RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Looking to get a couple of new e-collars....need advice.

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  PamK 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have searched and it looks like there are so many opinions about which e-collars are "the best."

I lost a couple of my used Tri-Tronics collars when my van was stolen. Also my TT remote releases for my Wingers, though I recovered 3 of my GU SOG wingers (sans electronics) when the van was recovered by the police.

One of my e-collars was a multi-dog system, the other just a single with a small remote that had a lanyard I could wear around my neck when not using it. I need to replace them (I hope to be reimbursed by insurance, but definitely don't need anything too high end as I don't ever see myself doing field trials or professional training ;) ).

I'd like to stick with Tri-Tronics.
Can anyone recommend (or does anyone have a used one for sale?) a single dog system with a remote that is small and easy to use? Mine was purchased here from someone used and I loved it. I believe it had an "80" in the name? It doesn't look like any of the newer systems on the TT site though.
Also- for multiple dog systems... which are your favorites?

My uses include hunt test training, duck/quail/pheasant hunting, anything that requires an "invisible leash" such as off-leash runs at the beach or in the countryside where my obedience commands (such as "HERE") may require reinforcement. I don't "burn" my dogs (in fact, my hardest-headed dog usually only requires corrections on a "2" low/medium on the TT remote) and in fact rarely use the e-collar but it's there in case required. I haven't ever used e-collars when training for competitive/traditional obedience or agility, etc....

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm thinking maybe the Sport Basic G3 as my everyday, easy-to-use unit? I just realized that the newer ones are expandable...cool! Thanks!

My bigger unit was a Pro 500 of some sort, I believe... but I rarely used it. I'm only 5'2" and have "kid sized" hands, so larger remotes are a little cumbersome for me to use.

#5 · (Edited)
I have a Sport Basic G3 and use it with two collars. My uses for the collar are very similar to yours, and this setup has worked great for me. The transmitter and collars are 2 or 3 years old, used almost every day (in the sense that I turn the collars on, strap them on the dogs, and carry the transmitter...but rarely need to actually press a button on the transmitter), and I've had no problems with anything.

#6 ·
I have a Flyway Special and a Pro 100. I do like the Pro 100 better with the low, med and high continuous.

#7 ·
I have the Pro500. I really like it except this one is the expandable version and I had to pin the toggle to the First position because at a crucial moment for a correction, I would sadly discover that the toggle had moved to either the blue or red position. That is the only down side of this collar.

#8 ·
I've got a few old collars I've ended up with you can send to Collar Clinic for refurb or credit. I have a Dogtra and TriTronics G2 that probably both just need battery replacement. You know how to get in touch :)

#9 ·
I have heard good things about the Sport Basic G3 from several people. The remote looks very similar to the one that I had on the "lesser" of the two systems I had in there. I Interesting about the Pro 500 with the toggle switch. That is what I had, but like I mentioned, I rarely used it... maybe once? It was just a lot "more" to do when I had the dogs out training. And those longer remotes did seem a bit more cumbersome in my hands. Easily gripped but more difficult to maneuver and I seemed to drop it a lot when taking ducks from dogs, etc. Yes, I'm a clutz sometimes. ;) LOL

Thanks so much, Paul... I'll be in touch!

#10 ·
I have had the Sport Combo G3 for a few years and am very happy w/ it.

I have heard good things about the Sport Basic G3 from several people. The remote looks very similar to the one that I had on the "lesser" of the two systems I had in there. I Interesting about the Pro 500 with the toggle switch. That is what I had, but like I mentioned, I rarely used it... maybe once? It was just a lot "more" to do when I had the dogs out training. And those longer remotes did seem a bit more cumbersome in my hands. Easily gripped but more difficult to maneuver and I seemed to drop it a lot when taking ducks from dogs, etc. Yes, I'm a clutz sometimes. ;) LOL

Thanks so much, Paul... I'll be in touch!

#13 ·
Matt- sorry, no experience here, but I'm looking forward to any answers to your question! I have always used TriTronics and have had great luck with them so just haven't felt the need to change.

#15 ·
Matt, I have not used that particular model. I did own a Sportdog wetland hunter. Had to send back one collar that wouldn't turn on. Customer service was fast, efficient & friendly. Corrections at a distance seemed to be sporadic. One time a correction would get a yelp & good results, another time no reaction & no change in behavior. When I lost the transmitter, I bought a tt pro 500. Now I won't put another brand on my dogs.

#17 ·
Matt, I know you mentioned sticking with Tri Tronics... but you also mentioned using a smaller transmitter. I have 2 Dogtra ecollars in addition to my Tri Tronics Pro 500. The Dogtra collars have been flawless, the collars are pretty much the same as Tri Tronics'. The transmitters, though, are small, palm-sized units that have a lanyard on them. Very nice to have them hanging around your neck or tethered to a belt loop while in your pocket (whichever you prefer.) I like them a lot: the only reason I switched was to be compatible with my training group partners. Dogtra quality is comparable to Tri Tronics, whereas there are a lot of "stories" about the less expensive units. If the small unit is a priority, you might check it out.

OTOH, I found that the Pro 500 transmitter is easy to hold and store in the back pocket of my jeans when I'm not using it. It just took a little getting used to compared to the smaller Dogtra transmitter. The main difference is the adjustment of the stimulation dial.

#19 ·
I have used the Sport Combo G3 for 5 years with one dog and 4 years with another. Just like someone else they get strapped on every day but I don't use the transmitter too much. I choose to run them with separate transmitters because they are not on the same settings. One dog is a soft touch and the other is hard headed and if I need to make a quick correction I don't want to mess with the settings or wrong dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.