The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to get a couple of new e-collars....need advice.

Has anyone used the Sportdog 2500? I like the tube style transmitter after fooling with the buttons of my last collar (Cabelas). Just seems like its a better deal than the TriTronics classic 70 or Field 90
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

Bump. Would really be interested in more feedback on the Sportdog 2500 vs the TT Classic 70 or Field 90. Thanks
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Matt- sorry, no experience here, but I'm looking forward to any answers to your question! I have always used TriTronics and have had great luck with them so just haven't felt the need to change.
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I have had the Sport Combo G3 for a few years and am very happy w/ it.
    Good to know, Anne! Thanks for your feedback! Do you have it set up as a multi-dog system?
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Matt, I have not used that particular model. I did own a Sportdog wetland hunter. Had to send back one collar that wouldn't turn on. Customer service was fast, efficient & friendly. Corrections at a distance seemed to be sporadic. One time a correction would get a yelp & good results, another time no reaction & no change in behavior. When I lost the transmitter, I bought a tt pro 500. Now I won't put another brand on my dogs.
    Mark Land

Thanks fishduck, thats the kind of responses i am interested in. I am having similar issues with correction at a distance consistency now
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Matt, I know you mentioned sticking with Tri Tronics... but you also mentioned using a smaller transmitter. I have 2 Dogtra ecollars in addition to my Tri Tronics Pro 500. The Dogtra collars have been flawless, the collars are pretty much the same as Tri Tronics'. The transmitters, though, are small, palm-sized units that have a lanyard on them. Very nice to have them hanging around your neck or tethered to a belt loop while in your pocket (whichever you prefer.) I like them a lot: the only reason I switched was to be compatible with my training group partners. Dogtra quality is comparable to Tri Tronics, whereas there are a lot of "stories" about the less expensive units. If the small unit is a priority, you might check it out.

OTOH, I found that the Pro 500 transmitter is easy to hold and store in the back pocket of my jeans when I'm not using it. It just took a little getting used to compared to the smaller Dogtra transmitter. The main difference is the adjustment of the stimulation dial.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Quote Originally Posted by Montview View Post
    Good to know, Anne! Thanks for your feedback! Do you have it set up as a multi-dog system?
    It's automatically set up to take mult collars (the red blue black dial is to select the collar) though I just have the one collar currently.
    See picture at http://www.cabelas.com/electronic-do...er=43600811471

I'm assuming if you buy 2 (or 3) collars, they do the matching for you there channel wise.
    Last edited by windycanyon; 11-08-2012 at 09:50 AM.

I have used the Sport Combo G3 for 5 years with one dog and 4 years with another. Just like someone else they get strapped on every day but I don't use the transmitter too much. I choose to run them with separate transmitters because they are not on the same settings. One dog is a soft touch and the other is hard headed and if I need to make a quick correction I don't want to mess with the settings or wrong dog.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.