RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Fast Eater

5K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Richard Davis 
#1 ·
I have a 7 month old pup that litterally gorges himself to the point of choking while eating. I went to a larger kibble then I started floating his food in a large bowl. This has not help and is now worse because he gulps air and water and I'm afraid of bloat. I'm thinking about feeding him on the ground. Anyone ever solved this problem? This dog has an unbelievable food drive.

Duckaholic

#4 ·
Make sure it is a really big one, my dog ate the rock when i did that.

Im sure those special dog bowls work but we use the ******* version. Take a baking pan and muffin pan that are the same size. Invert the muffin pan and place it in the baking pan. Just like magic you have a specialty bowl. Also for my dog we use the smallest chunk that we can get because no matter how big the chunk he will not chew it. The smaller chunk helps to keep him from choking, even if he is swallowing it whole.

#6 ·
My girls are fast eaters. We bought a slow feeder bowl with the protrusions in the middle and they help. If your dog is as bad as he sounds, feed him in a cupcake tin. Only a bit of food in each cupcake hole. Then they have to work to get the kibble. We were going to do this next but our girls, while still eating fast, seem to be fine with the slow feeder bowls. Rocks (big ones they have to eat around) work, or tennis balls. Just obstacles they have to work around to get to the food that should slow it down. I have also know people to feed there dogs in treat dispensing toys. Its a much slower disbursement.

Ann

#7 ·
We put a couple plastic measuring cups in our little pig's bowl. I use them to measure the food anyway, and then just throw them in. It slows him down a little because he has to move them around to get to the food. I've also heard to put tennis balls in the bowl.

#9 ·
I scatter it in the kennel floor-works well. I've had clients use the funny bowls and like them. Have heard of hte giant rocks too. Lots of options-
Is another dog near him when he eats? Sometimes eliminating the competition will slow them down too.

#10 ·
I have a 7 month old pup that litterally gorges himself to the point of choking while eating. I went to a larger kibble then I started floating his food in a large bowl. This has not help and is now worse because he gulps air and water and I'm afraid of bloat. I'm thinking about feeding him on the ground. Anyone ever solved this problem? This dog has an unbelievable food drive.

Duckaholic
FC Ruckus is the world's fastest eater. I swear he eats as fast as he can, and then when he is finished he looks up as if to day "Done" like a time trial. :D I tried everything to slow him down. The muffin tins didn't work. He would get frustrated and fling them. The cookie sheet didn't work - frustrated and it would get flung across the floor. Break fast bowl - yeah right. Waste of money. So were all the others. A big bowl with a big rock worked the best, but he took it as a challenge. I did switch to a more grain free good, and that lessened the gas. Before the food change, I could press on his stomach, and he would belch. Since he is with a pro a lot, and the kennel is away from the house, I had his stomach tacked using a scope (Gastropexy), just so I didn't worry about him torsioning. Keeping him away from the other dogs in the kennel during eating helped. Perceived competition made it worse. I have talked to several field trialers who have this issue. Seems to be better when the dogs are at home. Less dogs = less excitement.

Good luck. I spent way too much time worrying about this. Hope you don't.

#19 ·
They work very well for me. cuts the labragator's eating time in half.

#12 ·
My friend scatters the dog food on the floor. It's kinda funny to watch the dog run around hunting for the kibble.

Maybe a baking pan/cookie pan would also work if you don't want to throw it directly on the ground?

#13 ·
Use a solo cup and sprinkle a little food in the bowl at a time. That's what I have to do. I have to stand beside them the whole time they are eating, but it keeps mine from choking. Besides if they are fast eaters it wouldn't take long anyway.

#15 ·
Thanks for all of the ideas guys, I appreciate the help. I did try floating the food in a large pan with water but it made it worse. Tonight, I just scattered the food on the floor. This seemed to work better and didn't seem to cause any gulping of air, or not much. It was pretty funny to watch him circle the food trying not to step on it. This method may get a bit scetchy on the road or when is has been raining for days. I live in SW Louisiana and it can get nasty. I think I will try the suggestion of feeding him in small amounts while standing there next to him tomorrow and see how this works. I also like the baking sheet idea, all very good, keep them comming.

Thanks!
Duckaholic

#16 ·
I scatter my dogs food all over the ground. I just take his proportions and throw it up in the air and let him at it. Takes 5 minutes instead of 5 seconds. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.