RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

The future of retriever clubs

18K views 71 replies 54 participants last post by  flatcoatfun 
#1 ·
It seems to me that, at least in the Northeast, many retriever clubs struggle with the same dilemma: How do we attract and retain new members?

I belong to three NE dog clubs and all of them are facing this issue. We have a core group of workers and organizers that put in a huge amount of hours and effort to put on great events. At times, new people come in, but they rarely stay for long. As a result we face cutting back on the number of events we host. We can't keep doing the same thing and expect things to change.

So I am asking myself "What are we doing wrong?" "What can we do differently?" "What do newcomers to the sport need to get hooked and hang around?" etc.

I am hoping that there are clubs out there that have come up with some fresh approaches to attracting and retaining new members that can share them with us. I am also looking for those of you that are newer to to the sport to tell me what a great club would provide for you, the member?

I have been involved in dog training all my life and with retrievers since 1996. My husband and I drag our kids to events all over New England, but we are the exception not the norm. What can our clubs do to survive among the competing priorities of everyday life?

Hoping for some great discussion!

Terry

See less See more
#37 ·
I look at retriever clubs two ways, there are retriever Clubs who's sole reason for existing is to host one or two field trials a year, and or hunt test, and there a clubs that are more geared to helping people train their dogs. When I started, the clubs I knew and was involved in did both and some still do. Presently the situation that works best for me is to be involved with a larger club in helping put on field trials and such, partake in the occasional Picnic Trials or other club days, but train on a daily or few times a week basis, with a smaller group of guys and gals who live nearby and have work hours that are compatable with mine. I also belong to a club that just puts on field trials.

I am somewhat mystified at the old pictures of twenty and thirty-somthings that were competitive running field trials in the sixties and seventies, it must have been a very different game back then.

John

#39 ·
I am somewhat mystified at the old pictures of twenty and thirty-somthings that were competitive running field trials in the sixties and seventies, it must have been a very different game back then. John
There were a few of us :). The thing I see is the absence of grounds to put a stake the size of those today. & the grounds to practice those tests. When I started Richard Wolters was some malcontent that showed at the Montana State trial in Butte panning FT's. Today those same HT people are competing for less grounds with the folks that run FT's, so we're trying to do more with less & that don't work. & those same grounds have become a bunch of 20 acre plots. MT had no pro's - how many headquarter there during at the least part of the year?

Also in those days there were a lot more folks supporting the trials who were not competitors, you rarely see those people today :(.

#40 ·
I can tell you from a guy that runs a large construction company, Flea Mkt, redi-mix concrete company, and a car auction on Monday nights and has two small kids son 3 and daughter 6 Ft's are tough! My daughter is ranked 3 in the mini-hunter division with her Pony and she rides against mostly 10-14 yr old girls (don't have a clue why she would be competitive) and this daddy don't miss many horse shows! I'm going to be stepping away from Ft's except maybe 4-6 trials a year if that. I'm not going to miss my kids growing up. There will be time for Ft's after they leave home and grow up. Having a young family and finding time to train let alone run trials is tough but I have been able to this point to sqeeze it all in but that is coming to a end. I will support my club thru out but my family is going to be my first priority and that is the reason I see it so difficult for young people to be involved in Ft's. I may go to my second Ht next year and just see what they are all about and let the kids run the dogs and see if they want to get involved.
Chad

#41 ·
I belong to 2 clubs presently. A FT club and a specialty breed club that was orginally founded by field people, so that is still a primary focus. In order to get and keep new members interested in the field aspect of our breed, we changed the way our training sessions were run. We split the session with the morning group being experienced dogs/handlers so that big setups could be done and dogs anywhere from SH to FT level could run them. Experienced members would help less experienced ones with how to run the set up. It gave everyone the opportunity to work on what they needed to and get trial like experience (our training sessions generally run between 35-50 dogs). The afternoon session was for new members, members with very young dogs or members who just want to pursue a JH or WC with their dogs. The emphasis was on teaching the dogs obedience, setting up simple marks and explaining how factors like wind, hills, cover, etc could affect the dog's marking, introducing the dogs to holding blinds, boats, decoys, gunners in the field, etc and teaching simple drills to help with marking and basic handling. The handlers also learned how to handle a shotgun, set up a winger, help a dog when needed and run the line. Running and working lists were made up and emailed to everyone several days prior to each session. Pre-registration was required to help with flyers and running orders. Everyone who ran a dog had to help out either in the field or on line.

