The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Collapsed In Field

It never ceases to amaze me that when truly professional advice is given there are still the internet geniuses that chime in..
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

I used a product called energy Pack by National Foods years ago for bird dogs that suffered from hypoglycemic conditions when hunting...Honey is a good thing to carry for the unexpected event ...Ed did qualify his original post with the first sentence ...but as he said , the most obvious to check first fit the symptoms...Great to have him around to give advice and second opinions when in doubt.....Thanks Ed ....Steve S

do you guys feed your dogs before you take them hunting, I am just wondering what everyone does

I feed 1 cup AM and 3 cups PM

Heck Doc Ed don't know nothing about retrievers he just has those pesky terrrier types. don't believe me just look at his avatar.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    (Assuming it's hypoglycemia and not a million other possibilities...)

Since I have one of those pesky jobs, our field work is limited to one day a week, weekend warrier stuff. I drive a million miles to the training area, train for 2 or 3 hours, often in wet and/or windy cold conditions, and drive a million miles back, usually with a wet dog. Dog comes in and out of van repeatedly as I do a set up, run her, set up, etc.

I bring several towels. I put a clean, dry towel on top of her foam crate mat at the start of the trip. If she's wet from swimming, I towel her off before she goes into her crate and exchange crate towels as they get wet. I bring a few sandwich bags half full of easy-to-digest goodies: pieces of lunch meat or hame, string cheese, vanilla wafers, that dog food that comes in rolls, etc.

I've never had her get hypothermic, but, on one of our first long club training days, when we spent too much time in wind and cold waiting in line, and she rode home on a damp crate mat, she had a case of cold tail. I try like heck to avoid that again.

I'm slightly confused. EdA is talking hypoglycemia witch makes sense. You are talking hypothermia? Is there a full moon on RTF tonight?
    Black as mollases, call name Strap

Sire: Fc Afc Land ahoy "PIRATE"

Dam: Ten bears little bit "BUTTON"

I bet Dr.Ed is just cringin that Gooser is gonna post about this!

Bein a Diabetic. When I have had Low sugar incidents in the field while hunting,,

I become lethargic, confused, clumsy,, most assuredly collapsing,,,, I do not recognise anyone.,,, and what I definatly need to make Goosers world well agin is something sweet.

A candy bar,, a can of Soda,, or just plain sugar and water.

I do carry Glucose tablets that can be placed under my tounge,, and will work fast, to keep me from stripping all my clothes off in front of people.

I agree with Dr Ed... For all that is worth..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

The little restaurant packets of honey are easy to keep and carry, and work well for hypoglycemic dogs.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by blackasmollases View Post
    I'm slightly confused. EdA is talking hypoglycemia witch makes sense. You are talking hypothermia? Is there a full moon on RTF tonight?
    I'm not a vet. But I'd say you're trying to avoid both in cold, damp weather. It takes energy (glucose, aka blood sugar) to keep warm. Shivering takes glucose. Add a lot of physical exertion and you might get a blood sugar crash. But low blood sugar can also affect the ability to generate enough heat to keep warm. Either way, periodic snacks and trying to keep a dog warmer and/or drier are a good idea.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    I'm not a vet. But I'd say you're trying to avoid both in cold, damp weather. It takes energy (glucose, aka blood sugar) to keep warm. Shivering takes glucose. Add a lot of physical exertion and you might get a blood sugar crash. But low blood sugar can also affect the ability to generate enough heat to keep warm. Either way, periodic snacks and trying to keep a dog warmer and/or drier are a good idea.
    No disrespect meant. But the op stated he was pheasant hunting. I've done a lot of upland hunting and most of the time I saw have been more concerned with the dog overheating or finding gooser necked .
    Totally agree with your statement in a waterfowl situation.
    Black as mollases, call name Strap

Sire: Fc Afc Land ahoy "PIRATE"

Dam: Ten bears little bit "BUTTON"