 days? I find that when I apply a full month's worth of Frontline Plus, it runs down their sides and appears to be more than what can be absorbed.

We used a trainer (in the past) who applied Frontline monthly and used a flea/tick collar. When he trained, he removed the flea/tick collar. The flea/tick collar went back on the dog when it was done training. Double whammy for fleas/ticks. Overkill? I wonder if there is too much chemical on the dogs--nothing scientific, just a thought.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Hey Barb,

Funny you bring this up. I used frontline for years, switched to Advantix about two years ago.

Haven't seen ticks on the dogs. Coal was to right this fall....blood work was great. He's 9. Full tick panel came back positive for RMSF. He's been on Doxy for a while and is quite improved. Another panel in 4 months. Looks like I need the vet to call on the schedule and/or reevaluate my hole regime. My dogs are in water all the time too.

On another thread, related, what are you guys doing for breeding bitches? I'm worried about Ticks. Revolution is safe for breeding, pregnant, lactating and puppies...but it doesn't get ticks....

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    Hey Barb,

Funny you bring this up. I used frontline for years, switched to Advantix about two years ago.

Haven't seen ticks on the dogs. Coal was to right this fall....blood work was great. He's 9. Full tick panel came back positive for RMSF. He's been on Doxy for a while and is quite improved. Another panel in 4 months. Looks like I need the vet to call on the schedule and/or reevaluate my hole regime. My dogs are in water all the time too.

On another thread, related, what are you guys doing for breeding bitches? I'm worried about Ticks. Revolution is safe for breeding, pregnant, lactating and puppies...but it doesn't get ticks....

Sue Puff
    Frontline has a new product out with the combined product amitraz for ticks... It's called Certifect and can be used on breeding, pregnant and nursing dogs and pups 8 weeks of age and older (5 lb minimum)
    http://www.certifect.com/Pages/whatIsCertifect.aspx
    Last edited by frontier; 12-14-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    Frontline has a new product out with the combined product amitraz for ticks... It's called Certifect and can be used on breeding, pregnant and nursing dogs and pups 8 weeks of age and older (5 lb minimum)
    http://www.certifect.com/Pages/whatIsCertifect.aspx
    Remember Promeris? Amitraz is very effective against ticks, there were issues with that product including a very offensive odor and the development of an immune mediated skin disease. The other ingredients were different but I would not be among the first to apply any new product to my dogs. This may ultimately prove to be a great product but I suggest doing some reading about Amitraz. The Preventic Collar has amitraz as it's active ingredient, I have used them and dispensed them for years without being aware of any side effects and the Preventic Collar is very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    If this has been discussed, I apologize.

Would our dogs have better protection if we applied half the monthly amount and did it every 15 days? I find that when I apply a full month's worth of Frontline Plus, it runs down their sides and appears to be more than what can be absorbed.

We used a trainer (in the past) who applied Frontline monthly and used a flea/tick collar. When he trained, he removed the flea/tick collar. The flea/tick collar went back on the dog when it was done training. Double whammy for fleas/ticks. Overkill? I wonder if there is too much chemical on the dogs--nothing scientific, just a thought.
    Yes what about the chemicals on the dog???

I have been using Hartz Ultra Guard which has Tetrachlorvinphos and Methoprene. This stuff you buy in the pet store. So far it has been good. I reapply after in water. Does anybody use this or is it any good?

I don't think we have the ticks that you are talking about. In certain areas there are pockets and I suspect increasing. Usually I try to avoid those places.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Ed,

What do you then recommend to your clients that have working dogs and intact bitches that are/will being bred? There is so much out there it is overwhelming. I used to use Ivomec and Panucur, when to Interceptor, now I'm back to Heartguard and Panacur with Advantix II and a dog with RMSF. Can the collars be worm in the water?

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    Ed,

What do you then recommend to your clients that have working dogs and intact bitches that are/will being bred? There is so much out there it is overwhelming. I used to use Ivomec and Panucur, when to Interceptor, now I'm back to Heartguard and Panacur with Advantix II and a dog with RMSF. Can the collars be worm in the water?

Sue Puff
    They need not be taken off but getting wet might diminish efficacy so I slip them over their head when I put Mr. Tritronics on and hang them on the crate handle until training is done for the day.

We expect to get Sentinel back soon, not sure about Interceptor. Since the active ingredient milbemycin is now off patent there is less economic insentive for Novartis to get it back in production until Sentinel supplies are adequate. The addition of Program (lufenuron) to milbemycin (Sentinel) makes it a dependable safe product for heartworm prevention and control of hookworms, roundworms, whipworms, and fleas. I believe that Preventic collars provide the safest and most effective method to control ticks.

The new Merial product may ultimately prove to be the best product around but I have a policy learned from years of experience to be neither the first nor the last to use new products hence my cautionary advice regarding a new product containing a highly effective parasiticide but one with potential side effects in a new delivery system.

The research done by GRCA's health foundation indicates that dogs who are routinely protected from parasites with spot-on products are LESS likely to develop cancer than dogs who are not.
    The hypothesis is that chronic inflammation from low level tick borne diseases may contribute to cancers.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

What do people feel is the best panel to run? NC State is running a new panel for 12 TBD. Thinking of maybe doing this one. My vet wants almost 300 bucks to test for the common 4!

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/csds/ticklab.html
    Nicole

Trained by:
    AKC CH pointed USJ HR U-GRCH Fish Dog's Playing in the Kona Surf MH CGC "Kona"
    WindyCanyon's Don't Stop Believin JH " Journey"- Heathen in training
    Folly Hill's Crazy Train @ Triple Threat " Ozzy"
    www.triplethreatretrievers.com