The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: victor dog food is beef good for labs

I switched to victor about 6 months ago and have had great results. I feed the hi-pro 30/20. Dogs have great energy and shiny coats. Less seems to come out the back end too.

So....is there or is there not something in beef that neg. effects Labs. Something along the lines of how collies cant tolerate ivermec?? I just started to give me dog beef bones from the butcher. i do not want to do something that might hurt him because i did not know about it.
    Benjamin Fain

No, there is nothing specific about Labs that makes feeding beef or a beef-based food a concern. Or any other breed as far as I know.
    Edited to add: Some dogs might be allergic to beef. Just like some dogs are allergic to chicken, or soy, or wheat, etc.... Personally I would love to give Victor food a try if we could get it up here.
    Last edited by Erin Lynes; 10-28-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Senior Member BWCA Labs Margo Penke's Avatar

Our dogs are doing great so far on the Victor's Dog Food, stools are good, coats are doing real fine...size of kibble is a non issue for us...so far we really like the dog food for our Labs. Feeding Victor's Select Professional: http://www.victordogfood.com/
    Home of: Jolor's Rejuvenator MH "Sparkle"
    Jolor's Pixie Blue SH "Pixie"
    Jolor's One to Hold Onto "Keeper"
    Jolor's Twice as Nice "JoJo"

www.bwcalabs.com

"When one is rough or cruel, it means that bodily abuse is given for no reason. When one is firm, he gets the dog to obey with a minimum of force. It is obvious that a trainer can't get co-operation from a frightened dog." ~ Joe (Lorraine) DeLoia (2/19/50)

the only thing to be aware of is that beef is #1 on the list of most common food allergies and intolerances in all dogs, so if your dogs develop any new issues or symptoms you might want to suspect the food.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=468

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2111&aid=143

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

been using victor for about 3 weeks and good results so far. feeding the hi-pro plus ($32) and i def like the results. plus having to feed 3.5 cups compared to 5.5 is great. my dog food container holds 30 lbs so normally with Eukanuba ($42) i feed 3-4 meals out of whats left in the bag after dumping it into the container before i start using whats in the container. it took 2 weeks to feed the rest of the bag with victor. 40# bag plus less per serving is really helping out my pocket book.

even got my parents to start feeding it to their house dogs (6). they buy the all-life stage formulas which is $26 per bag. they were feeding IAMS and it was more than that for a 33# bag.

A specific breed of dog, affected by a specific protein source I cannot see, unless there some sort of inherit intolerance to the protein. A specific dog doing better on one protein source over another, now that's entirely possible, particularly if said dog has Allergies to a certain protein source. Ex a lot of dogs are developing an allergy to chicken, nice to know there are other P-sources out there, I'll have to put victor on the list for protein allergies. Is beef the only protein source in the food?
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Question Size of Victor Dog Food Bags?

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    bought my fist bag of victor yesterday. turquoise bag 30/20 (its for pups too) dog got his first meal tonight ate 2 cups in less than 5 mins. i switched from eukanuba which had gone up to 46 at TSC at my local feed store victor is 32 for 40lbs. they had other bags for 26. we will see tomorrow about how the stool is. he seemed to like it.

only initial drawback is the kibble size. its tiny. bout a centimeter in width
    Have been buying the Victor No Grain Dog Food for the last 3 months. It is a new product that the local Ace Hardware just brought in. My bags are 30# bags. Have they reduced the size of their bags from 40#? I agree, wish the size of the kibble were larger.

grain free is 30lbs. gluten free (no corn soy or wheat) is 40lbs. all there foods are gluten free the grains are rice, barley, etc

I have one question, who actually makes the food for Victor? I have a friend that has his own brand of dog food, but does not manufacture it himself. I also hauled a lot of dog food back when I was trucking and I asked what I would have to do to start my own brand and was told all I would have to do was buy bags to put it in and they would be glad to fill them with the same food as many other brands they made, just would use a different shaped cutter to not get sued by another customer.