The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ACL drawer test

Not doing the surgery isin't an option. He will be a hunting dog at the least. I hope to get him back to running tests/trials. I don't know that you would call him a superstar. He made the derby list in 4 starts but other than that he hasn't seen much competition. I'm not a serious trialer, more of a hunt tester that dabbles at this point. My plan was to run Q's and finished/master with him this spring--obviously that is no longer the plan. Well take it in stride and hopefully everything goes well and he can get back in action.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    . The practice has easily performed over 100,000 TPLOs in the past 10 years.
    That calculates to about 40 TPLO's a day or approx $140,000 revenue per day.

seems a little high

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by claimsadj View Post
    Not doing the surgery isin't an option. He will be a hunting dog at the least. I hope to get him back to running tests/trials. I don't know that you would call him a superstar. He made the derby list in 4 starts but other than that he hasn't seen much competition. I'm not a serious trialer, more of a hunt tester that dabbles at this point. My plan was to run Q's and finished/master with him this spring--obviously that is no longer the plan. Well take it in stride and hopefully everything goes well and he can get back in action.
    Here's hoping the surgery and rehab go smoothly and the two of you are back in training next year.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Quote Originally Posted by claimsadj View Post
    I think you can plan on competing in the spring. However, that means a big commitment from you to do the rehabilitation faithfully and fully. I have rehabbed 2 of my dogs myself after TPLO surgery and they both went on to be top-notch HT dogs and both won licensed Q's. Neither dog had problems with the other knee. Good luck! I'm glad to see you took everyone's advice seriously.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Mine had the first one done and was back to training in 2-3 months and trialing in 4-5 months. She went 3 years before she partially tore the other one. I had the tplo done as soon as I saw the limping when she was tired the 2nd time. She was back in training in 2 months and trialing right afterward. She's still trialing as a 6 year old, and I expect she'll continue to do so for a few more years.

The first one there was no rehab vet in Anchorage then. The second one we had a rehab vet and I took the dog to her twice a week and then once a week.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Can someone give me a brief summary of what to expect with the rehab?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That calculates to about 40 TPLO's a day or approx $140,000 revenue per day.

seems a little high

Mark
    No. That would be about right.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

There is an ebooklet that you can download for free at the following site that goes through the rehab for TPLO plus others types of surgery. It will give you a good play by play of the rehab procedure. I went quicker than recommended in the booklet with my girl and took her for underwater treadmill program beginning the day after the sutures were removed. There are some adds in the booklet but you can disregard them if you wish.

http://topdoghealth.com/home-rehab-g...teotomy-guide/

Hope this helps and if you have any questions just ask. Many here will help.

I just had the TTA done after my 6 and 1/2 year old tore his cruciate in the third series of the AM in St Louis a few weeks ago. I took him into the clinic after the trial, sunday night and left him, they performed the surgery on the following tuesday. I left him at the clinic for the first 2 weeks of rehad which consisted of about 20 hours in the kennel and 4 hours spred out thought the day (24 hrs), of him walking on a very tight lead.
    When the staples were removed, he was brought home - his rehab no consists of about 14 hours in his kennel and 10 hours of tight lead walking - including up and down hills, and swimming. This will continue for 6 weeks, at which time he will return to the clinic for x-rays and manulipation to determine if hs is healed up enough to go "off lead" for walks and swimming and light running until he is back to 100 percent - Note - lots of fun as he is a Cosmo son and his idea of moving at all is at full speed.
    To date all is going well and he swam about 300 yards the other day. Looking forward to the next check up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Steve

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought." Matsuo Basho

"Don't find fault, find a remedy." Henry Ford

"If you can't accept losing, you can't win." Vince Lombardi

Thanks for the link. Rehab scares me with this dog more than anything. He believes he is a rodeo bull. I have steps going into the house. Should I make him a ramp?