The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Training Question

Default Training Question

Hello everyone, Im new to this forum and to the more serious side of training....Ive got a 10month old black lab male that is doing great in his training and got his first two started passes at the SOWEGA test a couple of weekends ago...He has been through OB, CC, FF, 3 handed casting, and we are on our second week of FTP and still going strong. Question is what is everyones thought on hunting season and training? I have talked to several people and read a ton on what I should do when taking the dog out for his first several trips, but failed to ask what to do about the training progression.

Should I get to a stopping point soon and work on getting everything he's learned so far tied together during hunting season? On the other hand im wondering if I should keep going with the progression and use hunting as a break in the repitition of his yard work? I am looking forward to hearing the different opinions and thanks to several members already for their help outside this forum already!

Here's a picture of my buddy "Radford's Hop Scotch Whiskey" call name Scotch
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think you can take him hunting and continue your training. Just keep your standards up when hunting.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"