The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help With Sit Drills???

Default Help With Sit Drills???

Hey guys im working with my 6 month old pup on his sit command. He sits on a whistle extremely well at heel or anywhere 5 feet around me. Although if hes out in the field he will not stop what hes doing and sit if i blast the whistle and hes more than 20 yards away, i have not worked with him much at far distance so i do not expect him to do so. But im was wondering if you guys have any drills that could work on this with him. Like i said he sits on a whistle every time when he is at heel or close by. I just need to work on in the field sits at far distances. I am not using a e-collar yet i am waiting to get him fundamentally sound with all of his commands before using it. Any Ideas and thoughts would be greatly apprechiated.

You are expecting too much at this point in his training. Sitting on a whistle in the field requires a systematic step by step approach. And you are a long way from being there.

Based on your question, I would recommend that you buy one of the retriever training programs (dvds). The three most often discussed on rtf are:
    Total Retriever Training, 2 ed, by Mike Lardy
    Smartworks by Evan Graham
    Fowldogs by Rick S.

I follow TRT but some first time trainers find Smartworks easier. I don't know much about Fowldogs but it is probably the cheapest.

Both TRT and Smartworks have free downloadable training flow charts on their website. The flowcharts don't tell you how to but just indicate the order of the training. If you look on the Lardy flowchart you will see that you are a long way from teaching to sit on the whistle (away from you) in the field.

Hope this helps.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Thanks Wayne i am on a training program with him and i do realize i am a far way away from geting total compliance with sit in the field away from me i was just wondering if any one had any key drills that help kick off and work on this process. Just looking for different ideas thanks for your imput.

Which program are you following?
    Wayne Nutt

Just started TRT

Good. The first drill used in teaching sit to the whistle (away from you) is immediately after Force to the Pile. Teaching to sit on the way to the pile. This continues through TT and by then it should be ingrained in his brain.
    Good luck. I assume you have the second edition?
    Wayne Nutt

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Good. The first drill used in teaching sit to the whistle (away from you) is immediately after Force to the Pile. Teaching to sit on the way to the pile. This continues through TT and by then it should be ingrained in his brain.
    Good luck. I assume you have the second edition?
    Just watched the relevant DVD again - it's the second disc in the TRT program. And actually Wayne, Mike teaches the dog to sit when coming back to you FROM the pile first, then teaches sit on way TO pile second. Which makes sense, because dog is used to coming back and sitting in front of you with the bumper. He says to first, wait til the dog is almost all the way back from pile and approaching you, then whistle sit him. Gradually whistle him earlier and earlier so that he is farther away from you on the return from the pile. Once dog has this mastered, start whistle sitting him on the way TO the pile.

Jen

J, You're right. Maybe I was simplfying too much. That is how Lardy teaches sitting on the way to the pile, first sit on the way back.
    Wayne Nutt

To the original poster:
    As far as drills to teach the skill at 6 months, there aren't many out there that I know of. I can describe to you a drill I'm using that involves a small raised platform, a clicker, the whistle and some treats. Soon the treats are replaced with a bumper or ball throw as the reward. If you are interested, send me a Personal message and I'll describe it to you. It's easier than it may sound.

One caution: don't whistle a sit too much when dog is right beside you, such as in the heel position. You want the whistle to mean, turn around and face me when you sit, not just "sit". Using the platform drill I use, once the dog learns to get on the platform and sit facing me, I start adding distance and throw a bumper to one side or the other mimicking a right or left handle. Dog learns that: if handler toots whistle and I turn around to look and sit, handler will throw a retrieve or handle me to a retrieve. Very rewarding.

Jen

This question is for you Jen,
    I have a 17 month old female that has her solid basics, including FF, Force to pile, Double T, is solid on her casts and we have been doing working on our 9 point drill and making great progress. But, I am having a hard time squaring her up on her whistle sits in route to pile. I don't want to transition to cold blinds until we have everything in working order. Do you have any suggestions? I have used Lardy's system with her and don't like jumping back and forth between training systems.

Thank you