The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: still iffy with ducks

Default still iffy with ducks

dog is almost 1 and hope to have her in the blind this year, but still is inconsistent picking up ducks in the yard and field. The few frozen ducks I have are getting pretty bad from tossing around the yard so i'm losing hope that I will see what I want out of her before we go hunting and these birds fall apart.

she had no issues with live pigeons a few months back. more pigeons & less old nasty ducks?? haven't forced on any bird yet

what to do?

any 1st timers wanted a "do over" with their 1st dog? well i do

using the same froze duck for a year, while frugal. It not the best plan.
    find yourself a training group that shoots live ducks and start dropping some cash on birds.
    a steady diet of live tossed birds and nice warm blood oozing fresh dead birds should
    spruce Rover right up.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by WAPPS12H View Post
    any 1st timers wanted a "do over" with their 1st dog? well i do

all of um.
    I was lucky as my first retriever was the smartest dog that ever lived and was able to forgive me for most of my total bonehead moves.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

yea I wish I could start over at 7 weeks, oh well

might be hard to get some duck live flyers but can probably get some pigeons to do the same with,

Get ahold of one of the local retriever club people, someone who helps run the events. Ask them where they get their ducks for tests/trials, then give this outfit a call and get yourself some. The club contact might even help you.
    Renee P

Senior Member Richard McCullough's Avatar

WAPPS12H
    PM me I know a couple places you can get live birds, it will be a little drive (2-3 hours) for you, but it will be worth it.

I got the do over with my second pup, I do wish I new then what I know now with my first one. but I have had great folks helping me with him.
    4XGMPR HRCH Lankas Labs Brandys Maximillion MH "Max"

1.5XGMPR HR Rick's Rooster Smasher of DRL SH "Eli"

APR HR Bearpoint's They Call Me The Breeze SH "Breeze"

The New Club; Piedmont Pointing Labrador Club

A frozen duck is ---well, frozen, as in hard -possibly nasty but a great training tool. Got a few hiding from my wife in the chasm's of the freezer.
    Question: Does the dog do the same with bumpers? Important question. Most all dogs like them fresh flyers, but they don't always bring them back. Did your pup?
    "she had no issues with live pigeons a few months back"

Good luck!
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

well 7pn, at the time we did the live pigeons she was on a long check cord so she had to come back.

she does well with bumpers, used a mallard dokken last night for the 1st time and she didn't have any issues picking it up