The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U.N. Poll Inspectors

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    You might find a bunch of new immigrants to Texas that would agree with you, but speaking as a native born (3rd generation at least) Texan, I like the AG's position (and believe that most of the actual Texans I know would agree with me). I certainly don't want a bunch of outside agitators coming to Texas and attempting to muck things up. If they are coming to see how things should be done, OK, but if they are coming to "monitor" how we do things, they can mind their own damned business. If we can't keep the US out of the UN, then at least maybe we can keep the UN out of Texas. (Sorry for you if you think that makes me sound like a hick).

where the heck is that LIKE button...big time LIKE
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    They been observing for 10 years and no problems with "agitating" so far. What leads you to believe that they will be here this time to agitate?
    You highlighted the wrong part of my post, you should have highlighted this: If they are coming to see how things should be done, OK, but if they are coming to "monitor" how we do things, they can mind their own damned business.

The implication here is that they are coming because they expect to find problems or because their presence is somehow needed in certain states to ensure the integrity of the election. Texas doesn't like that implication.

Here's what the AG wrote, and it was in response to a special request sent to the OSCE by the ACLU (not a group known for its neutrality):

In a letter to Everts, Texas Attorney General Abbott noted the OSCE identified voter ID laws as a barrier to the right to vote and is being urged by voter ID opponents "to monitor states that have taken steps to protect ballot integrity by enacting voter ID laws."

"The OSCE may be entitled to its opinions about voter ID laws, but your opinion is legally irrelevant in the United States, where the Supreme Court has already determined that voter ID laws are constitutional," Abbott wrote. "Groups and individuals from outside the United States are not allowed to influence or interfere with the election process in Texas."
    Last edited by HPL; 10-26-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    You highlighted the wrong part of my post, you should have highlighted this: If they are coming to see how things should be done, OK, but if they are coming to "monitor" how we do things, they can mind their own damned business.

Here's what the AG wrote, and it was in response to a special request sent to the OSCE by the ACLU (not a group known for its neutrality):

In a letter to Everts, Texas Attorney General Abbott noted the OSCE identified voter ID laws as a barrier to the right to vote and is being urged by voter ID opponents "to monitor states that have taken steps to protect ballot integrity by enacting voter ID laws."

"The OSCE may be entitled to its opinions about voter ID laws, but your opinion is legally irrelevant in the United States, where the Supreme Court has already determined that voter ID laws are constitutional," Abbott wrote. "Groups and individuals from outside the United States are not allowed to influence or interfere with the election process in Texas."
    I am 100% for Voter ID's and have said so several times here on Potus. We also have laws that state how close observers can get to any polling place. Nowhere have I read that they want to usurp those laws. We have had voted ID laws on the books for years in La. and have had UN observeres here is the past with no problems.

It appears that your AG and Gov are just Grandstanding, something your Gov loves to do. If there is a report that says they want to interfer, post it up. If not, it is just a waste of time.
    Last edited by Franco; 10-26-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

I am 100% for Voter ID's and have said so several times here on Potus. We also have laws that state how close observers can get to any polling place. Nowhere have I read that they want to usurp those laws. We have had voted ID laws on the books for years in La. and have had UN observeres here is the past with no problems.

It appears that your AG and Gov are just Grandstanding,
    something your Gov loves to do. If there is a report that says they want to interfer, post it up. If not, it is just a waste of time.
    Maybe they are, maybe they are not.....but isnt that for the State of Texas to decide....they are looking out for the residents of the State, its what they are supposed to do

Franco as much as you hate the US meddling in other countries business, I am kinda surprised that you arent outraged at the UN meddling in our politics/election....if they want to observe tell them to watch CNN/Fox or any other media outlet

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Maybe they are, maybe they are not.....but isnt that for the State of Texas to decide....they are looking out for the residents of the State, its what they are supposed to do

Franco as much as you hate the US meddling in other countries business, I am kinda surprised that you arent outraged at the UN meddling in our politics/election....if they want to observe tell them to watch CNN/Fox or any other media outlet

Hear!! Hear!!
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

How is observing, meddling?
    No one has yet to post anything saying that thier intent is to agiate, meddle or instigate any disruptive acts!

Again, I say this much to do about nothing.

If anything, there will be more observers in Florida and we haven't heard a peep from their AG or Gov! Maybe because they are a little more level-headed and not out to grandstand?
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

How is observing, meddling?
    No one has yet to post anything saying that thier intent is to agiate, meddle or instigate any disruptive acts!

Again, I say this much to do about nothing.

If anything, there will be more observers in Florida and we haven't heard a peep from their AG or Gov! Maybe because they are a little more level-headed and not out to grandstand?
    they have no legal standing here in the US.....they can observe from whatever country they came from...as for Florida, they can deal with their state as they choose...

Its bad enough that the US is even in the UN, I for one do not want the UN in the US...this is not a One world Order

...as for Florida, they can deal with their state as they choose...

Again, Hear! Hear!!
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLandR View Post
    Exactly! So why did the letter say they were coming to monitor Conservatives for fraud and intimidation? Monitor all, if you have the authority, which they don't.

If they are truly observing the process to learn, great. But it's clearly a cover story based upon the letter sent. Mbps paranoia here, just taking the time to actually read the post.....
    That is from the Daily Caller, an extreme right-winged website speculating as to why we work with other countries to promote Democracy!

Here is the reality...Lawmakers from the group of 56 European and Central Asian nations have been observing U.S. elections since 2002, without incident.

Again, this is much to do about nothing and a means in which the Texas AG and Gov can grandstand!

The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), a United Nations partner on democratization and human rights projects, will deploy 44 observers around the county on Election Day to monitor an array of activities, including potential disputes at polling places. Liberal-leaning civil rights groups met with representatives from the OSCE this week to raise their fears about what they say are systematic efforts to suppress minority voters likely to vote for President Obama. The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, the NAACP and the ACLU, among other groups, warned this month in a letter to Daan Everts, a senior official with OSCE, of “a coordinated political effort to disenfranchise millions of Americans — particularly traditionally disenfranchised groups like minorities.” The request for foreign monitoring of election sites drew a strong rebuke from Catherine Engelbrecht, founder and president of True the Vote, a conservative-leaning group seeking to crack down on election fraud. “These activist groups sought assistance not from American sources, but from the United Nations,” she said in a statement to The Hill. “The United Nations has no jurisdiction over American elections.” The observers, from countries such as Germany, France, Serbia, Belarus, Ukraine and Kazakhstan, will observe voting at polling places and other political activity. “They [will] observe the overall election process, not just the ballot casting,” said Giovanna Maiola, spokeswoman for OSCE. “They are focusing on a number of areas on the state level, including the legal system, election administration, the campaign, the campaign financing [and] new voting technologies used in the different states.” In a follow-up e-mail, Maiola noted that it is a limited election-observation mission. She said “the OSCE has regularly been invited to observe elections in the United States, in line with OSCE commitments.”

“State law does not generally provide for international observers,” Maiola said. “However, through our contacts at state and county level in certain states, we managed to secure invitations at local level and we have taken up the offer to observe. Where this is not possible, we will respect the state regulation on this matter and will not observe in precincts on Election Day.” International observers will follow up on the concerns raised by civil rights groups “We attended their meeting, we took note of the issued they raised and we asked our observers in the field to follow up on them."
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994