The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dog Collapsed In Field

If in fact your dog became hypoglycemic, which is kind of what it sounds like, get on the "net" and Google satin balls. Its a high energy
    dog treat you can make yourself. You'll find the recipe.

Have you ruled out EIC?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Homburg View Post
    Thanks Dr. Ed for this comparison, being a middle distance runner myself this will help greatly. When hunting pheasants, when we had them in KS, I had some buddies that would take a loaf of bread with them and put peanut butter and honey on one slice after we went through a field and would give their labs and brittany's one a couple of times a day. Seemed to work good and I enjoyed the snack as well.

BTW No pheasants in KS regards,

Aaron
    Aron , Just maybe instead of a middle distant runner you become a long distant one on the pheasant hunts...There is a lot of demand difference between running a triple and a blind vs a days hunt in the field for pheasants...On us and the dogs....I believe we don't take that into consideration when we change our hunting styles..I believe they require different approaches to nutrition for the day at least to keep them in top shape through out the day or days in the field...Steve S

She is genetically sound, EIC is not an issue.

Well I had her looked at by the vet including blood work and everything has passed with flying colors. The vet said that her heart is great, and her blood work was perfect. He feels that she was probably over her limit for the day and her blood sugar dropped causing her issues. He was surprised that she went down the way that I described based on how good of shape she is in, but he said that it can happen to the best of them.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions, I am prepared when we take the field now! She has been out pheasant hunting several times at 2 hour intervals and has done just fine physically so hopefully we are passed this and better prepared to minimize this from happening in the future.

Thanks again!

I first experienced this problem with my 5 year old golden whilst "picking up" on several large shoots in England.It occurred again a few weeks later both at one of the shoots and also in training.
    My solution was to offer him water and occasional squirts from a cyclist's water bottle filled with a powdered glucose /water solutiion.
    This solved the problem for me .Our vet thought the problem was epilepsy and treated him accordingly but my belief was that my boy just ran out energy ,dehydrated much like a marathon runner "hitting the wall".
    It is frightening the first time this happens and in our case he lay shaking on the ground for a couple of minutes or so.Once we got back in the truck with plenty of liquids and rest he was fine in an hour or so.
    Triggered by high excitment and lots of work from a dog with a huge prey drive on the mild days of winter.I guess it maybe genetic also, as unrelated other goldies we had at the time did not experience these collapses, however none of the other dogs had the retrieving desire of the big fella.,. In our case it was probably EIC but I"m no expert.
    It has never recurred since we stopped "picking up" seriously 7 years ago.
    THe big fella is still with us at 13 years.
    Last edited by Ralph Pitfield; 11-06-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Spelling