RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

inducing heat

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  frontier 
#1 ·
There was a thread some time back that mentioned an implant used to induce heat and then it was removed when they did the surgical implant... Can 't seem to find the topic ...Can some one give me some info on its use and what it is called..? Thanks Steve S

#2 ·
Search for "ovuplant"

#7 ·
This dog does not show blood until she is well on her way out ....too late to mate by then ....we think the beginning of the cycle is aprox 3 weeks earlier....Steve S

#14 ·
Steve, I own a Lab female with the same issues... missed her in two previous breeding attempts. By the time she would finally swell show some signs, progestrone test indicates she was two weeks post prime time. Little to no spotting or swelling thru the whole heat cycle. Finally got her bred this summer with the help from Symbioun in Abilene Kansas and paying attention to my male Boykin Spaniel who seemed to start showing some early interest. From the time he first seemed to notice her Symbioun was doing the breeding four days later with frozen semen surgical and she whelped 10 pups.

#8 ·
Do you have an approximate idea of when she should be due to come in, ex; is she ~ every 7mts, a year etc. How about checking progesterone levels during that 3 week window? That would at least map her cycle, and perhaps give an idea of correct timing.

#10 · (Edited)
Increasing beta carotene (boosts progesterone levels in dogs and goats)

Don't work the bitch hard and feed her more to put on some weight when she gets close to her cycle time. Just a couple pounds. These things will help her go into heat.

The first thing to keep in mind about a bitches heat cycle is that they are never the same as another dogs. Messing around with your dogs hormons during pregnancy can have health risk for the breeding female and don't gaurantee results. If you need to know the best time to breed your bitch have the vet draw blood and have the local hospital lab do the progreston test. It will take multiple test to zero in on ovulation which will occure when the bitch reaches 4 - 5 ng/ml. The color metric test for progestrone is worthless.

There is a link to the article where I got the graph.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2109&aid=3201
Another couple good reads on the subject. These are clinic studies.
http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/iscfr/2012/154.pdf?LA=1

Read this one about the outcome of bitches given preogestrone supliments.
http://www.ivis.org/advances/concannon/root/ivis.pdf

Illness can cause problems make sure you have your bitch checked for brucellosis and herpes. And make sure the stud is tested too. You don't want the stud infecting your bitch.

#11 ·
I used Ovuplant to get my bitch into heat a month early. With the coming hunting season I wanted to get the pups to their new homes and have time to get the bitch back into shape before my trip this year, we leave Friday!!!. The bitch MUST be 135 from the previous ovulation. After implantation they start heat on 5-7 days, then ovulate 5-7 days later. I found the heat moves MUCH faster, get progesterone tests starting 4-5 days after starting heat, do NOT go by vaginal smears, they go fast. My bitch had classic progesterone increases, bred with frozen semen 5 days after LH spike, 3 days after ovulation, and we had a great litter. The implant is removed at the time if breeding.

I worked with Dr. Robert Hutchinsen in the Cleveland area to obtain the implant and do the actual breeding. Thanks also to Dr. Mary Tatum and her associates for getting me the semen on short notice. A

#12 ·
One other thing.
If you really want to know for sure the ovulation date, have blood draw, separated and save the serum everyday starting day 5. Freeze the serum samples. Have your vet obtain the LH test from Symbiotics, once you find some increasing progesterone you can go back and run the LH test till you find a positive. That will tell you the LH spike and you now know ovulation will take place in 2 days. I would not say the progesterone test is worthless, it has its use, especially when combined with the LH test. You need to know either the LH spike or the exact progesterone #s to determine ovulation.

#13 ·
Heat cycles after using Ovuplant

With the ovuplant how was your females next cycle, was it on her normal schedule month wise. Did you breed her any times after the ovuplant without using the ovuplant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.