The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fast Eater

The goofy bowls didn't work for my three. Age seems to slow them down a bit. Never tried the big rock but I'm afeared they would eat the rock.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

My friend scatters the dog food on the floor. It's kinda funny to watch the dog run around hunting for the kibble.

Maybe a baking pan/cookie pan would also work if you don't want to throw it directly on the ground?
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Use a solo cup and sprinkle a little food in the bowl at a time. That's what I have to do. I have to stand beside them the whole time they are eating, but it keeps mine from choking. Besides if they are fast eaters it wouldn't take long anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    Put a big rock in his food dish. Also scattering his kibble all over the ground works well, but not always convenient.

Angie
    Yes scatter it on the ground slows them a bit because they gotta pick it up one piece at a time. I am mean but he is a real hoover my youngest!!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Thanks for all of the ideas guys, I appreciate the help. I did try floating the food in a large pan with water but it made it worse. Tonight, I just scattered the food on the floor. This seemed to work better and didn't seem to cause any gulping of air, or not much. It was pretty funny to watch him circle the food trying not to step on it. This method may get a bit scetchy on the road or when is has been raining for days. I live in SW Louisiana and it can get nasty. I think I will try the suggestion of feeding him in small amounts while standing there next to him tomorrow and see how this works. I also like the baking sheet idea, all very good, keep them comming.

Thanks!
    Duckaholic

I scatter my dogs food all over the ground. I just take his proportions and throw it up in the air and let him at it. Takes 5 minutes instead of 5 seconds. Good Luck.

I do use them and they work pretty good. It does slow them down, but I have had one occaision of bloat with air from eating too fast. After a $150 emergency vet run and a tube down his throat to get air out he was okay. Was scary though.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Shanahan View Post
    Tons of different version and colors of these. Haven't used them personally, but they seem like they would work.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/w...572&redirect=y
    Dick

I used a big plastic round tray today to feed him, a crawfish tray if you are from Louisiana. I also placed half of a scoop first then added the other half of the scoop. This method seemed to work fine. He belched a little air but very little. Thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    The goofy bowls didn't work for my three. Age seems to slow them down a bit. Never tried the big rock but I'm afeared they would eat the rock.

They work very well for me. cuts the labragator's eating time in half.

John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by duckaholiclll View Post
    I used a big plastic round tray today to feed him, a crawfish tray if you are from Louisiana.
    We used to use those cardboard box bottoms from cases of soda. Lined em with newspaper and had a good time. Laissez les bons temps rouler
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.