This system has worked out very well. Our experienced members (many of whom had stopped coming) were getting to run their dogs instead of doing all the work. The new members did not feel overwhelmed or embarrassed by what they or their dogs did not know. Best of all, almost ALL of our new afternoon session members volunteered to work in some capacity at our HT. They felt comfortable working in the field and learned a lot by watching dogs run.

Dawn

#43 · (Edited)
As young newbie I want to be more involved but I am limited at this time. Hopefully in a few years I can do more. It is a huge drag though to bring one dog and sometimes two people to help and get stuck volunteering for hours for those people who have 2,3,4+ dogs who then do not always help because they are busy running so many dogs. I really like the idea of signing up to volunteer for x amount of time or x task. Being able to participate and help out but at a level that is appropriate to involvement.

#44 ·
The one thing you can do to build members and get them involved is to call newer members individually and ask them to train. Just hosting training days once a month, etc. ain't going to do it. It takes making someone feel wanted and welcome for most people to become involved. A lot of times newer people feel like they are an inconvenience to training groups because their dogs aren't to the same level. Have them run your dogs and help out developing theirs. Take a personal interest in the new ones that show some interest and get them hooked.

#54 ·
I agree.

Our club requires an existing member to sponsor new members when they join. I can't help but wonder if it would make sense for the existing member to assume that responsibility? I suspect a number of them already do that, but it'd be interesting if the process was a bit more formalized (i.e. "we haven't seen Joe and his pup in a few months...anybody heard from him?").

#46 ·
These clubs are for people chasing titles and ribbons not about having fun with the dogs.[/QUOTE]

I just want to disagree with this statement. I am a hunter also. But my biggest enjoyment comes from working with and watching the dogs do their work. And doing it proficiently. I hunt wit some guys like you speak of and wish they would leave their dogs at home. Ribbons and titles are a bonus.

#51 ·
I don't believe anything can be done to save Field Trials as we know them today. It's fast becoming a game of pay to play, single owners with large numbers of dogs trained by professionals, trials run mostly on professional's properties. Judging will go from bad to worse. In the not too distance future even the live gunners will have to be hired. For the few who remain and can afford it there will be fewer clubs and events to run. Not my idea of fun.

#52 · (Edited)
For myself I am an optimist
it does not seem to be much use being anything else.
-Winston Churchill

Make thngs happen. In the face of challenges, overcome them and succeed.

Things a club can do.

1. Advertise your club. Think of all the registered Labradors in North America. Get a conversation going with a person looking to buy a dog. Place the ad for the club in the pet section of the news paper. It might read. "Are you looking for a working dog? Before you buy call our club repesentative."

2. If you are a Field Trialer or Hunt Test person bring the perspective buyer up to speed on what the these trained dogs can do. Demonstrate your dog with some drills.

3. Look for opportunities to demonstrate at fairs or sportman shows what talent and skill the dogs possess.

4. Call the new members out to the one on one or small sessions and work on keeping it simple.

5. Demographics and the growing number of baby boomers with time on their hands presents an opportunity trial and hunt test clubs to tap into. The added bonus is the baby boomers are mature and patient with a good chance the last of their adult children will have likely left the house. After all the youngest is by now age 32.

6. The older demographic have resources and time. What they lack in energy and speed they more than make up for with good judgement and a steady hand.

7. In many newspapers there is a lifestyle sectionthis goes for radio and television. There is an opportunity for the professional writer to publish articles about the great recreational activity of field sport competition dogs. It may be incumbent upon the publishers of Retriever News and/or Retriver Journal to submit an article or make available a guest to talk about our sport.

8. Lastly regarding what to do and this will be hard for the hunter/trialer with an accomplished dog to act on is, take an aquaintance out to a trial or a hunt test even to the duck blind or on an upland hunt. You just may spark an interest that grows to a passion. At the least you will have one other person who could potentionally refer a person who would be mad keen to work with dogs.

9. Focus and enjoy working with your dogs. The real reward is advancing/progressing your dog. The ribbons will come if you do the work. One pro on the west coast shared a thought with me that the certifcate paper from the AKC stating the dog he trained had become a Field Champion seemed so in-consequential to all the training and trials he had done with the dog.

#53 ·
Well said Ironwood! Those are all great ideas.

