The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.N. Poll Inspectors

Default U.N. Poll Inspectors

Of all the countries in the world that the U.N. could/should be monitoring during elections, they think the U.S. is one of the important ones. The AG of TX has an opinion on this:
    Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott wrote the United Nations to tell them, “Groups and individuals from outside the United States are not allowed to influence or interfere with the election process in Texas.”
    GOP-USA reported:
    The Daily Caller reports that Texas is balking at the idea of U.N. involvement. In a letter sent by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, the AG warns that U.N. poll watchers “do not have jurisdiction in the state and will, therefore, be criminally prosecuted if they attempt to interfere at Texas polling locations on Nov. 6.”
    The letter, addressed to Ambassador Daan Everts, came in response to the announcement that the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe will deploy scores of election monitors to the U.S. in an effort to monitor conservative groups for voter suppression or intimidation.

“Groups and individuals from outside the United States are not allowed to influence or interfere with the election process in Texas,” wrote Abbot. “This State has robust election laws that were carefully crafted to protect the integrity of our election system.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Of all the countries in the world that the U.N. could/should be monitoring during elections, they think the U.S. is one of the important ones. The AG of TX has an opinion on this:
    I guess you've missed the Texas commercials that play over and over again....(Visit Texas...it's a whole other country.)

They probably don't play those ads as much in Penn. as they do in NM, But don't worry TX is welcome in NM. We'll teach your kids to ski, and sell you all the over priced RE you care to buy. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

It is part of an international program to promote Democracy and has been going on for over 10 years here is the USA! We set the standard for the rest of the world and the observers learn from being at our elections. They don't interfer or influence and both the Texas AG and Gov should be embarassed for comng off as backwoods hicks!
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLandR View Post
    If they are not trying to interfere, why then is it that they only will monitor conservative groups? Saying the UN doesn't try to interfere is like saying Arnold Schwarzenegger was a faithful husband....
    They keep the legal distance from Polling areas and the last time I checked, it is more than Conservatives that vote! They pick areas throughout the country to observe, not just Texas. Paranoia is dangerous!
    Last edited by Franco; 10-26-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    They keep the legal distance from Polling areas and the last time I checked, it is more than Conservatives that vote! They pick areas throughout the country to observe, not just Texas. Paranoia is dangerous!
    If they keep the legal distance, what are they learning about our voting process? They could learn that we do not need armed guards at polling places. If they monitored my polling place, it would take them 5 minutes to witness long lines of people waiting an hour or more, patiently, for their turn to vote.

And paranoia over the U.N. may be reasonable considering that the U.N. keeps touting proposals that would interfere with some other Constitutional rights, such as their proposal for small arms restrictions, and the U.N.'s desire to collect "taxes" on various developed countries. Should we even mention the Human Rights Council of the U.N.?

I'd venture a guess that U.N. funds are being spent to provide for the travel expenses of all these poll watchers. Still puzzles me that they feel it necessary to monitor the country with one of the longest histories of peaceful transfer of power through peaceful elections. If this has been going on for years, what is left for them to learn? Maybe I'm wrong. May they still have a lot to learn, since only a relatively few countries seem to have been able to emulate this peaceful process.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

The only thing I would like to see the UN do is LEAVE!!!!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    If they keep the legal distance, what are they learning about our voting process? They could learn that we do not need armed guards at polling places. If they monitored my polling place, it would take them 5 minutes to witness long lines of people waiting an hour or more, patiently, for their turn to vote.

And paranoia over the U.N. may be reasonable considering that the U.N. keeps touting proposals that would interfere with some other Constitutional rights, such as their proposal for small arms restrictions, and the U.N.'s desire to collect "taxes" on various developed countries. Should we even mention the Human Rights Council of the U.N.?

I'd venture a guess that U.N. funds are being spent to provide for the travel expenses of all these poll watchers. Still puzzles me that they feel it necessary to monitor the country with one of the longest histories of peaceful transfer of power through peaceful elections. If this has been going on for years, what is left for them to learn? Maybe I'm wrong. May they still have a lot to learn, since only a relatively few countries seem to have been able to emulate this peaceful process.
    One issue at a time

I have no problem with the UN exposing developing Democracies/populations that want to witness how we do things. For many, it is an eye opener. If anything positive can come out of the UN is is furthering the cause of Freedom! To reject those wanting to embarce our system is to reject Democracy.

Is the UN dysfunctional? You bet! But, this is one program that helps makes us a beacon to those wanting a system similar to ours, which is a good thing!

The observers are not there to carry Vote for Obama signs but, to observe from a legal distance.

One issue at a time

I have no problem with the UN exposing developing Democracies/populations that want to witness how we do things. For many, it is an eye opener. If anything positive can come out of the UN is is furthering the cause of Freedom! To reject those wanting to embarce our system is to reject Democracy.

I cannot disagree with this perspective on the program.

If this has been going on for so long, why the notice this time? Are there more observers this time than in previous elections? Has the U.N. made some statement to give some indication that this program will differ in some way from the past? Is it simply because the U.N. has been so anti-American in some of its other functions of late?

Is the UN dysfunctional? You bet! But, this is one program that helps makes us a beacon to those wanting a system similar to ours, which is a good thing!

The observers are not there to carry Vote for Obama signs but, to observe from a legal distance.
    Let's hope that is correct! Since several foreign spokespeople have "endorsed" Obama perhaps that is the fear this go-round?

While Chavez, Castro and some others have made their preferences known, I note that Netanyahu, and other allies, have been careful not to do the that ...
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

It is part of an international program to promote Democracy and has been going on for over 10 years here is the USA! We set the standard for the rest of the world and the observers learn from being at our elections. They don't interfer or influence and both the Texas AG and Gov should be embarassed for comng off as backwoods hicks!
    You might find a bunch of new immigrants to Texas that would agree with you, but speaking as a native born (3rd generation at least) Texan, I like the AG's position (and believe that most of the actual Texans I know would agree with me). I certainly don't want a bunch of outside agitators coming to Texas and attempting to muck things up. If they are coming to see how things should be done, OK, but if they are coming to "monitor" how we do things, they can mind their own damned business. If we can't keep the US out of the UN, then at least maybe we can keep the UN out of Texas. (Sorry for you if you think that makes me sound like a hick).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    You might find a bunch of new immigrants to Texas that would agree with you, but speaking as a native born (3rd generation at least) Texan, I like the AG's position (and believe that most of the actual Texans I know would agree with me). I certainly don't want a bunch of outside agitators coming to Texas and attempting to muck things up. If they are coming to see how things should be done, OK, but if they are coming to "monitor" how we do things, they can mind their own damned business. If we can't keep the US out of the UN, then at least maybe we can keep the UN out of Texas. (Sorry for you if you think that makes me sound like a hick).
    They been observing for 10 years and no problems with "agitating" so far. What leads you to believe that they will be here this time to agitate?