The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ACL drawer test

Quote Originally Posted by terrax View Post
    There is an ebooklet that you can download for free at the following site that goes through the rehab for TPLO plus others types of surgery. It will give you a good play by play of the rehab procedure. I went quicker than recommended in the booklet with my girl and took her for underwater treadmill program beginning the day after the sutures were removed. There are some adds in the booklet but you can disregard them if you wish.

http://topdoghealth.com/home-rehab-g...teotomy-guide/

Hope this helps and if you have any questions just ask. Many here will help.

Well, I'm not sure of the quality of the entire document but looking at the table of contents it probably contains more useful rehab info than is available to the average owner anywhere else. Probably worth paying for the download.

Also, the guys topdoghealth website has a rehab directory map that shows rehab facilities around the country in Maps.Google. Not entirely accurate but a good start.
    Last edited by Breck; 11-08-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by claimsadj View Post
    Can someone give me a brief summary of what to expect with the rehab?
    Yes.
    First there have been many field champions made after TPLO so if you like the dog and rehab goes good go for it. I agree with what Ted says but if your not the type of person that parts with dogs easily there is still hope for yours. Just be aware that at any time the other leg may blow. On the other hand it may not.

It will be a big big plus if your Dr. does the TPLO using Non Invasive Arthroscopic techniques. If he is not up to date and does the old fashion lay the knee open technique your dog will take longer to recover. Also there is a bone healing amendment (a goop I forget the name of that applied to the otomy speeds bone healing) Ask about it.

As for rehab.
    It takes 7-10 days for suture site to heal. Great care should be taken to avoid infection.
    It takes 8-10 weeks for the otomy to heel. (This is where the bone was cut in two).
    You must be careful during the first 8 weeks of rehab so not to risk breaking the repair. The first week or so require you support the dog with a sling when airing so it can be a chore.

Bone pain is the worst kind of pain so the first week make sure you have the meds you may need on hand and make sure dog is as pain free as possible.

If you have a good rehab plan and are diligent about taking care of your dog everyday you could be back to training in around 4 months.

The most difficult procedures for an owner to do at home are the early post surgical care and early rehab.
    Given a choice, if you could leave dog with a rehab pro for at least 4 weeks 24/7 that would be helpful. Then you could take over.

If you have a land treadmill handy or one you can borrow you will need one in a few weeks.

Grazie

I found ice packs and massage of great benefit during the early stages, about 7-10 days post surgery. Massage from the toes towards the hip and knead any areas where fluid has built up in the tissue.
    As for stairs, they are not a problem if you can control your dog enough to go slowly, one step at a time, but if not then a ramp would be recommended so he will not possibly damage the healing bone.
    Also the sling under the posterior abdomen is a good idea to help support the dog while walking in the early stages post-op. I needed it for my last dog, both hind legs but not with my present dog.
    Take it slow and steady.

I did most of the rehab myself from the TPLO.

First, I would recommend buying a harness. I like the ones made by Ruff Wear.
    http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-H...&category=1131

The harness makes it easier to make sure that the dog does not bear unnecessary weight on the repaired leg - like when you air the dog 4x a day. It also helps to when you have to lift the dog into the car to take it to the vet.

Second, I dedicated the kitchen to the dog. I left a bed in the kitchen. At my house, the kitchen feeds into the back yard, so it was easier to help her into yard when she had to air. Also, it made it convenient when I had to ice her leg down 4x a day.

Third, once a week, I took her to the rehab facility, where they put her on the underwater treadmill.

Fourth, I walked her 4x a day (increasing the length gradually) and stretched and iced her afterwards.

If you want to do it right, it's alot of work.

Ted
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

First, I would recommend buying a harness. I like the ones made by Ruff Wear.
    http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-H...&category=1131
    Ted

If I may make a suggestion regarding the harness.
    Ruffwear makes a dog Backpack with pockets you can add weight to. The backpack is very similar to the Harness so I think could serve both purposes. During rehab you will want the dog to carry more weight while on the treadmill and on walks. For weight ask your vet for a bunch of bags of saline solution to use.
    http://www.ruffwear.com/Approach-Pack?sc=2&category=13

Grazie

Thanks guys. It sounds like rehab is key. I work an hour from home now but I can take juice to work with me everyday and get his rehab in that way. My work vehicle is an suc so I can lift him in and out pretty easily. I could always leave him at home during the day but if he needs walks and ice/heat multiple tines a day he needs to be with me. Thanks for all of the input and help. Can't wait to get him back rolling.

FWIW I talked with someone at dr Milton's clinic about the possibility of doing both knees now. I got a no. They said even if both were torn they would prefer to do one then do the other in 6 weeks or so. I do know that it can be done however. Has anyone done both at once when only one was injured?

FWIW I talked with someone at dr Milton's clinic about the possibility of doing both knees now. I got a no. They said even if both were torn they would prefer to do one then do the other in 6 weeks or so. I do know that it can be done however. Has anyone done both at once when only one was injured?
    I talked to my vet when Missy was getting ready for her second TPLO. I was wondering if I had to do it with another dog if getting both done when the dog had to get the first done. My doc said he preferred to do it that way and there was some literature supporting that. That was a couple of years back. I don't know what he would suggest now but if I have to do another one I think I'd go that direction.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Howard are you saying he preferred to do both at once or space them out? My reading comprehension is about a 5th grade level.

Howard are you saying he preferred to do both at once or space them out? My reading comprehension is about a 5th grade level.
    Most surgeons would be reluctant to do both at once fearing the consequences of complications the odds of which are effectively doubled. My dog lost one year at a very critical point in his training because the second tear occurred after he was fully recovered from the first. If I have the same scenario again, a relatively young dog with a CCL tear, I would try to get my surgeon to do both at the same time. In a young athletic dog I suspect the likelihood of a second tear may approach 75%.

You can definitely do the rehab yourself, the underwater treadmill is helpful but not essential. I much prefer weight pulling to weight carrying as Breck suggested. Weight carrying loads the spine and alters the gait to some degree. Also it does not directly target the rear limb muscles the way weight pulling does.