One of our clubs does several demos thru the year and personally we have worked with VT Fish & Wildlife to do demos at conservation camps for years. We also include a retriever demo in the hunter's safety classes we teach.

For the last puppy I registered the AKC sent a letter outlining local dog clubs that do breed, obedience, agility etc. Our AKC member retriever club was not on the list. Hmmm...

I think outreach in any form is important to promote our sport.

#55 ·
"It also is hard for newcomers as the old timers do not always want to give up the power, or even be open to mew ideas. I am not sure how many times I have heard tradition as a reason why a suggestion would not work. You hear enough of that and it does not take much to say forget it "

I agree with you Zman1001

#56 · (Edited)
Before I say ANYTHING I want to thank all the great people in the local area here who make NJ, DE, MD the retriever mecca that it really is. I don't know of anywhere else you can run as many events within 3 hours of home as here. This is because of people who are generous with their time, expertise and great grounds. Thank all of you.

I don't have all the answers to this and maybe I have none but as an old marketing guy whose trained to find and retain new customer, I think each club has to look at the services they offer compared against the needs of the audience(s).

What I mean there is...

Look at people who have dogs in your area and do more with them than pet them on the couch.

Have a look at obedience clubs, agility clubs, waterfowl hunters and so forth. Host a training day and invite members of these other clubs to come out, even if they don't have a retriever. We all have a lot to learn from each other so partnering to an extent with a schutzund, obedience or agility club gives you people interested in competing with dogs that might become interested in what we do. We might have people interested in their venue also, in the dead of winter obedience and agility events PACK a local horse arena nearby me with hundreds of participants.

This weekend in my area is a great example. There's a HUGE hunting test going on. Fall weather in the 50's. It's going to be a great weekend, but how many of our local obedience, agility and schutzund competitors know it's going on? Very few I'll bet.

If we would get 2 or 3 people who happen to be in the area to come by and just have a look at what these amazing dogs can do, they may be back.

Exchanging email lists with those clubs or notifying their leadership for distribution might attract some interested people.

No one has additional time for this outreach type work, which is understandable given the work the existing board members are already putting in. Maybe the club could use someone whose sole job it is to recruit and retain new members? Someone who has the knowledge to extend the clubs reach into social media and establish some connections to other clubs locally?

Who knows if it would be worth the effort, but you won't find or retain new members without focusing on the issue and getting the expertise and effort in place to make it happen.

#57 ·
I dont chime in often, but being a newcomer to the sport i figured why not. I bought a pup almost 2 years ago because I wanted a hunting dog. Not just a dog that could pick up a duck, but I wanted the nicest dog at the boat ramp on any given morning. So I looked up reputable breeders, spent time researching dogs, and titles. Because at the time I had no clue what FC/AFC, QAA, or MH meant but I wanted to learn. So I bought the dog and purchased Lardy's training DVDs. After watching the first few sessions I quickly learned that I would need some help along the way, or I was just going to need to give up. So I began looking for like minded people, that had knowledge of the sport and were willing to help me. I trained by myself for over a year before I got into a training club. I started posting on a forum that I was looking for people to train with, I offered to come throw birds or plant blinds for anyone that would respond. Sadly I never got a reply to my first post, So I started another one saying the same thing, hoping that it just got missed by the people that I was trying to reach. Eventually a couple of people read my post and contacted me. Since then I regularly train with one (almost on a daily basis). Another guy contacted me about the NAHRC and mentioned that his club would be hosting a training day (which happened to be less than 5 miles from my house),so I attended my first group training effort with a 13 month old that had been trained entirely by one person, without any bird boys, zinger wingers, bumper boys, or any other training aid. Since that day I have become good friends with several members of the club, and attend regularly the training days hosted by the club. My pup is now 21 months old, just finished running derbies, we never had any success by most of the people on here's measure, but for a first time trainer that started with 1 dvd I feel that I have accomplished something for myself.
I said all of that to show that it can take some time to track down these club members and clubs. The effort taken to get into one of these training groups can sometimes outweigh the perceived reward. People that are getting into these types of animals should have easy access to clubs for their region, and more so local contacts that they can reach out to. The internet is great but you can’t get the impression you are welcome as easily over the internet as you can if you can hear someone’s voice, so phone numbers should be included for people willing to be contacted by “new comers”. Its hard to say what can keep these people around, since life sometimes gets in the way. And you either get bit by a bug or you don’t.

