The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating dead animals

Yeah... I caught him wandering toward a carcass two weeks ago. Lucky for me I was close enough and he listened. Windows down!!! LOL

All of our dogs need to be proofed on obedience and gradually learn to obey in the face of distraction.

For your dog, a temptation is to eat carrion. I don't think you realize how lucky you are! Some dogs think it is just awesome to flop down, roll on their back and "break-dance" all over dead, rotten stuff. I'd rather have a dog eat some of that stuff than totally coat himself.

Anyhow, before you start hauling rotten roadkill to your training grounds, you may find that you can equally well proof him with stuff from your pantry or fridge. He apparently likes to satisfy his canine desire to eat stuff. I think I'd try to train with other food as a distraction that's less nasty first.

The "cure" is not any special tool. (e-collar, leash, etc.) But those kinds of equipment can be part of a stepwise process to help reinforce obedience in the face of distractions.

Good luck!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    .....The "cure" is not any special tool. (e-collar, leash, etc.) But those kinds of equipment can be part of a stepwise process to help reinforce obedience in the face of distractions.

Good luck!

makes me think of the Jerry story of the teenage son, the mailbox and the friendly next door girl in a bikini.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

More kibble?
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    More kibble?
    This reminds me of a story....

Regular RTF readers who've seen this before, please ignore...I've posted this before.

There is a retriever guy, still active today, who used to run the AKC FT circuit. He had a dog with a hardmouth problem. He eventually chose to take a fresh killed mallard and put it in the dog box several hours before the trial started. The dog ate what he wanted (the story goes that it was the whole bird). His desire to crunch birds was fixed for that day.

I wasn't there. I can't prove or disprove. But I can believe it.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    All of our dogs need to be proofed on obedience and gradually learn to obey in the face of distraction.

For your dog, a temptation is to eat carrion. I don't think you realize how lucky you are! Some dogs think it is just awesome to flop down, roll on their back and "break-dance" all over dead, rotten stuff. I'd rather have a dog eat some of that stuff than totally coat himself.

Anyhow, before you start hauling rotten roadkill to your training grounds, you may find that you can equally well proof him with stuff from your pantry or fridge. He apparently likes to satisfy his canine desire to eat stuff. I think I'd try to train with other food as a distraction that's less nasty first.

The "cure" is not any special tool. (e-collar, leash, etc.) But those kinds of equipment can be part of a stepwise process to help reinforce obedience in the face of distractions.

Good luck!

Yeah, we'll my 11 year old HRCH/MH ate a dead alligator this weekend.
    Order in which things stink;

rotten fish < rotten crabs < rotten shrimp <<<<< rotten gator

Nothing smells as bad as a bloated rotted gator. I tossed a the remains of one in my neighbors trash can last season because the neighbor is a winter resident and I didn't think he would be down until October and it was August. He came down the night before the trash was to go out. He was about to call the police because he though there was a dead body in his trash. I got home just as he was calling. He wasn't real happy.

BTW - Chris I got your message. I had no phone service over the weekend. I was in a doctors appointment when you called today. I will catch up with you sometime this week.
    Last edited by badbullgator; 11-05-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Thank you. I am definitely going to wait on the dead animals. I have a ton of super tempting treats(i.e. steak) that I can continue working with and then when I see he is flawless with those, I will find something even harder to resist. Also, I now am happy that he is only eating it and not rolling around in it. Hopefully I can condition the problem so that he never wants either.

Quote Originally Posted by jleve206 View Post
    Thank you. I am definitely going to wait on the dead animals. I have a ton of super tempting treats(i.e. steak) that I can continue working with and then when I see he is flawless with those, I will find something even harder to resist. Also, I now am happy that he is only eating it and not rolling around in it. Hopefully I can condition the problem so that he never wants either.

Never is a long time. But if you are consistent, patient and persistent, you will likely succeed at an obedience standard that makes you happy.

Good luck!

Chris

I would not own a dog that would not eat some thing he finds dead,my dogs run free 50% of the time they are always bringing things back to the house
    at the age of your dog he is just hunting,not a bad thing.....for a hunting dog,as they get older they will out grow it.They will learn that it is more fun hunting for you,to me now he is unsure so hunting for the first best thing he can find. with age will come wisdom...let a dog be a dog..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Yeah, we'll my 11 year old HRCH/MH ate a dead alligator this weekend.
    Order in which things stink;

rotten fish < rotten crabs < rotten shrimp <<<<< rotten gator

Nothing smells as bad as a bloated rotted gator. . . . .
    but I just readed above they outgrow that?????

and what does a badbullgator smell like?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin