The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: dog food feeding guide question

Default dog food feeding guide question

So i made the switch from Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy to Victor Super Premium Performance (30/20) and i have a few questions. First off i was feeding off the guide on Eukanuba so my 7 month old 70 lb male CLM was eating 5.5 cups a day. Now that i'm feeding victor he is to eat 3.5 cups a day. I know that the protein and fat levels are different (Euk. 26/14 Victor 30/20) as well as Victor having less "filler" (corn soy and wheat free) so will he fill the same amount of "fullness" from getting less food but more nutrients? Or will he be hungry but nutritionally be getting all he needs? Should i gradually work my way down to 3.5 cups or just start it at that?

I will say the kibble is a bit smaller than Euk. The victor kibble is about a centimeter in diameter so he is getting more individual kibbles not that makes any difference since i'm still using the same measuring cup

"great taste. less filling" regards

I think your over thinking this. Just feed 1.5 cusp AM and 2 cups PM and he should do just fine. The amount on the bag is just a general guide so it will take a while to see if 3.5 cups daily is enough or to much. A lot depends on his exercise amount this winter.

More than anything I would watch out for PANO in the front legs with a higher protein/fat food, he may grow faster. I like to keep them on a 24/14 food till well over 12 months old maybe 18 months for large males. My food choice is Canidae All Life Stage.
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

One thing I found interesting is that Victor High Pro 3/20 has 425 kcal ME per cup. Where Eukanuba Large Breed puppy is 337 kcal ME per cup. Canidae All Life Stage 24/14 is 468 kcal ME per cup. http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

Interesting. I didn't know what pano was till I googled it. The site I was on said cause was unknown even though they have been doing research since the 50's on it. One study thought it was a virus since dogs who didn't have it when injected with it developed it. Another study showed it could come from the distemper vaccine. And another study said like you fat and protein levels. All of them suggested it occurs in large breed dogs 6-18 months and usually males.

The victor formula I am using is a puppy formula but I'll keep an eye out for it though. I've familiarized myself with the symptoms

Last night was his first meal on it. He inhaled it ( downside of small kibble) and stool was fine this morning. I told the wife yesterday that we were going to do the 1.5 in the AM ( she feeds in AM) and 2 in PM routine.

Did you slowly change him over to it? I know, off topic from what you were asking in your original post. But, if you just "made the switch" you're likely in for a mess.... literally.
    Tim McGarry Jr
    AKC Retriever Hunt Test Judge # 95104

No went straight to it last night. He's loving it and I'm probably going to have to buy a slow eater bowl. It took him all of 3 mins to eat his 2 cups tonight. Including the 30 secs I pulled him away so he wouldn't choke on it. He was fighting to get back to the bowl though. Stools this AM, noon, and PM were fine nothing different. Wife says he didn't have any room clearing gas like he usually has around mid day. I guess the corn and glutens that are in Euk. Attributed to that?

victor has digestive helping chelated minerals and probiotics where as Euk. Did not.