#58 ·
Danny Farmer has a saying: You can't talk someone into Field Trials. And once they get in, you can't talk them out of it.

It is something you want to do, or don't. Like Steve Shaver wrote, some dogs have that desire, others don't. I am relatively new to the sport, and began in 1999.

Since then, I have seen lots of people come, wanting to set the world on fire.

Most of them are gone. Not because anyone stepped on them.

But, rather because if you want to compete and win, it takes a great dog, time, money, training grounds, and training partners. It is hard. But, those who remain are those who want that challenge and revel in it.

#59 ·
But, those who remain are those who want that challenge and revel in it.
Or we are just stupid? I've often question my sanity, not only from a practical stand point but from the looming commitments just around the corner (my judging assignments, club FT to put on with no firm grounds lined up and a judge to be replaced, and trying to get in some training time).....there are only so many hours in a given day, only some much energy to expend...our club is shrinking fast and we have tried all sorts of things to get and keep membership up....I swear I have a couple screws loose....I threaten my dogs every day that I'm going to trade them in for goldfish....

#62 ·
I have been a member of 3 clubs almost 20 years now. The questions and comments in this thread haven't changed from 20 years ago. At the end of the day people do what they want to do. At the same time people have to find value in the club. That is unique to each person. From a pure training perspective, club days don't offer me much. I can use my grounds to put better tests together and run a string of dogs in half the time and get more out of it. However for me I stay and participate in clubs because I love dogs and I love helping people with their dogs. One club I'm in is a pure upland hunting dog club with both flushing and pointing dogs. Nothing they do is remotely close to HT/FT work. Yet I go every month I can because I enjoy helping people with gundog basics. They key to success is finding ways for people to have fun and find value. Not an easy task for any club

/Paul

#63 ·
There needs to be conscious attempts to bring minorities into this sport. Like it or not, US demographics are changing.

There needs to be focused recruitment of non-bird hunters into this sport too.

#65 ·
We started to talk about this topic while out training this morning. This is my opinion and without condeming anyone which would be easy to do these are my comments.
One concern discussed was the ability to help the newcomer if there was an issue with his/her dog when he came out for the club fun day.
If the issue was not taken care of because of time or whatever the newcomer left feeling as if they had not accomplished much. Maybe they thought their dog was not any good or maybe they felt no better than when they started that morning. To them, they learned nothing. I have experienced those feelings!
True or not newcomers expectations may not be what clubs are expecting of them.
Maybe if one person were designated at the fun match, helped correct the problem (by simplifying or?) and told them one thing to work on, maybe it could be better experience for them. They could leave taking ownership or leave feeling better about the experience.
I vividly can remember back seven or 8 years ago how difficult, it was to fit in.
I believe the statement one fellow made you have to have a good dog. Might even be a good black dog!
So often, people show up, totally uninformed, think their dog is going out there to do what all those other dogs are doing. They do not realize the work involved.
I know I did not know what was expected! I can tell you owning HR Blackie I sometimes wonder why I am still marching along. We went down the wrong garden path repeatedly. It was costly both money wise, on the dog and myself. It was also bad for the dog.
I can also tell you I have seen much that did not impress me. I have had many comments made to me that were enough to put you off. I am persistence, do love my dogs and the sport and here I am.
Then you get somebody who does want to help but really with too much information overloading you. When you go home, you are thinking what was that he said.
As a newcomer, you have to be prepared to sift through what info you have received.
Move on each time with the information even if it is baby steps but be persistent.
Get your questions answered-if you do not; keep asking.
Do not be afraid to make a mistake that is how you learn. Take constructive criticism!
You have to be prepared to work long hours, poor weather and help wherever you can.
Work with your dog because it takes many hours; maybe a couple dogs for you to be comfortable with the process, terminology and actual running of your dog.
Best experience was this summer training those days with Al Arthur. Just sat and watched all day. Asked questions, assisted and ran my dog- so valuable. Gained understanding that I might not have gotten otherwise. Got opportunities that might not have come along. I recommend to newcomers to go for the day training with an experienced pro or person. Watch and learn!
You have to be persistent!
Those DVDs out now are a great help to explain but there is nothing like doing!! And that is if you really want to. Your attitude is number one and that is with anything in life.

