The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog limping

Default Dog limping

I just got back from my hunting trip and I noticed during the trip Max started limping on his left front leg. The weird thing is that it just comes and goes. Yesterday during training I threw a mark for him and he ran out there but when he came to a stop I noticed the limp started again. I stopped what we where doing and took him home and within 30 minutes it was gone. I'm thinking he might have strained/sprained something but I'm starting to worry a ligament injury. What do you guys think?

Check for tick borne disease
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Rest is best for now. Give him two weeks off.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Rest and see what happens. Mine rested was fine off and on. He went on like this for about a year than we found out it was a torn biceps. It was weird he could hunt, run a test never limp than go for a walk and come up lame.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

I'm getting a little nervous that something major happened
    I do my best trying to help him down out of the vehicle but sometimes he is to quick for me to get a hold of him and I know my hunting partner didn't help him down. Last night he jumped out of the vehicle before I was ready and all I could do was grab his collar before he hit the ground. I slowed him down but when he landed he let out a yelp and took off running. Never limped after that. Hopefully its othingmajor and

I wasted alot of time & money at my local vet they took xrays which showed nothing because they don't show soft tissue injuries. They gave him pain meds and said to rest him for at least 6 weeks. Like I said this went off and on for a long time , rest helpled then he would limp. In training taking a right angle back always seemed to make the problem worse. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who did an exam took his own xrays ( his were digital and he couldn't use the ones from my vet) he suggested going in with a scope finding the problem and fixing it all at one time, rather than a doing a costly mri , than having to go in anyway. My dog had a torn biceps and a small tear in another tendon.
    Last edited by gmhr1; 10-26-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

These little guys are just like athletes. They get minor dings all the time. I can't count the number of times I have had mine and client dogs limp for a bit. So far, knock on wood, it has just been minor dings.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    Rest and see what happens.
    Rest means - crate rest and leash walks to potty
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Friend has a dog he was going to run in the MNH this year, he comes down for training & a NAHRA test, prior and during one of the setup his girl comes up with a limp, seems to be in pain. We give her an aspirin and he rests her the rest of the day. She's fine in the morning, runs the weekend test passes both days. Goes home, more training, limp comes back, rest her. But now nationals is coming up, no one wants to take an injured dog cross country. So he takes her to the vet, x-ray reveals partially torn ALC, surgery, No National.

Hope Rest will take care of your dog, but if the limp seem to come and go, you might have a bigger problem. Rest for sure but keep an eye on it.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Vague intermittent lameness is a symptom of tick-born diseases, couldn't hurt to run a tick panel before it's too late to effectively treat.