RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Judging question

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  SCOTT C. 
#1 ·
I am not sure of the answer to this question and I am too jet lagged to look right now.
if you are holding a HT and have an apprentice judge at a certain level, canthe spouse of the apprentice run their dog in that flight?
I understand that the apprentice is to have no input as to actual judging, however, the AKC states.

Apprentice Judges are subject to the same restrictions as the approved judges.

That seems to say that entering a dog owned, trained..... cannot be entered in the same flight? Can someone clear this up?

thanks

#2 ·
A dog is not eligible to be entered in any Hunting Test (Junior, Senior or Master) at a licensed or member Hunting Test if a Judge of that Test or any member of his family has owned, sold, held under lease, boarded, trained or handled the dog within one year of the starting date of the Hunting Test.
For purposes of this Section, the words “any member of his family” shall include a spouse, a sibling, a
parent or a child, whether natural or adopted, of the Judge in question, but shall not extend to other blood or legal relationships.
Each test or division of a test shall be judged by at least two qualified Judges. The same judge will not be approved to undertake identical assignments on consecutive days or consecutive back-to-back events.
If a club must substitute or use additional Judges for any reason the substitute or additional Judges shall fulfill the requirements to judge, as previously stated. Prompt notification with the reasons for any changes shall be sent to The American Kennel Club in advance of the Hunting Test.

and

Apprentice Judges must be available and on the grounds for the entire time the test level they are apprenticing is in progress, including setup time, through the completion of the tests, tallying of scores and discussion by the judges of those dogs that are to qualify. As with the assigned Judges, the Apprentice Judge may not serve either on the Event Committee or as the Event Secretary. Apprentice Judges are subject to the same restrictions as the approved judges. There shall be no more than one apprentice judge assigned to any one set of approved judges at any test level or division of a test level.

Your memory was correct.

#6 ·
Tom if he checks with the AKC and gets their official stance on it then if someone argues about it he has something more to back it up other then what they might think is just his preception of what the rule is. It wouldn't hurt to check.

#7 ·
It is being done. To be honest I believe the statement that apprentices are subject to all judging requirements means that you cannot run under a spouce who is apprenticing, however, I am not sure. This is not specifically spelled out. Having the AKC give a decision will help either way.
That said I wounded how many different opinions one could get from AKC and various field reps.

#8 ·
Why not move said dog to another flight? If the handler has only one dog, shouldn't be much of an issue. I've seen last minute switches with a handler/judge where the judge had boarded one of the dogs on a truck, they moved ~5 dogs to another flight and had to move a couple back I guess, but the changes were done day one of the test since the HT Sec didn't know of the "conflict".

#9 ·
The regs as currently written do not specially mention eligibility of dogs run under an apprentice judge. A new reg has been promulagted that would apply all eligibility conditions to apprentices as well. So under the new reg a spouse/family member of an apprentice could not run a dog in that flight. However, the proposed reg will not go into effect until next year.
Personally I don't see an issue as the apprentice cannot - by rule - influence the scoring of the judges. The change is being made, I guess, to eleminate any perception of unfairness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.