#67 ·
We started to talk about this topic while out training this morning. This is my opinion and without condeming anyone which would be easy to do these are my comments.
One concern discussed was the ability to help the newcomer if there was an issue with his/her dog when he came out for the club fun day.
If the issue was not taken care of because of time or whatever the newcomer left feeling as if they had not accomplished much. Maybe they thought their dog was not any good or maybe they felt no better than when they started that morning. To them, they learned nothing. I have experienced those feelings!
True or not newcomers expectations may not be what clubs are expecting of them.
Maybe if one person were designated at the fun match, helped correct the problem (by simplifying or?) and told them one thing to work on, maybe it could be better experience for them. They could leave taking ownership or leave feeling better about the experience.
I vividly can remember back seven or 8 years ago how difficult, it was to fit in.
I believe the statement one fellow made you have to have a good dog. Might even be a good black dog!
So often, people show up, totally uninformed, think their dog is going out there to do what all those other dogs are doing. They do not realize the work involved.
I know I did not know what was expected! I can tell you owning HR Blackie I sometimes wonder why I am still marching along. We went down the wrong garden path repeatedly. It was costly both money wise, on the dog and myself. It was also bad for the dog.
I can also tell you I have seen much that did not impress me. I have had many comments made to me that were enough to put you off. I am persistence, do love my dogs and the sport and here I am.
Then you get somebody who does want to help but really with too much information overloading you. When you go home, you are thinking what was that he said.
As a newcomer, you have to be prepared to sift through what info you have received.
Move on each time with the information even if it is baby steps but be persistent.
Get your questions answered-if you do not; keep asking.
Do not be afraid to make a mistake that is how you learn. Take constructive criticism!
You have to be prepared to work long hours, poor weather and help wherever you can.
Work with your dog because it takes many hours; maybe a couple dogs for you to be comfortable with the process, terminology and actual running of your dog.
Best experience was this summer training those days with Al Arthur. Just sat and watched all day. Asked questions, assisted and ran my dog- so valuable. Gained understanding that I might not have gotten otherwise. Got opportunities that might not have come along. I recommend to newcomers to go for the day training with an experienced pro or person. Watch and learn!
You have to be persistent!
Those DVDs out now are a great help to explain but there is nothing like doing!! And that is if you really want to. Your attitude is number one and that is with anything in life.
I agree with many of your points which is why I stress educating new members. I too remember showing up at a Club training session and having absolutely no clue about what we were about to experience (what do I need to bring, how long will it take, how do I throw a bumper or operate a winger). I haven't been playing these games very long (5 years), so when I became Secretary of BCRC and began serving on committees, the New hadn't wore off. I made a very conscious effort to provide potential and New members with as much information as possible (training programs, supply vendors, what to to expect at a Club training session). The folks who were committed to putting a working title on their dog outlasted Joe Hunter every time especially when New folks were told the Club training session could be 6 or more hours of their weekend. That is another reason why I encourage New folks to utilize the membership list and connect with folks in their area, but as many of us find out, those smaller cliques already have enough folks in their groups. However, I still believe the Club training sessions to be valuable and inspirational if you have a mix of beginner and advanced and a competent/compassionate leader for the group.

One point that I find Newbs getting hung up on or resistant too is being advised to follow a dedicated retriever training program. It seems some feel their $30 membership fee includes the training of their dog. This isn't the case of course and why pro's are in business. The Retriever Club can however aid in making connections with folks who can assist you in learning the mechanics of running a dog and the training process. I was very fortunate when I started, I had a good dog and folks close by willing to help me learn for the cost of a few nights per week throwing birds.

The time commitment is tremendous if you want to train a competitive dog, and I see the most commitment from those with competitive spirits and those who just love doing activities with their dogs. Retriever Fever seems to be one of things you are all in or not. I did some agility with my dogs but it didn't hook me like HT's and Trials.

Again on the education theme, seminars; handling, judging, e-collar conditioning, etc. These are a draw and encourage retention. Who steps up to Chair these events? Probably one of the 10%'s who already has a full plate.

Mentoring: I'm one of those sappy folks who believes in paying it forward and giving back. The most frustrating thing I've encountered in mentoring is folks who don't do their homework. If you can't or won't, that's what Pro's are for.

First time working an EVENT: Being understaffed at a HT or FT seems to be the norm, unfortunately for the Newbie, they don't know that, and whom ever is in charge of the workforce needs to convey that to the individual, as well as praising and thanking the heck to them. I wish all Clubs had the ability to rotate and spell the workforce, unfortunately it's not the norm and it's a blessing when someone in the gallery steps up to help.

