RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Sandy

17K views 79 replies 35 participants last post by  Bridget Bodine 
#1 ·
I hope everyone is prepared for this storm. It looks to be real bad for us in NY/NJ/PA. Everyone stay safe and hope for the best.

#47 ·
Glad you are OK Miss Vicky relatively speaking..:) Hope your clean up goes well !!
After seeing all the devastation in other areas, we count ourselves extremely lucky.

I am thankful that my family and friends (including those on RTF) are safe and weathered the storm well. I much prefer "clean up" to seeing someone in the hospital or attending a funeral. Unfortunately, others on the east coast don't have that option.

The devastation in NJ & NY just tears at my heart. I can't imagine losing everything we own and seeing my whole neighborhood wiped out by flooding or fire. :(

#44 ·
Glad everyone is ok! I just don't understand if you are told to evacuate why you stay. That is how people die.

#46 ·
Glad you are OK Miss Vicky relatively speaking..:) Hope your clean up goes well !!

#48 ·
Has anyone heard from gdgnyc? No one seems able to get in touch with him, and the fires are a bit of a concern. Hopefully it's just a power outage keeping him from responding.

#55 ·
I know some folks down in Jersey and Long Island that I have yet to hear from... Pretty bad down that way... Funny how folks go back to Katrina.. Figured they would have learned from Andrew back in the early 90's.. Don't underestimate mother nature, she is very unforgiving. Hope everyone made it through OK. Jim

#57 ·
Holly ****! I grew up on the Jersey shore both in Ocean City and closer to NY near Point Pleasant .
There are thousands of homes from DE to LI NY that are destroyed.
If your a builder or trades person who has been out of work there will be many job opportunities especially in NJ.
I Staten island on the news. Don't Rooney and Barb Radtke live on SI? If not I think real close.
Hope they're OK. I don't know of any other field trailers along the coast that's trashed.
Man it's a mess. Weird it's affected me in PA as my bank is down the shore and their data center flooded out.
Big mess.

#61 ·
Holly ****! I grew up on the Jersey shore both in Ocean City and closer to NY near Point Pleasant .
There are thousands of homes from DE to LI NY that are destroyed.
If your a builder or trades person who has been out of work there will be many job opportunities especially in NJ.

Better be a union member or a union contractor, they are reporting on the radio that they are turning away non-union electrical workers.

#58 ·
It's been a crazy week for us. My daughter and her family live (or should I say lived) on Long Beach - a barrier island on the south side of Long Island. The winds shifted around driving the water surge and wind directly onto Long Beach and they lost everything - they were lucky to get out alive. The three of them, Jacki, her husband Michael and my grandson, Thomas, managed to walk off the island the day after the storm, crossing the bridge and were rescued by friends. She said the devastation was EPIC and the family is still in shock....they carried their dog Trico the entire way. Unfortunately, Trico, a 16 yr. old family pet, had suffered injuries the night before as they all scrambled to make it to the 2nd floor when the waters surged in...sadly, yesterday they had to make the sad decision to put Trico down as he could no longer stand on his back legs. Please add them to your prayers for all who were caught in this horrific storm.

#64 ·
If there is anything I can do to help out fellow retriever enthusiasts, please let me know. I can deliver dog food, temporary kennels, or can shelter 3 dogs here on the eastern shore of Maryland if your kennels have been damaged. I am about 3 hours from NJ.
Wendy

#66 ·
Funny how folks go back to Katrina.. Figured they would have learned from Andrew back in the early 90's..
Jim, there was nothing "funny" about Katrina or Andrew. I was here for both and it makes me sorrowful thinking of both those storms. South La is our home and we rebuild and do the best we can. No less than folks whose lives are turned upside down in tornado alley or out west when a big quake hits.

i don't believe for a second you meant any harm by your choice of words, so peace my friend. Peace.

i encourage all of our RTF brethren to donate to the Red Cross, or try to help in any way they can. Even a small donation means so much.

#67 ·
Just a little update. Gas is very difficult to find (reminds me of the Road Warrior). Many grocery stores had to throw out their perishables-meat, milk, all dairy, produce.

I am proud of my son. He is an RN and has volunteered to work at an emergency shelter.

I heard someone say that gas should be easier to get by Wednesday. I have enough to get by until Monday. Not too bad.

#70 ·
#69 ·
Whenever there is a natural disaster in a foreign country the US sends some sort of help or relief. I have not heard of any foreign country sending any kind of relief to the US. WHY Not?

Cindy R.

#73 ·
I have started a chip in site to raise funds to buy dog food (and some cat food) for the Sandy victims of Ocean and Monmouth counties in NJ ( hardest hit in NJ as far as home losses) . I have already raised enough for ONE FULL TON of dog food! DeCoverly Kennels is providing the food, and I am providing my time and my truck , including expenses and labor. The funds will pay for dog food at my wholesale price, with absolutely no markup. I will order it on Friday , it will be delivered by tractor trailer on Monday (the 12th) and go onto my truck and trailer directly. An then I will drive it down.
Please consider donating, I will make trips each week as long as the funds come in and there is a need, (Except the week of 16-20 as I will be in NC training dogs).
here is the chip in link.... http://bridgetbodine.chipin.com/dog-...-sandy-victims

THanks for looking!! and for donating!!! Will keep you posted here!
this is a short video of what happened in the target area.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_e4-ceFuMU

#78 ·
Dude!!! Haha funny tho! Prayers to all that have been affected.

#80 ·
The pet food drive has been OVERWHELMING!!! WE have raised more than two tons of pet food. The great news is my distributer , http://www.zeiglersdist.com/ and the manufacturer , http://www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/nutrisource/, have each knocked $1 per bag off of the purchase price of 5 # bags of grain free chicken and of grain free beef. This will be about 400 bags of dog food per ton. By talking to people that are distributing the necessities, they said we can reach more and waste less by getting smaller bags. ( though I may get some 18# bags also) and the remainder will be for Friskies Cat food. Once I get my bill of lading I will give a complete breakdown. I cannot THANK everyone across the country for you generous donations, enough. There really are not enough words.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.