The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: inducing heat

I used Ovuplant to get my bitch into heat a month early. With the coming hunting season I wanted to get the pups to their new homes and have time to get the bitch back into shape before my trip this year, we leave Friday!!!. The bitch MUST be 135 from the previous ovulation. After implantation they start heat on 5-7 days, then ovulate 5-7 days later. I found the heat moves MUCH faster, get progesterone tests starting 4-5 days after starting heat, do NOT go by vaginal smears, they go fast. My bitch had classic progesterone increases, bred with frozen semen 5 days after LH spike, 3 days after ovulation, and we had a great litter. The implant is removed at the time if breeding.

I worked with Dr. Robert Hutchinsen in the Cleveland area to obtain the implant and do the actual breeding. Thanks also to Dr. Mary Tatum and her associates for getting me the semen on short notice. A
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

One other thing.
    If you really want to know for sure the ovulation date, have blood draw, separated and save the serum everyday starting day 5. Freeze the serum samples. Have your vet obtain the LH test from Symbiotics, once you find some increasing progesterone you can go back and run the LH test till you find a positive. That will tell you the LH spike and you now know ovulation will take place in 2 days. I would not say the progesterone test is worthless, it has its use, especially when combined with the LH test. You need to know either the LH spike or the exact progesterone #s to determine ovulation.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

Default Heat cycles after using Ovuplant

With the ovuplant how was your females next cycle, was it on her normal schedule month wise. Did you breed her any times after the ovuplant without using the ovuplant.
    HRCH UH HEIDL'S MALLARD MACHINE MH 500 Point Club ( SWIPER )
    HEIDL'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT MH ( RIPLEY )
    LOCKED 'N' LOADED'S DOWN AND DIRTY MH ( MUD )
    LOCKED 'N' LOADED'S DOUBLE SHOT MH ( BB )
    LOCKED 'N' LOADED'S H2O MH ( SPLASH )

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    This dog does not show blood until she is well on her way out ....too late to mate by then ....we think the beginning of the cycle is aprox 3 weeks earlier....Steve S
    Steve, I own a Lab female with the same issues... missed her in two previous breeding attempts. By the time she would finally swell show some signs, progestrone test indicates she was two weeks post prime time. Little to no spotting or swelling thru the whole heat cycle. Finally got her bred this summer with the help from Symbioun in Abilene Kansas and paying attention to my male Boykin Spaniel who seemed to start showing some early interest. From the time he first seemed to notice her Symbioun was doing the breeding four days later with frozen semen surgical and she whelped 10 pups.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)