Promoting via Social Media: Three years ago BCRC went almost an entire year with no Web Master to manage the site. I stepped up to at least do a Facebook page. The venue has worked well and makes us easy to find and refer folks to. It's easy to say, "do a search on Facebook for Black Creek Retriever Club". Facebook has been great for hosting our Club event pictures, training articles, meetings etc. As well as providing a direct link to our website with contact information.

What do Folks Want?: I believe that is a valid question for a Membership application. As is, How may we help you succeed? And, How will you Help US succeed in our Mission statement? Accepting a $25-35 membership fee helps pay the bills for sure, but who can you rely on for those one or two AKC events per year?

We really are a small community in the grand scheme of life, and if we desire to maintain support groups for our addiction, we will find a way. The flip side of that is if we don't and Retriever Clubs die, that opens the door to privatization.

#66 ·
I have sat here and read this whole thread and I have a couple of comments.

As a younger member of our club, I'm 40, I don't see the older members as wanting to hold onto the power. But rather they know if they don't do the job no one else will. I joined OVRC 4 years ago. Became a board member 3 years ago. And became the president for the last 2 years. Most of the older (experienced) members have offered their advice anytime I ask. But very rarely do they tell me what to do. I may get told that "we've tried it in the past, but go ahead" when I have a new idea. Either way I have always felt welcomed.

In regards to attracting new members. Our club has done special training days at a local hunt club where we did not run our dogs. We advertised it. We had many hunters show up with dogs that couldn't find a food dish let alone a bird. We broke down into groups to work with them on an individual level. And at the end of the day we ended up with 3 new members all of which who are still ACTIVE members of the club. Another guy joined an HRC club and is a very active member there. It took a day out of our clubs training, but we did it to better the club, better our sport and hopefully better the dogs. We also went to a waterfowl show this past summer. 5 new members--- wll they stay? I don't know but I know 2 of them are looking like good members so far.

Keeping new members. One of the biggest complaints from members hear is that they get nothing out of a training day. You show up get to run maybe 2 set ups and spend the whole day there doing it. Where if I was by myself I could go out run 4 setups and be home by noon. And my dogs would get more out of it. I personally go to training days for the atmosphere so my dogs think they are at a test and I like to run last. Clubs need to keep new members entertained and help them out. If you don't why should they be there. Hire workers fr the training day. We charge $3 per club dog at a training day to help defray costs. NO non club dogs (client dogs) at our training days. Have lunch- bring a grill make it a fun training day. Does OVRC do this everytime-- NO but we are trying new things.

Hunt Tests: Last year I believe we did one of the best things we could do for members at our HT. Hired ALL workers for out in the field. Club mebers still do the marshalling, gunning of fliers and equipment stuff, but the people in the field are not members. They are paid. This has helped tremendiously with atitudes at the tests. If you can afford it- do it.

In regards to age: I am 40 with a wife and 3 children- 15,13, and 9. I have 2 jobs, coach baseball in the spring, I've chaired 3 of the last 4 HT and as I said I am the president of our club (for this year anyway). Time for me is at a premimum. I love his sport I love waching dogs do their thing and I love seeing when all of your hard work pays off and the light bulb comes on and the dog understands. That is why I do it. That is why I am an active part of the club. Its not about me, its about the sport and the dogs. As for my family and involvement. Ty my 9 yr old ran his first HT this past June (see below). Abby, 15 is getting her own dog to train in Febuary. My wife took Rose and made her into a couch dog. Jessie, 13 is my bird girl and OB trainer.
Plant Jungle Leaf Botany Adaptation
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed
Grass Plant Farmworker Crop Adaptation

Attachments

#68 ·
Reading most responses, I note that we all know what the problems are, but seem to lack the ability to deal with them.
Most new people to our sport can only train their dogs on weekends or in the evenings. Most of our experienced Field trial folks are retired. They train during the day and hit the trial circuit for most of the summer. We, as a commumity, must perhaps make some adjustments in our training schedules, to accomodate the new people in our sport. This just might Help!!

