RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Sandy

17K views 79 replies 35 participants last post by  Bridget Bodine 
#1 ·
I hope everyone is prepared for this storm. It looks to be real bad for us in NY/NJ/PA. Everyone stay safe and hope for the best.

#5 ·
Take care Bait (and all the folks up that way) ... Been in touch with family on Long Island - its already a “mess” thanks to the wind - now 3 days of rain ahead. :( Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers!

#12 ·
Yeah the storm surge already is wrecking Atlantic City boardwalk. And the storm isn't even here yet. Gonna pass right over us, or just south. Which gives us the NE quadrant of the storm. (the worst wind and surge) Delaware Bay has already set a new record for water level. Still got awhile before it all hits us full force. And they are calling for about 10" of rain here.

#10 ·
I'm in CT, gov evacuated about 400,000 people on the coast fearing huge storm surge of up to 11 feet! Not too much rain on this side of the storm but big wind expected! I'm a little inland, me and the pups are prepared for the worst and hoping to catch a break!

Chris

#11 ·
Hey Chris they must have left me. Still in my house watching Long Island Sound across the street. It's Ken's fault needed to make french toast and finish up our maple syrup. Didn't want to take a chance of loosing my maple syrup.

#13 ·
I got to get me some of his liquid gold! Sounds like a great reason to stay put! Do you have to evac your area? Sounds like its gonna get pretty serious on the coast.......or am I just caving into all of the hype on the news!! Good luck getting though this!

Chris

#14 ·
Yes last night I got notice of a mandatory evacuation. They spelled mandatory wrong so I'm staying for awhile.

#23 ·

Stay safe, moscowitz. This does look like a bad one. I saw water over the beach and onto the streets on the Rockaway Peninsula. Could happen by you.

#19 ·
John,

Thats crazy! It's gonna get fun for sure!

Chris

#18 ·
be safe George!

Chris

#25 · (Edited)
but how high could that be?? Like a hill or knoll?

how else would you say it? It's not like it is two words or sumptin' ;-)

I live on the edge of the terminal moraine of the glacier and can see out over the southern half of Lon-Gisland. I guess like a small ridge?

There's only one way to say it and that's as one word, the way you and I say it.

(Apropos to this, I once heard Tennessee Ernie Ford say that his teacher tried to get him to spell 'taters with a p.)

#24 ·
Not as low as alot of places nearby, believe it or not. Worst part for us is the fact that we are directly in it's way. So, combination of rain, wind, is almost certain to add up to power outage. We're pretty prepared. But, got a lot of time to ride it. The more time goes by, the better the chances are to lose power. My biggest concern is my dad, who is 30 miles away. But, he's on really high ground and has a 15kv generator hooked up to his whole building. (House is built on top of his airplane hangar) Built like a fort. :)
You guys hold on for the ride. Good luck to you all and God Bless.

#28 ·
So far just a little drizzle and some gusty winds. Rain is suppose to start tonight and the worst of the winds will be tonight. Predicting 30-40 mph wind with gusts up to 60 mph and only up to 3 inches of rain, even though it is suppose to rain most of the week. Thankfully temps are above normal so no bitter cold to go with the wind. We will be getting off easy compared to those farther south.

Prayers for all.

#31 ·
In Watford, Ontario by Sarnia where I am, winds have picked up significantly this afternoon. Calling for 45mph to 60mph especially tonight. I am waiting for the rain. Too much means flooding in the basement!:) They have stopped the ships from entering Lake Huron. 6 ships in the St. Clair R. and 12 on Lake Superior waiting her out. Expecting 18 foot waves! Also Blue Water Bridge between US and Can. may shut to trucks. We are in her path? Nothing like you folks are experiencing though. Stay safe!!!!

#32 ·
Im just outside Philly.. We have our power but some of the neighboring towns are out. Trees are down.. Wind is really blowing pretty good. A lot of NJ is out of power. Some of the shore points are underwater. Its crazy!

#33 ·
Well we lost the power early this morning? The wind is still battering us anywhere from 45 to 60 mph a north wind coming from Lake Huron tip. And the RAIN! Hydro crews unable to come out with such dangerous winds. Looks like a long outage?
Hope you all in Sandy's path have faired okay. I at least have my computer to read RTF!:) Take care.

#40 ·
Gooser you beat me to it ...hope you and yours are OK Miss Vicky.....

#36 ·
In Southern Ontario (again inland), we got big winds and rain. Mostly downed trees here and there and some power outages. We've had 3 straight days of rain ahead of Sandy so everyone was worried about flooding but we're all good here. Nothing like what NY/NJ got. Some very powerful pictures. Let's hope everyone stays safe.

#37 ·
Prayers out to all those who have been affected by this powerful storm!

Many in our flight at the Master National were keeping close tabs on it's projected path. Worrying about the families, homes, and animals they left behind to attend the event. I hope all are safe and damage is minimal!

#41 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.