The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new and could use some help !

Default new and could use some help !

first off i would like to say hello ! secondly i truly dont want to start a fight or a bickering session i would like to get some solid info .. i know this is going to be opinion based some what vbut i could really use a little help !!!first off im located in northeast ohio ,here is what im looking for and i have done hours and hours of looking online but i guess truly i dont really know what im looking for ! when it come to lines and breeding's , i had a deposit down on a pup from a bigger name british kennel , but things didnt work out and communication was horrible so i asked for my deposit back , anyway what im asking is british or american i really dont care as long as our pup has a good temperament and a great nose ! im mainly looking for a dog that i can use as a shed dog and im starting to get into some waterfowl and also to become my best hunting buddy ,,, thanks for any help ,, and please i really dont want to start a fight over the british /american thing just looking for some honest feed back and help ,,,scott

If your looking for a worker and less concerned with appearance, start with titles in the pedigree. Next, make absolute certain health certifications are in place.

Whatever dog you get, make sure there is at least some hunt in the background. Then visit the parents to see them work if you can. If you go by titles in the pedigree only, you will be overlooking a lot of nice dogs that may suit your needs.
    Last edited by gdgnyc; 10-27-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Added "titles in the"
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Check locally for a hunt test or field trial club..Go out meet the members watch their dogs and ask about breedings I think they would steer you in the right direction,As mentioned in previous post check heath clearance.

thanks everyone so far for the help

Just did some break out training with my first all British Lab, a little nerves, some what soft, but intelligent. Probably would be good for a new trainer that took it slow and was not heavy handed with the collar.

The native lines, I would go with at least some titles in their back ground and stay away from show lines.
    Keith

thanks Keith i have spent all last night and most of the day today inside since its raining pretty hard instead of in my treestand looking for dogs online and looking up pedigrees and searching the forum i have already been messaged by a member here that has some nice looking dogs and will probably be contacted him real soon ! about a pup maybe he has a big chocolate male left lol !like i said im still pretty green with labs so i hope i pick what im looking for in a dog ,, when i was into shorthairs i had a pretty good grasp on the lines i wanted and worked around alot of the dogs so i new pretty much what lines did what

Sound like you are doing your home work. As far as chocolate's are concerned, I would be looking for some black factor ( Tilted ) within the first three generations.

Just my option.
    Keith

Keith I have heard this about chocolates before I had a guy tell me that a chocolate won't have as good of a nose ? I didn't really buy into that but I have read before on forums people mostly go for yellows and blacks or fox reds but mistyped black I know the 2011 shed dog champ was a chocolate so IDE think his nose was good which is what my new pup will mostly be until I get totally bit by the waterfowl bug but having a business in the whitetail industry I imagine it will be a lot of shed hunting and a little water fowl and upland

That's great, I am into mostly waterfowl and upland. I have no experience in what it takes to fined antlers.
    keith