Throughout North America, the people who work extremely hard at their local trials, are not always the Field Trial Keeners. They dedicate their time and their energy to Marshall, to Judge, to Cook and to make their trial a success and to support our great sport. Yet I have witnessed, on many occasions, where the Field trial elite, criticize the tests, the judgment of their dogs and the amateur like way a trial was run. This shamefull attitude does nothing to enhance our sport, it only serves to dishearten those who are being criticized and to turn them off of a sport they thought was understanding, thoughful and yes, FUN.
We should all take a long look in the mirror and recount the number of times we have done these very things. We say we do them for the betterment of the sport, when, in fact, we do them for our own desire to be smarter and more WISE than the other guy.
I have witnessed on many occasions the experienced trialer talking to the newer folks. Most of the time the conversations are providing helpfull advise and council, but all to often the conversations relate to picking at another another Field trialer or a Judge or a Test. This must really appeal to the new person in the sport, who is looking for, not only help, but comaraderie and a family of like enthusiasts. I myself have fallen victim to my own pettiness and I will make an effort to STOP IT.

Imagine the 1st time you had gone golfing and the mentors and wise ones you were golfing with, ridiculed your BEST EFFORTS. You would really want to get right back to it!! NOT LIKELY

Attitude is key. It can be positve or negative. It is really up to you. Now take that hard look in the mirror!!!!!!!

#69 ·
Another observation for consideration. Those who originally started the clubs, nurtured it and brought in and helped novices train their dogs are all of a sudden 'old fogies', don't know anything and are dragging their feet into what the newbies think is the only way to go. They have changed the original concept of the club and push out the charter members. Very soon those who love and work the sport give up and let the newbies have it and down goes the club. Guess who gets the blame. Not the only reason for the decline but sure is a good one to think about. I know, I am one of those old fogies and tired of fighting a losing cause. (I'm outnumbered)

#70 ·
AMEN Miss Cleo!!

#71 ·
Another thing that I think keeps new people away is getting whacked in the first series. I have seen a good number of minor stakes whack 50 to 75% of the dogs in the first series. Sometimes its because the judges want to get done because they have to judge another stake and are pressed for time.
A lot of times it's not about which dog does the best job it's about which dog can do the test period. The open is one thing but I dont think this should happen in the derby or qual. Pretty discouraging to new people. I have even seen this happen in DQ's that are trying to attract cross overs form hunt tests.
I have seen derbies and quals both where only 1 or two dogs finish the trial. No second thrid or fourth place not to mention jams

#72 ·
This has been an awesome discussion!

I am a member of many clubs from obedience, to breed clubs to field. They all have the same problems.

Solutions -
Communication - communication - communication
It seems that the new members apprciate and thrive on the more information I can give.

-- nametags for everyone at teaching days
-- "teaching days" (instead of calling them training days)
-- maps of the property so new people don't get lost trying to find where they are going
-- RSVP for training days (not required but appreciated and this has helped planning tremendously)
-- an agenda of what drills and set ups will be offered sent out in advance of each "teaching day"
--plan the dates of teaching days and events a year in advance if possible
-- facebook and web site keep updated and active
--Recruit "chairs" for different areas of responsibility (equipment, hospitality, marshals, training days) - and then encourage and help them to recruit their committee members this takes work! But it has paid off greatly for our club. Several of our chairs were very new to the club - but with the help and support of the experienced - they have really jumped in and have done a fantastic job.
--I have to say that one of the things that helped our club the most - was bringing back a previous president who is also one of our landowners, he suprised us all by announcing at the annual meeting that his property would be available to all members to train on at any time - provided that they volunteer at one event per year. I'll tell ya - that first mock test we held the next month - I had volunteers lined up 2-3 deep - which was also great that people did not have to work all day, and they could run their dogs.
--also identify volunteers with talent and interests and put them to work. One lady creates maps for a living - so she does maps for us. Finally after several years of looking - a new member said he had some web building skills - and man he has done an incredible job on our web site.

Our club also had to face the reality that though we are an HRC club "for hunters, by hunters" the club member majority are people who Don't hunt and just want a title on their dog. We were not getting enough entries in our HT, so we switched to a one day Mock Test - and made more money and more people raved about that is what they needed - ability to practice in a HT like setting. Our Teaching days have gone from doing one big set up - where you stayed all day to run your dog once - to multiple areas for different levels- people love it. Then 2x a year we are holding a big Mock Test, and 1 x per year we are holding a HT.

So in summary - communication -
and Support new volunteers - if they don't work in one job, find a different one and give them lots of support until they are successful

Thanks
Alison

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.