The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eating dead animals

I use the "Leave it" command for these type of issues. I call "leave it" anything I don't want in my dogs mouth. I begin with the dog on the leash and a dry biscuit. I toss the biscuit just out of reach and when the dog goes for it I give him the command (I usually have a little more urgency in my voice). When the dog looks to me I instantly reward with a separate meaty treat. I do that about 3-4 times, until the dog no longer has interest in the dry biscuit. At that point I up the level of difficultly by adding something more interesting than a dry biscuit (a steak, shoe, dead animal, etc.). I go through the same process. Once he's no longer focusing on the "Leave it" item I put it in motion. I walk the dog all around it, over it, and even pick it up and drop it right in front of him. If the dog goes for it I cover the item with my foot so he can't get it and give him the command. If he leaves it like I want I'll give him a treat if not I just move him away so he can't get it. After about 3-4 days of this with a treat reward the dog becomes pretty reliable to the command. At that point I always give him praise. I call it my life saving command because you never know when you'll need it. I've called my boys off of skunks, other dogs, food, you name it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    but I just readed above they outgrow that?????

and what does a badbullgator smell like?

They do, but then there is that whole "second puppyhood" thing. Or maybe it is the "I know I am retired so now I do what I want" thing.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke