The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Water in the Mideast

Default Water in the Mideast

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...uns-out-water/

Could some of the sabre-rattling going on in the ME have to do with the water shortages? Although the people may not realize the severity of the situation, there's a good chance that the leaders of these countries do. And those leaders would recognize that when the water shortages become severe enough, they could have a LOT of angry people beating at their doors. Militarism is a good way to keep attention directed at something else.

Israel provides the sole exception to this regional tale of woe. It too, as recently as the 1990s, suffered water shortages; but now, thanks to a combination of conservation, recycling, innovative agricultural techniques, and high-tech desalination, the country is awash in H2O (Israel’s Water Authority: “We have all the water we need”). I find particularly striking that Israel can desalinate about 17 liters of water for one U.S. penny; and that it recycles about five times more water than does second-ranked Spain.

G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...uns-out-water/

Could some of the sabre-rattling going on in the ME have to do with the water shortages? Although the people may not realize the severity of the situation, there's a good chance that the leaders of these countries do. And those leaders would recognize that when the water shortages become severe enough, they could have a LOT of angry people beating at their doors. Militarism is a good way to keep attention directed at something else.

You need better sources! Israel is NOT the only one.

Saudi Arabia has the most modern water facility in the ME, one that is solar powered and designed by M.I.T.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...-desalination/

California is looking at a very similar system.
    The freedom to discriminate is essential to personal Liberty. Life in a free country is about being free to make choices based on your own criteria rather then one mandate by the government...Libertarian blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    You need better sources! Israel is NOT the only one.

Saudi Arabia has the most modern water facility in the ME, one that is solar powered and designed by M.I.T.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...-desalination/

California is looking at a very similar system.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_s...n_Saudi_Arabia

This article I am citing is a bit out of date (2013), and I found another article on the new plant being built dated 2014.

However, even with the new plant, the Saudis may not have as much water as they need? Couldn't find details on that. And, it surely is possible that the Saudis are not as short as some of the other countries mentioned in the original article.

This article from 2013 indicates that may be why the Saudis built this new desalinization plant
    http://www.aawsat.net/2013/07/articl...ination-nation
    Dammam, Asharq Al-Awsat—Saudi Arabia is facing a water crisis. Despite the kingdom’s massive investments in desalination plants, demand is growing at a rate that threatens to outstrip supply, leading to the formulation of ambitious plans for the expansion of its desalination plants at a cost of tens of billions of dollars, amid calls from experts for urgent reforms of subsidies and water use.Saudi Arabia is considered among the poorest countries in the world in terms of natural renewable water resources. It is a desert country with little precipitation and no rivers or lakes, leaving it dependent on an extensive infrastructure of costly and energy-intensive water desalination plants. The state-owned Saline Water Conversion Corporation (SWCC) operates 36 stations on the east and west coasts of the country, mostly on the Red Sea coast.
    The kingdom is in urgent need of huge investments in order to address the annual increase in demand, which is among the highest in the world, coupled with the added strain of a population growth rate of more than 2.5%.
    Was also reading an article which mentioned that some desalinization plants end up increasing the salinity of the waters surrounding sea water ... though I didn't bookmark that article, so don't recall which location was mentioned.

The question I was asking, especially note Iran's problem, is whether this water shortage issue could be a reason why Iran is becoming even more militaristic? In fact, if the Saudis have more water than most of its neighbors, that could be a very good reason for Iran to have "designs" on weakening the Saudis' position in the area and getting control over the Saudi water?

Yes, I do support Israel's right to exist v. those who would rather they didn't exist. And, indeed, Israel has found ways to make its relatively small area far more advanced in agrilculture and modern conveniences, for its population at large, than its neighbors. They made the most of the land they have.

Perhaps the softening of relations between Israel and Saudis, Egypt & Jordan will be an very real asset to those Muslim countries beyond the present military benefits fighting against ISIS. That would be a very good thing for the region over the long term.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

The sabre rattling in the middle east is a rather large power struggle between Iran and Saudi Arabia. They are beating around a full war, but it coming to that seems entirely plausible. I think there may be a lot of smaller pseudo wars first, such as in Yemen. If Saudi Arabia is serious about rising up as the leading power in the middle east I would be much happier dealing with them then Iran. The developments have been enough to make me reconsider the wisdom of any deal with Iran. Of course it also makes me wonder if the purpose of the deal is to keep Iran away from a bomb for the purposes of an invasion. Either way I am reconsidering my position on it and with some great interest watching the actions of the Saudis.
    Ole and Sven are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Sven says, 'I think I'm gonna divorce my wife - she ain't spoke to me in over 2 months.' Ole sips his beer and says, 'Better think it over...women like that are hard to find.'

If Saudi Arabia is serious about rising up as the leading power in the middle east I would be much happier dealing with them then Iran. The developments have been enough to make me reconsider the wisdom of any deal with Iran. Of course it also makes me wonder if the purpose of the deal is to keep Iran away from a bomb for the purposes of an invasion. Either way I am reconsidering my position on it and with some great interest watching the actions of the Saudis.
    I would be quite surprised if Iran pretty much has a nuke; maybe just lacking enough enriched uranium or not enough for more than one weapon. So a deal predicated on keeping Iran from getting a nuke is really a waste. Even if we strike such a deal, I doubt we can trust Iran to abide by any rules established.

Agree, I also think it would be easier to deal with the Saudis. We've dealt with them for many years. Some of their hot-headed rich kids (like bin Laden) have been trouble, but nothing like the fomenting Iran has done in the region. The Saudis having friendly contact with the Israelis is really a major advance.

However, I do believe that Obama has made the Saudis question the US as an ally ... holding back Egypt's arms shipments & doing the same with Israel, and lack of NATO action in Ukraine.The Saudis may not be bosom buddies with Israel, but they surely notice when the US doesn't honor its alliances. It isn't easy to build trust, and it's real easy to lose it.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com