The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: still iffy with ducks

Quote Originally Posted by WAPPS12H View Post
    well 7pn, at the time we did the live pigeons she was on a long check cord so she had to come back.

Understand she had to come back. But was the bird in mouth? I ask, cause I had one that would go like hell to retrive. then sit there and look at the bird as if what do i do now. I would real him in without the bird in mouth. The usual progression is bumper, frozen bird, dead fresh bird, then live birds.

Ultimately the problem was fixed by ff. Good luck to you with dem nasty ol birds!
    Ps i have some from last year. Just tossed a few for a friend. They worked
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by 7pntail View Post
    ..... The usual progression is bumper, frozen bird, dead fresh bird, then live birds.

unless your one of those goofy so-and-so's that start doing live bird puppy marks at 10 weeks
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

oh I get you now, yes the bird was in her mouth. I will probably start the progression over and see where we get. frozen, thawed and live again.

Do most of you ff on birds at some point?

You mean you didn't...Hint, Hint...
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

ok ok I got ya

oh I get you now, yes the bird was in her mouth. I will probably start the progression over and see where we get. frozen, thawed and live again.

Do most of you ff on birds at some point?

yup. And you will be happy you did. Good luck, and at her age, it is prime time. I use the Spencer method. Takes some time--and it is not a race.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Not familiar with the spencer method where do you find this

Guy's, I guess i've been asleep, so please tell me, what book, video or professional trainer is advocating forcing on game these days?
    GG
    NO DOG WILL PERFORM TO HIS TRAINING LEVEL UNLESS HIS HANDLER IS CAPABLE OF MAKING HIM DO SO!
    reibar.com

Yes another take, gg you're probably the poster I remember saying don't do it

Not familiar with the spencer method where do you find this
    Spencer is ol skool--low impact, a non boot camp conditioned hold. In fact, James is probably almost 90?? The guy called me to see how I was progressing in the early 90,s! I will never forget that phone call. The method is slow, but works well (IMHO) for us non -pro's.

But, the same principle is in many books, videos ( U-tube) etc.. Don't need to reinvent the wheel here. Ear pinch, timing, praise, consistency. Just take it slow. His Book, that adorns my shelf is called "Retriever Training for Marshes and Meadow's" Good luck to you!
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

Aldo Leopold