The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Collapsed In Field

I am under the notion that it is carbohydrates and fats that are needed ... Don't long distance runners store up on carbs days before the race to prevent this depletion of glycogen in the muscles...In running dogs we always tried to add fats and carbs before long hunts...Steve S

Thanks for all the information. It was a cold, snowy, damp day and I am thinking that is was a one time crash as she bounced back very well with rest, food, and water. I ran her only only once each of the following two days in light cover for no more than 30 minutes each time and she tried to claw her way out of her crate the rest of the day so I know she was feeling good and wanted more. I will be taking her to the vet for a complete check this week to see if anything else looks off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Don't long distance runners store up on carbs days before the race to prevent this depletion of glycogen in the muscles...In running dogs we always tried to add fats and carbs before long hunts...Steve S
    Yes runners do that but they also have volumes of science to lead the way. I have not seen the performance laboratory tests on dogs altho it is probably out there just not in the depth that human performance studies have been done on folks like us as well as world class athletes. So we stumble on with what "grandpa did" and what "my neighbor told me" to go along with the "old wives tales" instead of science. This evidenced by the diagnoses already made here.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    The little restaurant packets of honey are easy to keep and carry, and work well for hypoglycemic dogs.
    My (miserable) experience is that they break open very easily in your pocket and make a miserable sticky mess

Hmmm. I carry them in a small ziplock sandwich bag and have never had a problem...been doing it for many years.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    Yes runners do that but they also have volumes of science to lead the way. I have not seen the performance laboratory tests on dogs altho it is probably out there just not in the depth that human performance studies have been done on folks like us as well as world class athletes. So we stumble on with what "grandpa did" and what "my neighbor told me" to go along with the "old wives tales" instead of science. This evidenced by the diagnoses already made here.
    Retrievers are not like distance runners but more like a combination of endurance and sprinting and the dog's nutritional needs are different than humans so comparing one to the other is inaccurate. The nutritional requirements for sled dogs are more like those of human endurance athletes. Retrievers rely on both aerobic and anaerobic metabolism so their requirements would be more similar to middle distance runners than distance runners

Energy pack was developed for the sled dog racers in the Iditarod ( spelling ?) I believe it is 24 - 44 ....high in fats ...It is a powder to be mixed with water to help with hydration also....

Ed , what would you say was a long test time on an all age or national event ...Steve S

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Retrievers are not like distance runners but more like a combination of endurance and sprinting and the dog's nutritional needs are different than humans so comparing one to the other is inaccurate. The nutritional requirements for sled dogs are more like those of human endurance athletes. Retrievers rely on both aerobic and anaerobic metabolism so their requirements would be more similar to middle distance runners than distance runners

Thanks Dr. Ed for this comparison, being a middle distance runner myself this will help greatly. When hunting pheasants, when we had them in KS, I had some buddies that would take a loaf of bread with them and put peanut butter and honey on one slice after we went through a field and would give their labs and brittany's one a couple of times a day. Seemed to work good and I enjoyed the snack as well.

BTW No pheasants in KS regards,

Aaron
    AFC Iron Lines Sergeant Pepper "Pepper"
    FC FTCH Westwood's Sunday Silence "Buck"
    Sweet Swingin' Fred MH ***

www.southforkkennelsllc.com

Well gosh, now I feel all silly for posting the old 2008 post (EIC vs hypoglycemia). You've all answered some of my questions here but I had a 6 yo male in a hunting home also collapse yesterday. Talk about a full moon. We will be ruling out EIC however, since that is a possibility, but I appreciate reading the suggestions here on low blood sugar as well. Anne

We had a poodle with hypoglycemia we gave her a finger full of karo syrup she would bounce right back. On a long duck hunting day we keep a few small milk bones in our pocket . Prayers sent.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )