The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Handle at a Hunt test

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shafer View Post
    Chris

Any idea which rule book says that ??????

Thank you
    The HRC rulebook says that.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    The HRC rulebook says that.
    ...but don't try it at the Grand.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    ...but don't try it at the Grand.
    Ha ha...that's true.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Chris

Thank you
    It would be unfair for me to even touch the AKC HT rulebook. I've never participated in anything but AKC Derby, Qual, AM and Open. I have never done an AKC hunt test.

I've put a good bit of my time into NAHRA and HRC:

Here is one...and I was wrong, the term is "A crisp cast is preferable to a long hunt" NAHRA Rulebook.

http://www.nahra.org/images/stories/...ok033009-1.pdf section 5.

Here is a second one.... "
    a clean handle ispreferable to an extended hunt.
    II. " http://www.ukcdogs.com/res/pdf/2011HRRulebook.pdf page 40

again on page 50 (Finished)

"Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Chris

Thank you

The AKC FT Retriever Rule book in Part II Evaluation of Dog work - Natural Abilities says, ":.........Dogs which disturb cover unnecessary, clearly out of the area of the "fall"' either by not going directly to that area, or by leaving it, even though they eventually find the bird without being handled, should be penalized more severely than those handled quickly and obediently to it"

In my estimation this is tantamount to it saying, "A crisp handle is preferable to a long hunt".

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 11-01-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    The AKC FT Retriever Rule book in Part II Evaluation of Dog work - Natural Abilities says, ":.........Dogs which disturb cover unnecessary, clearly out of the area of the "fall"' either by not going directly to that area, or by leaving it, even though they eventually find the bird without being handled, should be penalized more severely than those handled quickly and obediently to it"

In my estimation this is tantamount to it saying, "A crisp handle is preferable to a long hunt".

john

Thank you John.

I knew it was in there somewhere, somehow addressed. I appreciate your sharing that.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Thank u all.........

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I've seen dogs handle and place...
    Ill one up ya, I've seen a dog handle and win....

General rule I have noticed (yes there will always be exceptions) - two handles at Senior level marks and don't expect to pass. At Master I don't know - yet...

Junior test - one handle on 4 marks (singles) could be enough to get a pass depending on handle and work on other 3 marks

Senior test - a singular handle on 1 double could be enough to get a pass depending on handle and work on other double and blinds. Handling on both doubles should not be passable work (unless there were some extreme conditions in which case a re-run(s) should have taken place).

Master - difficult to pass when one doesn't complete a clean triple. Possible to handle on 2 triples, run the 3rd triple very good and very good blinds and pass. 2 handles and 1 uglybutt hunt on the third (swallowed whistle) generally doesn't cut it (and shouldn't). Double handle in one series is going to cost points big time but could feasible pass if other work was immaculate I suppose.

Edit to add: I believe that Junior is the only stake that the AKC rulebook actually gives direction on the number of allowable handles (one). If you have to handle on more than that (50% or more), you should not pass. I know for sure that there is no listed maximum number of handles given/listed for Master.
    Last edited by stonybrook; 11-02-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN