The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Pretenders in the College Football Top 15

Default Biggest Pretenders in the College Football Top 15

So polls drive me crazy. A few weeks ago Texas Tech beats the heck out of WV but in the polls they were 10 places higher the next day. The worst thing I think about them is that they make these random guesses a month before the season starts and that initial ranking impacts them all season long. I am from NC and a Georgia Tech Alumni but I admit that the ACC is awful. How is Florida St. #9 and Clemson #13. Clemson only wins against winning records is against Ball St. and a 4-4 Wake Forest team. Florida St. will end up winning the rest of their games until Florida St. and will end the year 10-2 but the only good win (against a team with a winning record) will be against Clemson but they will end up in the top 10. FSU would be a .500 team in the SEC and would lose 3-4 games in the PAC.

these are the 2 biggest pretenders in the top 15 I think. Anyone think there are any others?

I tend to look at the BCS rankings since they don't come out until October. I agree that the preseason ranking are bogus and that is why one always sees teams like USC and OU near the top. Once the season gets rolling is a much better indication.

In the BCS rankings; Oregon, Kansas St. are way over rated and so is Notre Dame. All three would be also rans in the SEC. They play in weak Conferences against weak competition. Pac 10; Sanford, USC, Oregon are the powerhouses, give me a freakin' break! Big 10; there is Ohio St and who else? Ditto for Kansas St in the Big 12!

SEC has four or five teams better than Oregon, Kansas St or Notre Dame. Just look at which Conference has dominated the first two rounds of the NFL draft over the last 20 years!

College Football rankings should be;

1 Bama (undefeated until this coming Saturday night)
    2 LSU (only loss is to Florida -SEC)
    3 Georgia (only loss is to S Carolina - SEC)
    4 Florida (only loss is to Georgia - SEC)
    5 Kansas St
    Last edited by Franco; 11-02-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

My hometown team of South Carolina... They lost Lattimore last week and they peaked against GA three weeks ago. LSU exposed their lack of offense. Although they are through the worst of it... The damage to the team psyche has been done by LSU and FL. They have a good team, but maybe not top 10.
    Bill Davis

as much as I hate to admit it, my Horns were a big, make that a HUGE pretender earlier in the year...if they were somehow able to go 2-2 the rest of the year to finish at 8-4, it would be the weakest 8-4 you have ever seen...they can easily go 0-4...which might get me a new coach
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Gig'em Aggies!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I tend to look at the BCS rankings since they don't come out until October. I agree that the preseason ranking are bogus and that is why one always sees teams like USC and OU near the top. Once the season gets rolling is a much better indication.

In the BCS rankings; Oregon, Kansas St. are way over rated and so is Notre Dame. All three would be also rans in the SEC. They play in weak Conferences against weak competition. Pac 10; Sanford, USC, Oregon are the powerhouses, give me a freakin' break! Big 10; there is Ohio St and who else? Ditto for Kansas St in the Big 12!

SEC has four or five teams better than Oregon, Kansas St or Notre Dame. Just look at which Conference has dominated the first two rounds of the NFL draft over the last 20 years!

5 Kansas St

Franco's annual kiss of death predictions.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

5 Kansas St
    Bama is going to get beat by a team that barely survived Auburn?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Demander View Post
    Absolutely hilarious. It's been a while since I saw three undefeated teams ranked in the top 5 all categorized as "overrated" this late in the season. The fix is in! All of the writers and coaches are conspiring! One has to wonder why the top 14 teams in both polls aren't all SEC teams! Surely a 1-8 Kentucky team is better than any of the aforementioned undefeated trifecta listed above. After all, 7 of their only 8 losses were against six SEC teams and Louisville (#12 AP poll / #10 Coaches poll). That's basically the same as being 8-1 on the season. Kinda makes Western Kentucky look like world-beaters in their own right!

Bama vs. LSU is a win/win. If Bama loses, we have another "former" undefeated team, shaking up the BCS rankings and paving the way for the Ducks, Wildcats, Irish and LSU to move up. If LSU loses, next week's edition of Franco's Rankings will remain unchanged, showing LSU at number 2 once again with the following in parenthesis: (only losses are to Florida AND Alabama - both SEC).
    I find nothing hilarious about my post. The difference between the level of ball played by the elite teams in the SEC compared to the others is the difference between night and day! Not even the Big 10 in their hayday won 6 NC's in a row.

If LSU were to lose to Bama, I would rank them #8 or #9, depending on what other teams do today.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Franco, don't you ever get tired of eating crow? Must be a Cajun delicacy.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Games are played on the field, all polls suck (including political), to many biases and agendas built in to the predictions.

Lot of football left, and they are just college kids, most likely there won't be but 1 or 2 undefeated teams left in a month.

And, I agree with Franco about the SEC being head and shoulders the best conference this year, BUT should Alabama lose today and Notre Dame and one other big conference team remain undefeated at season end, the SEC will be watching the National Champinship from the sidelines.

Don

KSU Fan
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.