The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GM, Chrysler tell Romney he's wrong about Chinese jobs claim

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Thanks, "MEATHEAD!!"

What a great show!!! A hippie and a redneck could sit side by side on the couch drinkin' beer and cheer for their guy and ridicule the other guy and both have fun!! And both thought they were the winner!

When did animosity begin to turn to hate?

"Those were the days" regards,

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American, though it may be too little too late now.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

When I watched that show as a kid, Archie always reminded me of my grandfather. Hard around the edges, but he always made sense. The son in law was a loser liberal, like a lot of young guys. Luckily most out grow their liberal ways. I'm luckier than most because my 23 year old son is not a liberal.

Terri

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Struck a nerve, eh?
    Nope! Not what this thread is about.
    Sarge

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I can't find the article I was reading, but yesterday I read a statement from Marchionne that Fiat now owns 55% of Chrysler while the UAW owns 45%. I don't know if that is correct because I don't believe that the US has sold it's share, maybe it has. Marchionne stated that the origional intent was for Fiat to buy more of Chrysler, but they are now content to leave the UAW with it's ownership stake because Fiat doesn't have the cash to follow through because of the tanking auto sales in Europe. Below is a NYT article on Chryslers most recent results. It seems that the bail out of Chrysler has worked out in spades...
    Buzz, last I saw Fiat now owns 58.5% of Chrysler, for the life of me I don't know how you can say the bail out worked out in spades...., sounds like a complete flop to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Buzz, last I saw Fiat now owns 58.5% of Chrysler, for the life of me I don't know how you can say the bail out worked out in spades...., sounds like a complete flop to me.

The US has been paid in full for Chrysler's bail out. From what I saw, 45% of the company is owned by it's US workers. Fiat says they will not be looking to buy more of the company. If you followed things closely at the time, Fiat was the only suitor that could be found to take a stake in the company. Millions of jobs were saved, millions were kept off of unemployment, welfare, food stamps, and medicaid. Millions of families who could have lost everything did not. An entire industry was saved and a state may have been kept from dire dire consequences. If you don't see the upside there, then there is literally nothing I can ever say that can change your mind.
    Last edited by Buzz; 11-01-2012 at 12:07 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The US has been paid in full for Chrysler's bail out. From what I saw, 45% of the company is owned by DA UNION. Fiat says they will not be looking to buy more of the company. If you followed things closely at the time, Fiat was the only suitor that could be found to take a stake in the company. Millions of UNION jobs were saved, millions were kept off of unemployment, welfare, food stamps, and medicaid. Millions of families who could have lost everything did not. An entire industry was saved and a state may have been kept from dire dire consequences. If you don't see the upside there, then there is literally nothing I can ever say that can change your mind.
    Fixed it for ya!!!!

If you were not in the UAW, you got screwed!
    Stan b & Elvis

Fixed it for ya!!!!

If you were not in the UAW, you got screwed!
    The stock is not directly owned by the UAW. It is invested in a trust to cover the health and pensions. The trust is controlled by an independent board and none of the proceeds are accessible to the UAW's general fund.

Union jobs are jobs. If those workers had been put out on the street, then the the government would have been swamped by associated cost and loss of tax revenue. There would have been a massive social cost to the families and communities. The economy might have seen some sort of recovery toward the end of the century. Then a manufacturing nation like China and India would be at the top of the heap.

As part of the "bailout" the Union took some big hits on pay and benefits. They recognized the state of the companies and the nation. They did what their mission is: Save as many jobs as possible.
    Sarge

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    The stock is not directly owned by the UAW. It is invested in a trust to cover the health and pensions. The trust is controlled by an independent board and none of the proceeds are accessible to the UAW's general fund.

Union jobs are jobs. If those workers had been put out on the street, then the the government would have been swamped by associated cost and loss of tax revenue. There would have been a massive social cost to the families and communities. The economy might have seen some sort of recovery toward the end of the century. Then a manufacturing nation like China and India would be at the top of the heap.

As part of the "bailout" the Union took some big hits on pay and benefits. They recognized the state of the companies and the nation. They did what their mission is: Save as many jobs as possible.
    The "non-union" people took an even BIGGER hit!!

Coincidence, eh?
    Stan b & Elvis

Coincidence, eh?
    The vast majority of folks I know at the autos are non-union, engineers and managers. They are quite happy to still be working.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Hometown: Rural Ames, IA. College: Maryville, MO

Coincidence, eh?
    I am curious as to what this big hit was... I do not know enough about the bailout's impact on non-union workers and am curious to see what you can dredge up, it a great point if there is substance to it. I would use it!
    Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.