The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt test distance change for master

I don't run many hunt test anymore, I run mostly Field Trials, so I have no issue with longer marks, but I really don't see the point of it as far as testing hunting dogs. That said, a wing tipped bird that sails off and fall more than 150 yards away is fairly common where I hunt, I still don't see a need to test for it though. I stand by my long time assertion, that a MH titled or QAA retriever will make a very high level hunting dog. Those are the kind of dogs that make duck hunters who haven't seen that level before go, wow! It might just be me, but I feel the mission creep of MH standards over the last two decades is unneccesary. My first dog earned his MH title in 1996 and if he were alive today I would proudly hunt him with anybody anywhere. I really don't see why a MH title should be harder to attain today than it was back then.

John

There was a female judge in Central Florida who wasn't getting any assignments. She heard a rumor that it was because she had NEVER hunted. Instead of complaining, she sought a local club member to take her hunting and teach her how to hunt over decoys etc. She did that for 2-3 yrs and told me that experience was 10 times better than any judges test, seminar etc she had been to.
    Tom Dorroh

I have hunted flooded timber far more than open areas ..No 150 yard fall outs there that we could see....People need dogs to do different things in different parts of the country....The list of changes to the game didn't mention the use of bird being shot as the dog is going out to make a retrieve ....a mark in route so to speak..The last one of them I ran the judge told be it happened on the last hunt he went on ....all my dogs sat when the gun went off to watch it fall..I had to cast to pick up the fall of my choice....A real hunting set up but can't be used because judges and handlers get all hung up on how to judge it ...dog switched in route, use one of your allowed handles,dog pops....I believe we try to make this judging too hard ....Steve S

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    I have hunted flooded timber far more than open areas ..No 150 yard fall outs there that we could see....People need dogs to do different things in different parts of the country....The list of changes to the game didn't mention the use of bird being shot as the dog is going out to make a retrieve ....a mark in route so to speak..The last one of them I ran the judge told be it happened on the last hunt he went on ....all my dogs sat when the gun went off to watch it fall..I had to cast to pick up the fall of my choice....A real hunting set up but can't be used because judges and handlers get all hung up on how to judge it ...dog switched in route, use one of your allowed handles,dog pops....I believe we try to make this judging too hard ....Steve S
    Do the rules even support a mark on the way to a mark?
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Nope- in fact it is specifically prohibited. AKA the Tommy Fairchild rule.

The rule changes nothing. Judges have always routinely extend the distance to include a factor as desired and I see that practice continuing. Still becomes a time management decision.

Much ado about nothing in my opinion. Better to spend the time and energy getting rid of the other stupid stuff.

Sameosamo regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    To start with I was talking about the post that mentioned all the different things that have change ,like the category of nose....There has been a specific rule put in place to prohibit the bird ( mark ) I mentioned ...A typical hunting situation but no longer allowed ....Just like the category of nose...dropped because of judging I believe...All changes are neither good or bad , they come in a mixed bag......Steve S

Understood.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Nope- in fact it is specifically prohibited. AKA the Tommy Fairchild rule.

The rule changes nothing. Judges have always routinely extend the distance to include a factor as desired and I see that practice continuing. Still becomes a time management decision.

Much ado about nothing in my opinion. Better to spend the time and energy getting rid of the other stupid stuff.

Sameosamo regards

Bubba
    I agree. More important to know where you parked the beer truck...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by BlaineT View Post
    i wouldn't say NO reason...

hunt rice fields in Southeast Missouri on a real cold windy day with 30 mph cross winds and shoot a fast flying canvas back and watch him sail 200 yards across the field over a levee. happens all the time in hunting situations in the open fields.
    Improve your shooting.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Hopefully judges will use good common sense, factors and bird placement, rather than distance to create the required challenges for Master level dogs. I say this not because I'm in any way afraid of a 175 yard mark (cause that's what we're going to get), but rather because despite it being allowed, it's not a very realistic hunting scenario.
    Say you're the judge, Darrin. You don't have to set up the 150 or 175 yd. mark.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."